Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Really simple cross-platform database? Post 302665843 by alister on Tuesday 3rd of July 2012 08:52:38 AM
Old 07-03-2012
Perhaps SQLite would work for you. It's simple. It's crossplatform. And there's no need to learn a new language to build a frontend.

SQLite is implemented as an in-process library. There are bindings for all common languages, so you can almost certainly use your programming language of choice to work with it. Since it's a library of functions, there is no separate database process to connect to. The database itself is usually a local file, which you can fetch when needed or carry with you on a usb stick.

Your frontend could conceivably be as simple as using a sh script to wrap around the sqlite3 command line tool.

Or not. Smilie

Regards,
Alister

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cross platform Authentication

I am looking to have UNIX authenticate against Active Directory in a Windows Server 2003 environment, any suggestion? I am very new to UNIX, 2 weeks worth knowledge, if that. Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optik
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

please recommend books or articles on cross-platform portable code

I have know some items on cross-platform portable byte order alignment I don't know if there are books or articles on this topic. your recommendation is appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhongyj
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

configuring packages for cross-platform build

Hi all, I wish to build a few packages for my embedded target running linux over ARM9. It would be tough for me to compile my packages on target so I need to build on a host machine and then transfer the generated binaries. So I got the source-tarball for the packages I need. Now here are my two... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Ranjan
0 Replies

4. Debian

Making a python package and cross-platform compatible

Hi Ive been trying for days now and i just cannot work this out. Can someone please tell me if im doing this right. I've written some python3.3 code and now i want to transfer it to an embedded computer to execute. My OS is a : Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.7 (squeezez) 32-bit kernel ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedEyedDog
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Making a python package and cross-platform compatible

Hi Ive been trying for days now and i just cannot work this out. Can someone please tell me if im doing this right. I've written some python3.3 code and now i want to transfer it to an embedded computer to execute. My OS is a : Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.7 (squeezez) 32-bit kernel The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RedEyedDog
1 Replies
SQLITE3.OPEN(3) 														   SQLITE3.OPEN(3)

SQLite3::open - Opens an SQLite database

SYNOPSIS
public void SQLite3::open (string $filename, [int $flags = SQLITE3_OPEN_READWRITE | SQLITE3_OPEN_CREATE], [string $encryption_key]) DESCRIPTION
Opens an SQLite 3 Database. If the build includes encryption, then it will attempt to use the key. PARAMETERS
o $filename - Path to the SQLite database, or :memory: to use in-memory database. o $flags - Optional flags used to determine how to open the SQLite database. By default, open uses SQLITE3_OPEN_READWRITE | SQLITE3_OPEN_CREATE. o SQLITE3_OPEN_READONLY: Open the database for reading only. o SQLITE3_OPEN_READWRITE: Open the database for reading and writing. o SQLITE3_OPEN_CREATE: Create the database if it does not exist. o $encryption_key - An optional encryption key used when encrypting and decrypting an SQLite database. RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 SQLite3.open(3) example <?php /** * Simple example of extending the SQLite3 class and changing the __construct * parameters, then using the open method to initialize the DB. */ class MyDB extends SQLite3 { function __construct() { $this->open('mysqlitedb.db'); } } $db = new MyDB(); $db->exec('CREATE TABLE foo (bar STRING)'); $db->exec("INSERT INTO foo (bar) VALUES ('This is a test')"); $result = $db->query('SELECT bar FROM foo'); var_dump($result->fetchArray()); ?> PHP Documentation Group SQLITE3.OPEN(3)