Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Leap second happening
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Leap second happening Post 302664889 by methyl on Sunday 1st of July 2012 09:36:14 AM
Old 07-01-2012
My old HP-UX 11.11 server survived.

From /usr/adm/syslog/syslog.log:
Code:
Jul  1 01:00:01 unidev xntpd[1601]: leap second occurred, stepped time back 1 second

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Ping is happening, telnet is not happening

HI all, Ping is happening to a AIX box...but telnet is not happening... AIX box doesn't have any conslole... Please help how to resolve it. Thanks in advance .. Manu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: b_manu78
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insertion of Leap Second

Hi All, We are running the HP-UX 11.11 and Linux AS 3.0. so, shall we need to make any changes for leap second i.e. insert the leap second on 1st Jan 2006 or does the system have some setup which would take care of this automatically. Please advise. Regards, Inder (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: isingh786
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

Leap Second

Hi All, We are running the HP-UX 11.11 and Linux AS 3.0. so, shall we need to make any changes for leap second i.e. insert the leap second on 1st Jan 2006 or does the system have some setup which would take care of this automatically. Please advise. Regards, Inder (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: isingh786
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

leap seconds and the stdc library

I understand the NTP protocol, so keeping system time updated is not a problem. Standard C library routines like localtime() take a number of UTC seconds elapsed since the start of the epoch (Jan 1, 1970). These times in seconds can be a filetime, system time, or some other time in the past or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jim mcnamara
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Leap year K-shell script

I need a k-shell script that tests for leap-year. Does anyone have one at hand, need ASAP!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: p1jls02
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Number of leap seconds

Is there a function call in std library or unit command that returns the number of current leap seconds? GG (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NAVTime
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix korn shell leap years problem

Write a function called dateToDays that takes three parameters -a month string such as Sep, a day number such as 18, and a year number such as 1962-and return s the number of days from January 1, 1900, to the date. Notes: I am asking you to account for leap years. my script is not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: babuda0059
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Leap second for year 2015

I hear the Leap second for 2015 will occur on June 30 at 23:59:60 according to the wild rumours from internet the expected impact ranges from crashing to hanging servers. Can anybody share their preparations what they have done for solaris servers? are there any patches to install or workaround?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
1 Replies
fasthalt(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       fasthalt(8)

NAME
fasthalt - Halts the system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/fasthalt [-lnq] DESCRIPTION
The fasthalt command halts the system and flags a subsequent reboot to skip the execution of fsck. The program creates the fastboot file, then invokes the halt program. The system start-up script contains instructions to look for the fastboot file. If present, the script removes the file and skips the invocation of the fsck command. If the command is invoked without the -l, -n, or -q flag, the halt program logs the shutdown using the syslogd command and places a record of the shutdown in the login accounting file, /var/adm/wtmp. Using the -q and the -n flags imply the -l flag. You must have root privileges to use this command. FLAGS
Does not log the halt using syslog. Prevents the sync before stopping, and does not log the halt using syslog. Causes a quick halt, does not log the halt using syslog, and makes no attempt to kill all processes. FILES
Specifies the command path Specifies the path of the syslog daemon RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: fsck(8), halt(8), syslogd(8) Functions: sync(2), syslog(3) delim off fasthalt(8)