Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with freetds
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Help with freetds Post 302665253 by r4v3n on Monday 2nd of July 2012 08:26:05 AM
Old 07-02-2012
Help with freetds

Hi all,

I have an MS-Sql 2008 server. I need to perform a bulk insert of data (over 1 million records every hour) from an Ubuntu box. Doing this in python using pymssql takes about 30 seconds for every 100,000 records.

I've installed the freetds suite on this ubuntu box. While tsql and isql are able to connect and execute queries successfully, only freebcp keeps throwing a "Msg 2410, Level 2" "Cannot bcp with TDSVER < 5.0" error.

The same bcp tool (Microsoft's version) on a Windows XP virtual box on the same Ubuntu box, can insert to the SQL server without any problem the entire 1million records in just 30 seconds.

I've checked and re-checked every configuration for freetds. It's puzzling why tsql and isql work, but freebcp doesn't.

Any help/pointers on getting freebcp to work or how to get such large data inserted quickly is greatly appreciated.

osql(1) 							 FreeTDS Utilities							   osql(1)

NAME
osql - utility to test FreeTDS connections and queries SYNOPSIS
osql -S dsn -U username -P password [-I ini_dir] DESCRIPTION
osql is a diagnostic tool provided as part of FreeTDS. It is a Bourne shell script that checks and reports on your configuration files. If everything checks out OK, it invokes isql. osql works only with the isql that comes with unixODBC. OPTIONS
-S dsn the Data Source Name to which to connect, as known to odbc.ini. -U username database login name. -P password database password. -I ini_dir override odbc.ini file location. EXAMPLE
If you have an odbc.ini with a section like this: [myDSN] servername = myserver TDS_Version = 5.0 You would invoke osql as: osql -S myDSN [...] NOTES
If you can connect with "osql -S servername -U user -P passwd", your FreeTDS ODBC installation is working. osql guesses where unixODBC might look for its odbc.ini by examining the binary. This is not always an effective approach. If it doesn't work, you'll receive a report of candidate strings. Kindly pass along the output to help improve the guessing. If osql cannot intuit your odbc.ini directory, you can force the issue with the -I option. However, you're instructing osql what to test, not where unixODBC will eventually look. Your override is therefore only as good as you are. Look carefully at the error output before overriding. If you have suggestions for ways to make osql more useful as a diagnostic tool, please post them to the FreeTDS mailing list. HISTORY
osql first appeared in FreeTDS 0.65. AUTHORS
The osql utility was written by James K. Lowden doc 13 November 2011 osql(1)