Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: convoluted code
The Lounge War Stories convoluted code Post 302666549 by alister on Wednesday 4th of July 2012 05:23:49 PM
Old 07-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
Footnote: For anybody following this thread, this is a discussion thread.
@jgt is expert and definitely did not ask this question.
I must confess that I was confused until that footnote clued me in to the fact that I wasn't in the shell scripting forum anymore (got here via the 'new posts' link). Smilie

Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
Until looking at unix.com I had never seen the for var in <open-ended list> construct ever ... and still wonder which course/manual/book/rumour it comes from?
I don't know for certain, but my first impulse is to blame GNU Bash. I've seen that idiom recommended as the correct way to work around the fact that the final command in a bash pipeline runs in a subshell.

From the Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide's Bash Gotchas:
Code:
# Loop piping troubles.
#  This example by Anthony Richardson,
#+ with addendum by Wilbert Berendsen.

foundone=false
find $HOME -type f -atime +30 -size 100k |
while true
do
   read f
   echo "$f is over 100KB and has not been accessed in over 30 days"
   echo "Consider moving the file to archives."
   foundone=true
   # ------------------------------------
     echo "Subshell level = $BASH_SUBSHELL"
   # Subshell level = 1
   # Yes, we're inside a subshell.
   # ------------------------------------
done

#  foundone will always be false here since it is
#+ set to true inside a subshell
if [ $foundone = false ]
then
   echo "No files need archiving."
fi

# =====================Now, here is the correct way:=================

foundone=false
for f in $(find $HOME -type f -atime +30 -size 100k)  # No pipe here.
do
   echo "$f is over 100KB and has not been accessed in over 30 days"
   echo "Consider moving the file to archives."
   foundone=true
done

if [ $foundone = false ]
then
   echo "No files need archiving."
fi

Regards,
Alister

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how i prepare a c++ code(c code) for implementing my own protocol format

helo my protocol format is given below { destno,mode,no.of packet,pktsize,,pktno,textsize,CRC} description:- { is starting flag destno - 4bytes mode - 1 byte no.of pkt - 4byes pktsize - 6 bytes ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

translate ksh code to csh code

hi all, Can any 1 help me translate this korn shell code to C shell code : email=$(grep "^$1" $folder/config_2.txt | awk '{print $2'}) In config_2.txt the content is : which mean in korn shell , $1=groupname and $2=email address. Now i need to write in C shell script,when i set the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proghack
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If ‘922’ Code does not exist on ‘03’ Record, ‘901’ Code will be there instead, move ‘03’ R

01,011600033,011600033,110516,0834,2,90,,2/ 02,011600033,011103093,1,110317,0834,,2/ 03,105581,,015,+00000416418,,,901,+00000000148,,,922,+000000 00354,,/ 03,113806,,015,+00000559618,,,901,+00000000096,,,922,+000000 00621,,/ 88,902,+0000000025218,,/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sgoud
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Block of code replacement in Java source code through Unix script

Hi, I want to remove the following code from Source files (or replace the code with empty.) from all the source files in given directory. finally { if (null != hibernateSession && hibernateSession.isOpen()) { //hibernateSession.close(); } } It would be great if the script has... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hareeshram
2 Replies

5. Linux

Go to a line of code , skip few lines of code

Hi , I have a code where i am using a infinite while loop . some thing like below while do if then #go to line 20 fi command 1; command 2; #line 20: sleep 34; (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paarth
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Trying to use a convoluted for loop with VLC and Parallel or OpenMPI with no success. Help?

I have about 12,000,000 mod files I'm trying to turn into a test of "unlimited cloud storage" by running them all through VLC and blowing them into mp3 files. I can get this to work serially but when trying to use openMPI or Parallel, something in the syntax is tripping it up some. Here is an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sparticus414
1 Replies
asadmin-start-domain(1AS)					   User Commands					 asadmin-start-domain(1AS)

NAME
asadmin-start-domain, start-domain - starts the given domain SYNOPSIS
start-domain [--domaindir install_dir/domains] [--terse=false] [--echo=false] [--verbose=false] [--debug] [domain_name] start-domain starts the specified domain. If there is only one domain in the default domain directory (install_dir/domains), then no oper- and is required to start the domain. However, if there is more than one domain, the domain operand must be specified. This command can only be run locally. OPTIONS
--domaindir directory where the domain is to be started. If specified, path must be accessible in the filesystem. If not speci- fied, the domain is started in the default install_dir/domains directory. --terse indicates that any output data must be very concise, typically avoiding human-friendly sentences and favoring well- formatted data for consumption by a script. Default is false. --echo setting to true will echo the command line statement on the standard output. Default is false. --verbose by default this flag is set to false. If set to true, detailed server startup output is displayed. Press CTRL-C to kill the server. Press CTRL- to print a thread dump. --debug by default this flag is set to false. If set to true, the server is started in debug mode and prints the JPDA port on the console. OPERANDS
domain_name name of the domain. Must be a unique name. Example 1: Using start-domain asadmin> start-domain sampleDomain Starting Domain sampleDomain, please wait. Domain sampleDomain started Where: the sampleDomain domain is started. EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command asadmin-create-domain(1AS), asadmin-delete-domain(1AS), asadmin-stop-domain(1AS), asadmin-list-domains(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-start-domain(1AS)