Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Inserting a new line into an already existing file Post 302667403 by hemalathak10 on Friday 6th of July 2012 08:26:46 AM
Old 07-06-2012
Java Inserting a new line into an already existing file

hello ..

I am new to perl scripting, I have a text file, and would like to insert 3 new lines into the same file at different line numbers using perl scripting. Any Help regarding this will be very useful.

say the file is sample.txt, contents are

Code:
aaaaa
bbbb
ccccc
dddd
eeeee
ffffffff
ggggg

now i want to insert 3 new lines into the file, it should be as follows

Code:
aaaaa
bbbb
ccccc
dddd
eeeee
ffffffff
ggggg

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 07-06-2012 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print one line of Existing File

Hi all, I need to know what command/s I can use to print lines from a file. I cannot do pattern matching, so grepping for a string is not possible. I'd like to say "print line 3" etc. Any ideas? Ta. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danhodges99
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting Date&Time Stamp In Existing Log File

I am trying to insert a line with a date stamp in a file that is used to monitor activity in one of our directories. By doing this, I want to grep that file each day and go to the last entry for each time a error occurred and pull all errors generated if any exist. If error exists I want that error... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shephardfamily
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting New Line in File using Sed ??

Dear All, I have a file called football where i have a list of 11 players each on different lines. I wish to add a name of another player on the first line. I have created a file called footballscript in vi writing the following sed command to achieve this ... cat football | sed -e '1 i\... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mary_xxx
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing and inserting common line in other file

Hi, I have two files-- file1- file2:- i have to compare two files and where the uid is same i have to take the password and insert it above the telephone number. the output should be like this-- uid : 1418 common so insert the password thbs above the line telephonenumber. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting a new line in a file

I'm sure you guys have answered this elsewhere but I can't seem to find where so here goes. #!/bin/bash n=120 a=$(sed '120q;d' energy.xvg) while ;do a=$(sed $n'q;d' energy.xvg) echo "$a \n" > newfile n=$(($n+100)) done exit 0 that script should read the file energy.xvg, start at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gelitini
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help in Inserting a new line in a file using PERL

I need a perl script to find and replace a specific pattern in a file to a new line. BAsically I have a single line data in a file with 10 mb to 200 MB. I want to put a new line based on a specific pattern to open the file in Excel / Access. Following is the sample data in a file ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: portalfaq
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting line to a file

I have posted it previously but somehow could not delete the previous post.I felt i could not explain the problem statement well. Here t goes.I have a file say File1. Now i need a specific pattern from the lines to be added to the other line. File: red blue green ABC.txt@ABC END black... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ngupta
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting IP in one line of a file

Hi, I have this line: ip=111.222.133.144,mac=00:16:3E:2A:08:3C,vifname=veth360','ip=10.2.3.4,vifname=veth360a' ^ | ------- I want to insert this IP 144.133.222.111 between "144"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting a line in a file after every alternate line

Friends , I have a large file and i need to insert a line after every line.I am actually unaware how to do it.Any help appreciated. My File control station *ATM* , qread $OSS.Jul13A.FI01 interval 1 intcount 1 control station *ATM* , qread $OSS.Jul13A.FI02 interval 1 intcount... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: appu2176
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting a line to a file

Hi, consider a file called mobile.txt as follows: For type lovers, add a new line at the end of it by copying its previous line and add a +1 to the field1, field2 Additionally, there are only 3 plans available to lovers type, so it should not work for lovers type already having 3 lines under... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gautham
11 Replies
Rscript(1)								FSF								Rscript(1)

NAME
Rscript - front end for scripting with R SYNOPSIS
Rscript [--options] [-e expr] file [args] DESCRIPTION
A binary front-end to R, for use in scripting applications. expr An optional expression to be evaluated, used in place of expr. file Input file of R expressions args Optional further arguments to be processed by commandArgs in the R interpreter. OPTIONS
--options accepted are --help Print usage and exit --version Print version and exit --verbose Print information on progress --default-packages=list Where 'list' is a comma-separated set of package names, or 'NULL' and also options to R (in addition to --slave --no-restore), such as --save Do save workspace at the end of the session --no-environ Don't read the site and user environment files --no-site-file Don't read the site-wide Rprofile --no-init-file Don't read the user R profile --restore Do restore previously saved objects at startup --vanilla Combine --no-save, --no-restore, --no-site-file --no-init-file and --no-environ SEE ALSO
R(1) R scripting April 2007 Rscript(1)