Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Zip all the files including directories - subdirectories Post 302665413 by rudoraj on Monday 2nd of July 2012 12:45:12 PM
Old 07-02-2012
Zip all the files including directories - subdirectories

Hi,

Is is possible to zip a folder and all its contents within the folder ( including sub-directories and files) into a zip file? and can regain the same structure if unzipped?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to grep and rm including all subdirectories

Is there a way to grep a word pattern in all files under all subdirectories? Similar question with rm. To remove files with certain extension in all subdirectories? Thanks to all who reply! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annej33
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Remove Ctrl M characters in files from directories and its subdirectories

Hi, How to recursively remove Ctrl M characters in files from a directory and its sub directory ? I know unix2dos command is there but to remove in bunch of files ... ? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: skdp
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip a folder including its sub-folders.

Hi, I have a folder that contains a few sub-folders. I would like to zip that folder and KEEP the subfolders. What it does at the moment is taking all the files within the subfolders and zipping them into one big file (zip -r ...). Does anyone know the UNIX command to keep the subfolders in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gdog
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create zip without including directories

Hi guys, I'm trying to do the following: zip -r /tmp/foo.zip public/accounts/foo But the zip that's been made has the whole "public/accounts/foo" path. I want only the foo folder to be zipped. How can I do this? Thanks, Elías (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elioncho
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dircmp without including sub-directories

I have 2 directories I want to compare for like files. One directory has 2 subdirectories associated with it, the other directory does not. When I do the dircmp -s I should get only a few files different between the two directories. I do, but the directory with subdirectories prints out all these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MissI
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with untarring multiple files from tarred directories and subdirectories

Hi, I want to untar all log files from following tarred directory hierarchy Log_files.tar.gz/subject*.tar.gz/project*/*.log It means there are subject1.tar.gz to subject9.tar.gz and in those tarred subect directories there are project1 - project5 directories and in those directories there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rv_trojan
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

show all text files in directories and subdirectories

Hi! I am trying to find all text files in my home directory that contain the string "C-d" so I tyied this : cd ~ find . -type f -exec grep -l "C-d" {} + but it took very long so I tryed this : ls -aR | xargs file |grep text but it didn't descend in the directories and it said :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kelamahim
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find file and zip without including directory path

Does anyone know of a way to zip the resulting file from a find command? My approach below finds the file and zips the entire directory path, which is not what I need. After scanning the web, it seems to be much easier to perform gzip, but unfortunately the approach must use zip. find `$DIR`... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: koeji
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unzip all the files with subdirectories present and append a part of string from the main .zip files

Hi frnds, My requirement is I have a zip file with name say eg: test_ABC_UH_ccde2a_awdeaea_20150422.zip within that there are subdirectories on each directory we again have .zip files and in that we have files like mama20150422.gz and so on. Iam in need of a bash script so that it unzips... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string to all the files inside a directory excluding subdirectories and .zip files

Hii, Could someone help me to append string to the starting of all the filenames inside a directory but it should exclude .zip files and subdirectories. Eg. file1: test1.log file2: test2.log file3 test.zip After running the script file1: string_test1.log file2: string_test2.log file3:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
4 Replies
rmf(1mh)																  rmf(1mh)

Name
       rmf - remove folder

Syntax
       rmf [ +folder ] [ -help ] [ -[no]interactive ]

Description
       The  command  removes all of the messages within the current folder, and then removes the folder itself.  If there are any files within the
       folder which are not part of MH, they are not removed, and an error message is displayed.

You can specify a folder other than the current folder by using the +folder argument.  If you do not specify a folder, and cannot find  the
       current folder, asks you whether you want to delete instead.

If the current folder is removed, it makes current.

Note that the command irreversibly deletes messages that do not have other links, so use it with caution.

If  the folder being removed is a sub-folder, the parent folder becomes the new current folder, and tells you that this has happened.  This
       provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list  and  returning  to  the  current
       folder from which the list was extracted.

Using to delete a read-only folder deletes the private sequence and current message information from the file, without affecting the folder
       itself.	If you have sub-folders within a folder, you must delete all the sub-folders before you can delete the folder itself.

Options
       -help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-interactive
       -nointeractive
		 Asks for confirmation before deleting a folder.  By default, deletes a folder and its messages without asking	for  confirmation.
		 If  you  specify  the	-interactive option, asks if you are sure before deleting the folder.  You are advised to use this option,
		 since when deletes a folder its contents are lost irretrievably.

Examples
       This example shows how asks for confirmation when the -interactive option is used:
       % rmf -interactive +test
       Remove folder "test"? y

Profile Components
       Path:   To determine the user's Mail directory

Files
       The user profile.

See Also
       rmm(1mh)

rmf(1mh)