Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Calculating Running Variance Using Awk Post 302665979 by Jahn on Tuesday 3rd of July 2012 01:11:51 PM
Old 07-03-2012
Calculating Running Variance Using Awk

Hi all,

I am attempting to calculate a running variance for a file containing a column of numbers. I am using the formula variance=sum((x-mean(x))^2)/(n-1), where x is the value on the current row, and mean(x) is the average of all of the values up until that row. n represents the total number of rows up until the current row.

For example, given a column of three numbers:

Code:

The variance should be:

Code:

Because when we get to row three, mean(x) = (100+100+(-50))/3 = 50, and the variance would therefore be:

Code:
variance= ((100-50)^2 + (100-50)^2 + (-50-50)^2)/(3-1) = (50^2 + 50^2 + 100^2) / 2 = 15000/2 = 7500

My question is, how do I do this with awk to generate a running total of the variance per line? I am using awk to perform several other mathematical operations on my data, so I would prefer to use it for this operation as well; however, if there is a more appropriate tool for doing this, I would like to hear about it.

Thanks,

-Jahn

Last edited by Scott; 07-03-2012 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculating variance in perl programming

#!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; open(FH,"$ARGV") or die; my @temp=<FH>; close FH; my $mean = Mean(\@temp); my $var = variance(\@temp); print "$var\n"; sub estimate_variance { my ($arrayref) = @_; my ($mean,$result) = (mean($arrayref),0); foreach (@$arrayref) {... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating totals in AWK

Hello, With the following small script I list the size of documents belonging to a certain user by each time selecting the bytes-field of that file ($7). Now it fills the array with every file it finds so in the end the output of some users contains up to 200.000 numbers. So how can I calculate... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hille
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk total and variance

File1 0358 Not Visible ***:* NA:NA RDF1+TDEV Grp'd (M) RW 102413 0359 Not Visible ***:* NA:NA RDF1+TDEV N/Grp'd (m) RW - 035A Not Visible ***:* NA:NA RDF1+TDEV N/Grp'd (m) RW - 035B Not Visible ***:* NA:NA ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: greycells
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating an integer with awk

I would like to extract a number from $0 and calculate if it can be devided by 25. Though the number can also be less then 25 or bigger than 100. How do i extract the number and how can the integer be calculated? String: "all_results">39</span>I am looking for the number between "all_results"> ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK way of calculating growth

Hi All, IS there any 'awk' way to manipulate following data? Fruit Date Count Apple 20/08/2011 5 Apple 27/08/2011 7 Apple 05/09/2011 11 Apple 12/09/2011 3 Apple 19/09/2011 25 . . . . Orange 20/08/2011 9 Orange 27/08/2011 20 Orange 27/08/2011 7 Orange 05/09/2011 15 Orange... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aniketdixit
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating the epoch time from standard time using awk and calculating the duration

Hi All, I have the following time stamp data in 2 columns Date TimeStamp(also with milliseconds) 05/23/2012 08:30:11.250 05/23/2012 08:30:15.500 05/23/2012 08:31.15.500 . . etc From this data I need the following output. 0.00( row1-row1 in seconds) 04.25( row2-row1 in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating average with awk

I need to find the average from a file like: data => BW:123 M:30 RTD:0 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0' data => BW:123 N:30 RTD:0 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0' data => BW:123 N:30 RTD:0 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0' data => BW:123 N:30 RTD:0 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0' data => BW:123 N:30 RTD:0 1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Slagle
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK sample variance

I would like to calculate 1/n In awk, I wrote the following line for the sigma summation: { summ+=($1-average)^2 } Full code: BEGIN { Print "This script calculate error estimates"; sum=0 } { sum+=$1; n++ } END { average = sum/n } BEGIN { summ=0 } { summ+=($1-average)^2 } END { print... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculating the running time

Hi All, I want to run a utility for all the process id that are running for more than 15 mins. I have captured process id's and the time that they were run in a file like below 1st column represnts the process ids and the 2nd one is the Time < 21014 01:00 21099 01:00 24361 01:03 24406... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_t_1601
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Calculating correlations across columns in awk

Hello, I came across a previous thread "awk-calculating-simple-correlation-rows" which calculated correlations across rows in awk. Code: awk '{ a = 0; for (i = 2; i <= NF; ++i) a += $i; a /= NF-1 b = 0; for (i = 2; i <= NF; ++i) b += ($i - a) ^ 2; b = sqrt(b) if... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ross
7 Replies
Statistics::OnLine(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Statistics::OnLine(3pm)

NAME
Statistics::OnLine - Pure Perl implementation of the on-line algorithm to produce statistics SYNOPSIS
use Statistics::OnLine; my $s = Statistics::OnLine->new; my @data = (1, 2, 3, 4, 5); $s->add_data( @data ); $s->add_data( 6, 7 ); $s->add_data( 8 ); print "count = ",$s->count," mean = ",$s->mean," variance = ",$s->variance," variance_n = ", $s->variance_n," skewness = ",$s->skewness," kurtosis = ",$s->kurtosis," "; $s->add_data( ); # does nothing! print "count = ",$s->count," mean = ",$s->mean," variance = ",$s->variance," variance_n = ", $s->variance_n," skewness = ",$s->skewness," kurtosis = ",$s->kurtosis," "; $s->add_data( 9, 10 ); print "count = ",$s->count," mean = ",$s->mean," variance = ",$s->variance," variance_n = ", $s->variance_n," skewness = ",$s->skewness," kurtosis = ",$s->kurtosis," "; DESCRIPTION
This module implements a tool to perform statistic operations on large datasets which, typically, could not fit the memory of the machine, e.g. a stream of data from the network. Once instantiated, an object of the class provide an "add_data" method to add data to the dataset. When the computation of some statistics is required, at some point of the stream, the appropriate method can be called. After the execution of the statistics it is possible to continue to add new data. In turn, the object will continue to update the existing data to provide new statistics. METHODS
new() Creates a new "Statistics::OnLine" object and returns it. add_data(@) Adds new data to the object and updates the internal state of the statistics. The method return the object itself in order to use it in chaining: my $v = $s->add_data( 1, 2, 3, 4 )->variance; clean() Cleans the internal state of the object and resets all the internal statistics. Return the object itself in order to use it in chaining: my $v = $s->clean->add_data( 1, 2, 3, 4 )->variance; count() Returns the actual number or elements inserted and processed by the object. mean() Returns the average of the elements inserted into the system: fract{ sum_1^n{x_i} }{ n } variance() Returns the variance of the element inserted into the system: fract{ sum_1^n{avg - x_i} }{ n - 1 } variance_n() Returns the variance of the element inserted into the system: fract{ sum_1^n{avg - x_i} }{ n } skewness() Returns the skewness (third standardized moment) of the element inserted into the system <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skewness> kurtosis() Returns the kurtosis (fourth standardized moment) of the element inserted into the system <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurtosis> ERROR MESSAGES
The conditions in which the system can return errors, using a "die" are: too few elements to compute function Some functions need a minimum number of elements to be computed: "mean", "variance_n" and "skewness" need at least one element, "variance" at least two and "kurtosis" needs at least four. variance is zero: cannot compute kurtosis|skewness Both kurtosis and skewness need that variance to be greater than zero. THEORY
On-line statistics are based on strong mathematical foundations which transform the standard computations into a sequence of operations that incrementally update with new values the actual ones. There are some referencence in the web. This documentation suggest to start your investigation from <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithms_for_calculating_variance#Higher-order_statistics>. The linked page provides other useful references on the foundations of the method. CAVEAT
The module is intended to be used in all the situations in which:(1) the number of data elements could be too large with respect the memory of the system, or(2) the elements arrive at different time stamps and intermediate results are needed. If the length of the stream is fixed, all the data elements are present in a single place and there is not need for intermediate results, it could be better to use different modules, for instance Statistics::Lite, to make computations. The reason for this choice is that the module uses a stable approximation, well suited for the use on steams (effectively an on-line algorithm). Using this system on fixed datasets could introduce some (little) approximation. HISTORY
0.02 Corrected typos in documentation 0.01 Initial version of the module AUTHOR
Francesco Nidito COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2009 Francesco Nidito. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Statistics::Lite, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithms_for_calculating_variance#Higher-order_statistics> perl v5.10.1 2009-09-04 Statistics::OnLine(3pm)