Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Loop and variable not exactly variable: what's wrong Post 302664677 by bobylapointe on Saturday 30th of June 2012 07:18:59 AM
Old 06-30-2012
In the stupid mind of mine, I thought that using $IP should execute `shuf -n 1 IP.txt` each time $IP is used...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

What wrong with the variable definition

i am using the below script and trying to move files in that directory in that pattern to archive. But it doesn;t seem to take the metacharacters. Please sugggest. Code Debug output: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable inside variable inside loop headache

Hi Gurus I have a file called /tmp/CMDB which looks like this serial: 0623AN1208 hostname: server1 model: x4100 assetID: 1234 I am writing a for loop that will go through this file line by line creating a variable of itself. Using the first iteration of the loop (i.e. the first line) as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with variable using loop

Hi I have webserver that I do read data from. Data are stored like this: Huston |1 Portland |2 Hazen |1 Minneapolis |4 Albany |1 Pittsburg |1 Albany |1 Huston |1 Portland|1 Hazen |2 Albany |2 Huston |1 Hazen |1 Script #!/bin/sh user="admin" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jotne
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SHELL: /bin/sh] For loop using variable variable names

Simple enough problem I think, I just can't seem to get it right. The below doesn't work as intended, it's just a function defined in a much larger script: CheckValues() { for field in \ Group_ID \ Group_Title \ Rule_ID \ Rule_Severity \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing variable with variable suffix through loop

I have a group of variables myLINEcnt1 - myLINEcnt10. I'm trying to printout the values using a for loop. I am at the head banging stage since i'm sure it has to be a basic syntax issue that i can't figure out. For myIPgrp in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10; do here i want to output the value of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's wrong after assign it to a variable ?

root@intel_5500_server:/tmp# ID_GUEST="01:00.0" root@intel_5500_server:/tmp# echo $ID_GUEST|sed 's%:%\\:%g' 01\:00.0 root@intel_5500_server:/tmp# ID_GUEST_P=`echo $ID_GUEST|sed 's%:%\\:%g'` root@intel_5500_server:/tmp# echo $ID_GUEST_P 01:00.0 root@intel_5500_server:/tmp# if I assign... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing the value of a single query to a Variable - What am i doing wrong?

I tried the below : #!/bin/ksh testvar=$( sqlplus $user/$pass << EOF set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off; whenever sqlerror exit 1 SELECT 1+1 FROM DUAl; COMMIT; EXIT; EOF) echo "testvar="$testvar The output that I am getting is : > sh example.sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
3 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)