Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Quick Question: Sorting
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Quick Question: Sorting Post 302665541 by lucshi09 on Monday 2nd of July 2012 09:31:55 PM
Old 07-02-2012
Quick Question: Sorting

Hi fellow linuxers

I have a quick question... I would like to sort the numbers in each line that are within a file, and I want to sort them so that the numbers in each line go from SMALLEST to HIGHEST. For example, my file looks like this:

Code:
6 4 2 3 1 5 7 8
15 16 11 13 12 14 20 18 19 17
24 26 25 21 22 23 
34 32 31 36 35 33 38 37

and I want it to look like this:
Code:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26
31 32 33 34 34 36 37 38

Any advice on how I can do this?? Thanks everyone!

lucshi09

Last edited by radoulov; 07-03-2012 at 04:57 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick Question

I know in DOS, when you want to pull up your last/previous command, you hit the up/down arrows. How do you do that with UNIX? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tracy Hunt
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick Question

Hello There! I am trying to write this SIMPLE script in Bourne Shell but I keep on getting syntax errors. Can you see what I am doing wrong? I've done this before but I don't see the difference. I am simply trying to take the day of the week from our system and when the teachers sign on I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: catbad
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Quick VI question

This "SHOULD" be a simple question, but looking through several books has turned up nothing, so I turn once again to the experts!! How do you vi a file so that you can see special characters. I believe my /etc/passwd file is being corrupted during an upgrade process, however the files... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Recon
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

quick question

does anyone know what $? means? i echoed it on my box (running AIX Korn shell) and got 127 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: penfold
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick Question

Hi, I am new to UNIX, and am learning from this tutorial : http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/index.html It keeps telling me to files downloaded from the internet (like .txt files) to the directory, and I dont know how to. How do I add .txt files to my directory? Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: IAMTHEEVILBEAN
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick question

Hi, Is there a simple way, using ksh, to find the byte position in a file that a stated character appears? Many thanks Helen (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick question

Hello all, Quick question from a fairly new to Unix developer. if then completedLogFile=$logfile.$(date +%Y%m%d-%H:%M:%S) mv $logfile $completedLogFile fi I understand that this portion of code is simply copying a tmp logfile to a completed logfile when a condition is true. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnnyBoy
2 Replies

8. AIX

quick question

Hi, At best I'm a junior admin with a big problem. My developers have got my root password and mgmt insists they need it. I can't even change it when people knowing it leave. I'm certain they've hardcoded it into routines. I've searched my servers and grepped everything & can't find it. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: keith.m
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

quick question

I am using sed to find a pattern in a line and then I want to retain the pattern + the rest of the line. How is this possible? ie: line is: 14158 05-15-08 20:00 123-1234-A21/deliverable/dhm.a search for 123-1234-A21 ie: echo $line | sed 's/.*\(\{3\}-\{4\}-\{3\}\{5\}\).*/\1/' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phreezr
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick question

Hi guys Quick question Im creating an FTP server and im chrooting each user to there home directory blah blah. Ive also setup scponly so there locked etc. Im a novice at unix and have just reaslised the primary group of scponly is the username of one of the ftp users... which im sure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)