Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat yum is not installed on all servers. Why? Post 302664515 by Perderabo on Friday 29th of June 2012 05:04:17 PM
Old 06-29-2012
We do not install yum on servers. We have a tested and approved build. We want that build and only that build installed on our servers. And we want all servers to have the same build. There is no repository available to our servers and without a repository yum is mostly useless. We do install rpm (the program). And once in a while we are forced to install a new rpm on all of the servers.

We have a RedHat 5 Server build, a RedHat 6 Server Build, and so on. We have just finished upgrading everything to RedHat 6. Once RedHat 7 hits the streets, we will test it and develop a standard build for RedHat 7. And then we will go around and update all of our servers again.

Some of these systems are on isolated networks. Some are in scif's. Most are behind firewall on our general internal network. 6 are on the Internet as DNS and NTP servers.

I agree with the general philosophy of this. I would install yum anyway. I do fight for more of the OS to be installed with each update. We have no telnet client installed! I don't like telnet, but the client is useful for troubleshooting. This is my current fight. However yum is pretty far down on the list.

Why are you guys so freaked out over the loss of yum?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find how many CPU installed in the servers

We are using HP unix how to find out how many number of CPU's in the system. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: salaathi
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Centos commands: Yum Upgrade versus Yum update

Hi, I would like to know the difference between YUM UPDATE and YUM UPGRADE. The man pages say upgrade is same as update with the obsolete option. And by default it says the obsolete option is turned on, which would make them equivalent. Does not say what obsolete does. Can someone please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check if SQLLDR has been installed on Unix/Aix servers

How can i check if sqlldr has been installed on my AIX/UNIX mechine? Is there any unix script to check this one out.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: msrahman
0 Replies

4. AIX

OS Patches installed but they seem as not installed

Hello everyone: I've installed an OS patch into AIX 6.1 by running the following command: instfix -d /tmp/6100-02-03 -k "IZ41855" however it seem not installed instfix -i -k "IZ41855" There was no data for IZ41855 in the fix database. what am I doing wrong? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: edgarvm
8 Replies

5. Red Hat

Trouble with installed / not installed rpm unixODBC/libodbc.so.1

Hey there, i run 1: on my server (RHEL 6) and getting response that the libodbc is not installed. If i use yum for installation, it tells me, there is no package like this ( 2: ). Since in the description of Definiens is mentioned that the Run-time dependency is unixODBC (libodbc.so.1), I assume... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkirsten
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

help with YUM

Hi All, Just installed new Redhat server. I am trying to do rhn_register. I get this error message. Fatal error: The SSL certificate failed verification. Any one ran into this error. Please let me know. I do have internet connection- ping www.google.com PING... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samnyc
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Find List of MQ and Websphere certificates that are installed on Linux and UNIX servers?

Dear All, I am planning to find the list of certificates(WEBshpere/MQ) on a servers. My certificates are either stored in (.jks) / (.pem)/ (.cer) . But some of the certificates are stored without these file formats. I tried using find command but unless I give the file name its difficult for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidh_arth85
4 Replies

8. Linux

Need help on YUM

HI, First I'll use yum check-update to check any updates. Q1: How can I know that how much space needed to update all packages listed by yum check-update command? Q2: How can I list kernel related packages? TIA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Installation of virt-manager while yum update and yum install rhvm does not work

I have downloaded RHEV-H 4.2 Red Hat Virtualization - Red Hat Customer Portal (RHVirtualization 4.2 Host and Manager iso). I uploaded the image and installed on an HP G9 server baremetal. I found I dont have a WAN/net connectivity later on HPG9 server. How can I still install virt-manager on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash find version of an installed application but if none is found set variable to App Not Installed

Hello Forum, I'm issuing a one line bash command to look for the version of an installed application and saving the result to a variable like so: APP=application --version But if the application is not installed I want to return to my variable that the Application is not installed. So I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
2 Replies
yum-list-data(1)														  yum-list-data(1)

NAME
yum list data plugin SYNOPSIS
yum [options] [command] [package ...] DESCRIPTION
This plugin extends yum for some commands that give aggregate package data based on lists of packages added yum commands are: * list-vendors * info-vendors * list-rpm-groups * info-rpm-groups * list-packagers * info-packagers * list-licenses * info-licenses * list-arches * info-arches * list-committers * info-committers * list-buildhosts * info-buildhosts * list-baseurls * info-baseurls * list-package-sizes * info-package-sizes * list-archive-sizes * info-archive-sizes * list-installed-sizes * info-installed-sizes * list-groups * info-groups all of which take the same arguments as the list and info yum commands. The difference between the list and info varieties is that the info versions lists all the packages under each aggregation. list-vendors, info-vendors Is used to list the aggregate of the vendor attribute on the packages, examples are "Fedora Project" and "Red Hat, Inc.". list-rpm-groups, info-rpm-groups Is used to list the aggregate of the group attribute on the packages, examples are "Applications/System", "Development/Tools" and "System Environment/Base" list-packagers, info-packagers Is used to list the aggregate of the packager attribute on the packages, examples are "Fedora Project" and "Red Hat, Inc.". list-licenses, info-licenses Is used to list the aggregate of the license attribute on the packages, examples are "GPL" and "MIT" list-arches, info-arches Is used to list the aggregate of the arch attribute on the packages, examples are "i386" and "x86_64" list-committers, info-committers Is used to list the aggregate of the committer attribute on the packages, this is taken from the most recent changelog entry of the package. list-buildhosts, info-buildhosts Is used to list the aggregate of the buildhost attribute on the packages, examples are "mybuilder.example.com" and "xen- builder1.fedora.redhat.com" list-baseurls, info-baseurls Is used to list the aggregate of the url attribute on the packages after discarding the path of the URL, examples are "http://yum.baseurl.org/" and "http://www.and.org/" list-package-sizes, info-package-sizes Is used to list the aggregate of specified ranges the packagesize attribute on the packages, examples are "[ 1B - 10KB ]" and "[ 750KB - 1MB ]". list-archive-sizes, info-archive-sizes Is used to list the aggregate of specified ranges the archivesize attribute on the packages, examples are "[ 1B - 10KB ]" and "[ 750KB - 1MB ]". list-installed-sizes, info-installed-sizes Is used to list the aggregate of specified ranges the installedsize attribute on the packages, examples are "[ 1B - 10KB ]" and "[ 750KB - 1MB ]". list-groups, info-groups Is used to list the aggregate of the yum groups that the packages are in, examples are in "yum grouplist". Note that in yum groups a package can be in more than one group at a time. It is worth noting that some of the above data can be "unknown", to yum, at which point a separate aggregation called "-- Unknown --" is listed. EXAMPLES
To list all the groups that have an update, along with the number of packages in each group, use: yum list-rpm-groups updates To list all the committers to packages that have yum in their name, use: yum list-committers 'yum*' To list ranges of the sizes of packages installed or available, use: yum list-package-sizes To list yum groups that have an update, use: yum list-groups SEE ALSO
yum-filter-data (1) yum (8) yum.conf (5) AUTHORS
James Antill <james.antill@redhat.com>. James Antill 04 February 2008 yum-list-data(1)