Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware DD command using block device as input Post 302666057 by nytty on Tuesday 3rd of July 2012 03:27:08 PM
Old 07-03-2012
Alright, I get your point. I though that using /dev/sdb1 moves to position 0 Smilie
AFAIK hdparm only gives you the speed of the disk and not the time of reading a given amount of data.

So far with my tests I find that reading 16kb takes about the same time as reading 512b. I need this information to set the optimal page size of my system (oracle and mysql suggest these sizes)

Can you elaborate on why dropping the caches is a bad idea?
How about this sudo procedure:
- drop_caches
- flush disk-cache with hdparm
- make sure dd is in memory
- position the read head randomly on disk
- with DD: read X amount of bytes from the beginning of my file (this is timed)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the command for listing the device specs in solaris

Im looking to get the statistics on a machine memory, cpu speed drive size etc thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simplimarvelous
3 Replies

2. Solaris

block device problem

Hi ...... I have file system problem when i try to mount get the following message : mount: /dev/rdsk/c1t4d0s7 not a block device .... I run fsck it's ok ,,,, after run newfs -N /dev/dsk/c1t4d0s7 and fsck -o b=535952 /dev/dsk/c1t4d0s7 .............it's ok ........ At the and when i try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tt155
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with output of find command being input to basename command...

Hi, I am triying to make sure that there exists only one file with the pattern abc* in path /path/. This directory is having many huge files. If there is only one file then I have to take its complete name only to use furter in my script. I am planning to do like this: if ; then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_learner
2 Replies

4. Linux

shrinking root partition and using free space to create a block device

We are intending to protect a set of user specified files using LVM mirroring where the protected space on which the user files are stored is mirrored on an LV on a different disk. Our problem is that for a user with a custom layout has installed linux with 2 partitons for swap and / and there is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kickdgrass
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

How to Block the USB device

Hi friends, I wanna know how to block USB devices in my RedHat flavor Operating system. regards, Prakash (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakashkumar41
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Block device fs vs normal directory

I talked with this guy who seems to think loop mounting a fs ext3 image on a directory, as opposed to just using the underlying filesystem, will work better as far as IO conflicts. I have no idea why this would be better? I haven't been able to contact him. Basically we have a daemon that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevenswj
0 Replies

7. Linux

Block device fs vs normal directory

I use CentOS I talked with this guy who seems to think loop mounting a fs ext3 image on a directory, as opposed to just using the underlying filesystem, will work better as far as IO conflicts. I have no idea why this would be better? I haven't been able to contact him. Basically we have a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevenswj
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device after ssh command

Hello everyone I am finishing a script allowing me to purge logs on multiple servers, i have one last pb with the ssh command.........it is throwing me the following error : tcgetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device (full screen in attached file 1, full script in attached file 2) It... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy75_13
15 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to see the logical volume path, device mapper path and its corresponding dm device path

Currently I am using this laborious command lvdisplay | awk '/LV Path/ {p=$3} /LV Name/ {n=$3} /VG Name/ {v=$3} /Block device/ {d=$3; sub(".*:", "/dev/dm-", d); printf "%s\t%s\t%s\n", p, "/dev/mapper/"v"-"n, d}' Would like to know if there is any shorter method to get this mapping of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Change Name of Bluetooth Device from Command Line in macOS

Mac Version 10.15.2 (macOS Catalina) Does anyone know how to change the name of a connected bluetooth device from the command line on macOS? I am having trouble with various bluetooth devices which I cannot get the "rename" option in the GUI to "save" properly and so I cannot rename a few... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies