Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sed Wildcard
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed Wildcard Post 302666991 by elixir_sinari on Thursday 5th of July 2012 11:16:29 AM
Old 07-05-2012
What have you tried which is not working?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single character wildcard for SED

Could someone tell me the single character wildcard for SED? I have the file below: $ more input2 AAA /A/B/C BBB /D/E/F CCC /G/H/I DDD I want to remove all strings which contain forward slashs "/" to get the below: AAA BBB CCC I tried to do it in SED by the command below but I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help/wildcard substitution

I need to perform the following substitutions and have been struggling to determine if or how I can do this with sed or perl. I need to change the string foo(bar) to moo(bar,0) wherever this occurs in a file. Is there a way to do this? I'm thinking there might be a wildcard of some sort that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike@NZ
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut string with wildcard (sed)

i got text file and contain.... SKYPE Dec 11 09:26:05 IN=eth0 OUT=eth1 SRC=75.38.161.80 DST=192.168.1.56 PROTO=UDP SPT=30645 DPT=12630 LEN=66 SKYPE Dec 11 09:26:05 IN=eth1 OUT=eth0 SRC=192.168.1.56 DST=118.109.39.86 PROTO=UDP SPT=12630 DPT=15889 LEN=75 SKYPE Dec 11 09:26:05 IN=eth1 OUT=eth0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slackman
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

use sed do batch wildcard string replace

Hi, Here is what I want to do I want to search local directory and its sub directory, all the files which contain any string like _12345, then remove this string. String is a combination of _ plus a random integer number. For example, here is one line in a file before <properties... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bp5000
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to delete lines from a file by using wildcard

I have a text file with tons of data and I want to remove all lines which are have "240" regardless of ABC or BCD and shouldnt delete anything else ABC_10_00024045.zip blah blah ABC_10_00024045.zip.new ABC_10_00024046.zip blah blah ABC_10_00024046.zip.new ABC_10_00024446.zip blah blah... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed delete wildcard within a string

Hi I would like to batch delete the "note" entry from bib files. The start would be defined by "note ={" and the end by "}." (see example bib entry below). I tried the following command which does not have any effect: cat input.bib| sed -e 's/note = {.*}.//' > output.bib Any help would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gerggeismann
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcard in sed substitution

I have a number of strings that I want to remove: <b>Task: 100</b> <b>Task: 1100 </b> <b>Task: 2200 </b> But the numbers in them can vary from 4, 5 8, digits in length. But, no alpha chars. I tried this: sed '/Task:/,//d' $file > tmpfile ; mv tmpfile $file But it removed additional text on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba_frog
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcard use with SED command

Hello, I am fairly new to Linux in general and I am trying to use SED to make some replacements in a file. Below is sample of what the file is like. <Grouping id="024"><Source>ABC</Source><GroupingKey>000000000816</GroupingKey></Grouping><Grouping... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: runforfun7
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed using wildcard

Hi Folks, I had a requirement to replace a pattern a.*a with 'a' alone. I'm writing a sed command to do that. But I'm not able to work this out. Pls help me. echo 'a123a456a789' | sed 's/a.*a/a/' Expected o/p : a456a789 But actual o/p is a789. :confused: how can write that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: poova
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace characters using a wildcard

Hello, I have some data that looks like the following, > <SALTDATA> (OVS0199262) HCl > <IDNUMBER> (OVS0199262) OVS0199262 > <SUPPLIER> (OVS0199262) TimTec > <EMAIL> (OVS0199262) info@timtec.net > <WEBSITE> (OVS0199262) http://www.timtec.net I need to remove the data in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies
GPE-QUESTION(1) 						   gpe-question 						   GPE-QUESTION(1)

NAME
gpe-question - GPE interface for asking questions from shell scripts. SYNOPSIS
gpe-question [---icon] name {--question "Question text"} {--buttons icon1:text1} [icon2:text2 ...] DESCRIPTION
This manual page was written for the Debian(TM) distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. gpe-question provides dialogues to raise a question within the GPE Palmtop Environment with cancel and ok buttons. OPTIONS
--question STRING The question to ask the user via the dialogue. --buttons type:label The type and label of the button(s) to be shown. Repeat for additional buttons. EXAMPLES
gpe-question "test" --question "Do you want to check first?" --buttons YES:yes NO:no AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> for the Debian(TM) system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. AUTHOR
Moray Allen Author. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007 Neil Williams Debian 1 January 16, 2007 GPE-QUESTION(1)