Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Sendmail saying "user unknown" after setting up MX Post 302664731 by Rohit Bhanot on Saturday 30th of June 2012 10:54:34 AM
Old 06-30-2012
Sendmail saying "user unknown" after setting up MX

Hi Friends,

I set up the sendmail in my perosnal home lab. I am using mutt to send the email in between the machines. Everything is working fine if i send email like <username>@<hostname>. Now i set up the MX record for my domain "home.com" and then i was trying to send the email to like root@home.com, but in this case as soon as i press "Y" to send the email in mutt; i get this error
Code:
Error sending message, child exited 67 (User unknown.)

Even in the sendmail logs it shows user known. I know that my sendmail was not configured to accept message from the domain home.com, so i added the home.com to /etc/mail/local-host-names file but still this error remains. It is weird and i assume i should get a delivery failure with something saying like "relaying rejected"

So can anyone please help me figuring out what is going on here ?>

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unknown error message "sh: No: not found"

I am getting this error message (sh: No: not found) and I have no idea what line in my unix script its coming from or what it means. Can anyone help? thanks, Cindy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cindytucci
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

communicating wth another user aside from "wall" and "write"

Hi, Can anyone suggest a Unix command or c-shell algorithm to simulate to behavior of "wall" command minus the "all users"? What I'm trying to do is to send a notice to just one particular user but i dont want other remotely-logged-on users to receive the message (on the pseudo-terminals). I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
6 Replies

3. Solaris

sendmail "root... User address required." error

I'm running sendmail (8.13.8+Sun/8.13.8/Submit) solaris 10. When I send mail to root at the command line (whether I use a full-qualified address or just root), I get the error message root... User address required. Sending mail to root (either at the command line or in a cron job),... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail: how to restrict delivery based on "to" or "from"?

Hello, I manage a large sendmail server that handles more than 20,000 pieces of mail per day. It's a bit unusual in that all this mail is only being sent to and from 4 local accounts. (It's an automated transaction processing system, whereby users submit a transaction via email attachment). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Unknown Disks "offline or reservation conflict"

Hi All, I am a RH Linux admin that recently started working at a company with a number of SUN Servers so it's been an interesting transition. Considering the last person left with very little documentation left behind so I have been picking up most issues half complete, or troubleshot. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MobileGSP
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the significance of sh -s in ssh -qtt ${user}@${host} "sh -s "${version}"" < test.sh?

Please can you help me understand the significance of providing arguments under sh -s in > ssh -qtt ${user}@${host} "sh -s "${version}"" < test.sh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
GPGMAILTUNL(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   GPGMAILTUNL(1p)

NAME
gpgmailtunl - Encrypts an email message into the body of another email. SYNOPSIS
gpgmailtunl [options] --encrypt | --decrypt DESCRIPTION
gpgmailtunl is a filter program that either encrypts an email message using the Gnu Privacy Guard and sends it to another recipient or decrypt an email message and forwards unencrypted to another destination. It can be used to exchange emails across an open network betweeen two trusted systems. TYPICAL USAGE
This program is intended to run from program like procmail or sendmail to create an email tunnel between two systems. Of course this is not as secure as using gpg as an end user program, it may be convenient in certain case. ENCRYPTION
To encapsulates an email within another you pipe the message to gpgmailtunl. OPTIONS GetOptions( \%opt, "encrypt", "decrypt", "sign", "secret-file=s", "from=s", "to=s", "subject=s", "homedir=s", "local-user=s", "recipient=s", ) or usage; to This is the address to which the encrypted message will be sent. This is the only required fields. recipient This sets the keyid that will be used to encrypt the outgoing message. If unset, gpgmailtunl will try to find a key matching the to option. subject Sets the subject of the outgoing message. This defaults to "Encrypted mail". from Sets the From header line of the outgoing message which will contains the encrypted one. sendmail will provides a default one if this is not set. sign If this option is used, the outgoing message will be signed. In this case you should probably use to local-user and secret-file options. secret-file File from which the secret to unlock the private used to sign the message can be read. local-user The keyid of the user that should sign the outgoing message. The default user will be used if not specified. homedir Sets an alternate gpg home directory. (This is where the keyrings are stored.) DECRYPTION
To extract an email to be forwarded to the final user you pipe the encrypted email to gpgmailtunl using the decrypt switch. Once decrypted, the encapsulated email message will be sent to the original destinator of the message. OPTIONS homedir Sets an alternate gpg home directory. (This is where the keyrings are stored.) secret-file File from which the secret to unlock the private used to decrypt the message can be read. AUTHOR
Francis J. Lacoste <francis.lacoste@iNsu.COM> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1999, 2000 iNsu Innovations Inc. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. SEE ALSO
gpg(1) gpgmailtunl(1) GnuPG(3) perl v5.14.2 2011-11-22 GPGMAILTUNL(1p)