Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ksh Searching for a string within a file and keeping a count= get the following Sample01=: command Post 302665105 by k00061804 on Monday 2nd of July 2012 03:52:47 AM
Old 07-02-2012
Ksh Searching for a string within a file and keeping a count= get the following Sample01=: command

I have a script that goes through a 24 hr logfile, And i want to count the instances of a Test01 to 83 and output the sum of all the instances over 24hrs

Code:
 #/bin/ksh

cat $parse_data | awk '/'$time$i'/ {for(x=0; x<=16; x++) {getline; print}print "--" }' > _hr.txt

for y in 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 81 82 83 84 85
                do

tot_alarms=`cat _hr.txt | grep -c "Network=Test$y"`

Sample$y= `expr $Sample$y + $tot_alarms `
                echo " The no of alarms for this is $Sample$y"

done

done

The output is as follows:

Code:
./Test.sh: line 37: Sample01=: command not found
 The no of alarms for this is 01

What is the issue with using the following in the code:

Code:
Sample$y= `expr $Sample$y + $tot_alarms `

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 07-02-2012 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching for a string though file system

Is there a way to search an entire file system for the occurance of a string..... other than grep. I have a large directory structure and I'm not certain that grep <string> */*/*/*... is all that effective - especially as I can't be sure of the number of levels to go down without heaps of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a string from one file and searching the same string in other files

Hi, Need to extract a string from one file and search the same in other files. Ex: I have file1 of hundred lines with no delimiters not even space. I have 3 more files. I should get 1 to 10 characters say substring from each line of file1 and search that string in rest of the files and get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohancrr
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching for a string in a file

I need to search for a specific string in a file and if this string exist I need to replace it with something else. I am not sure how I could do this, using an if statement. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROOZ
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a string in a file

Hi, I am new to unix shell scripting. I have a requirement. Could anyone help me writing the script for the same? Here goes the requirement: I have a config file let's say temp.config. Here is the data in the config file temp.config : ------------- name=victor age=42 state=texas... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mail cleanup from ksh script, keeping 50 most recent msgs

I found some posts describing how to completely clean out a mailbox in Unix/Linux. But I want to keep the 50 most recent messages. Any ideas out there? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: OPTIMUS_prime
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching each file for a string

Hi Guys... I want to search for each file that contains a particular string. e.g find . -print | xargs grep -i string_name Now my issue is the files that I search in are gzipped. Will I be able to find the string, using the above commands, even if the files are gzipped? Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a specific string in a file

Hi I am trying to search for a certain set of patterns within a file, and then perform other commands based on output. testfile contents: password requisite pam_cracklib.so lcredit=-1 ucredit=-1 ocredit=-1 script: D="dcredit=-1" if then echo $D exists else echo $D doesnt... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bludhemn
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: Split String into smaller substrings based on count

KSH HP-SOL-Lin Cannot use xAWK I have several strings that are quite long and i want to break them down into smaller substrings. What I have String = "word1 word2 word3 word4 .....wordx" What I want String1="word1 word2" String2="word 3 word4" String3="word4 word5" Stringx="wordx... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a string in a particular file name

Hello, I have a file name like FIRST_DPF_DAILY_CUST_0826152322.txt i need to extract the string after the third "_" underscore upto timestamp ends i.e CUST_0826152322 can anyone help me with the code Thank you! Regards Srikanth Sagi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_sagi
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Searching for file types by count in specific folder in RHEL 6

So I'm trying to search for the top 10 or 15 items under a directory by file type. I want to run a command on a directory and get something like the following: Example of expected output.. .PDF: 100, .txt: 95, .word: 80.. What would be the best way of going about this? I've searched around... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shackle101
2 Replies
passenger-status(8)					      Adminstration Commands					       passenger-status(8)

NAME
passenger-status - inspect Phusion Passenger's internal status SYNOPSIS
passenger-status [pid] DESCRIPTION
passenger-status looks at the current status of a Phusion Passenger installation. It will locate Phusion Passenger automatically if it is running and will give you a list of instances if there is more than one Phusion Passenger instance running. You can then select the instance by specifying the relevant PID on the command line. The general information section shows the following details: max The maximum number of application instances that Phusion Passenger will spawn. This equals the value given for PassengerMaxPoolSize in the configuration. count The number of application instances that are currently alive. This value is always less than or equal to max. active The number of application instances that are currently processing requests. This value is always less than or equal to count. inactive The number of application instances that are currently not processing requests, i.e. are idle. Idle application instances will be shutdown after a while, as can be specified with PassengerPoolIdleTime in the configuration. The value of inactive equals count - active. The applications section shows each application instance, which directory it belongs to. The sessions field shows how many HTTP client are currently being processed by that application instance. OPTIONS
pid The process ID of the Phusion Passenger instance you want to look at SEE ALSO
passenger-memory-stats(8), ps(1), top(1) User guide at http://www.modrails.com/documentation.html AUTHOR
Phusion Passenger is written by Phusion (http://www.phusion.nl) "Phusion" and "Phusion Passenger" are trademarks of Hongli Lai & Ninh Bui. This manual page was written by Neil Wilson <neil@brightbox.co.uk> for the Ubuntu project (but may be used by others). Phusion Passenger 2.0 passenger-status(8)