Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Awk FNR==NR question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk FNR==NR question Post 302663493 by Jazmania on Thursday 28th of June 2012 07:40:39 AM
Old 06-28-2012
Apologies for the double post here...

Is there a way though to anchor whats being replaced.. For example I'm replacing an alias called IBM with what it matches in the $cmdfile but its also replacing anything in the file with that contains IBM as part of its string..

Code:
awk -F'[ =]' 'FNR==NR {a[$1]=$2; next} $4 in a{$4=a[$4]} 1' $cmdalias ${entries} >> ${entries}_2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: different between NR and FNR

As I know: FNR: The ordinal number of the current record in the current file. NR: The ordinal number of the current record from the start of input. I don't understand really differency between NR and FNR. Who can explain it for me? And give me an example. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anhtt
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk NR==FNR compare 2 files produce a 3rd

hi, i have two files, both with 3 columns, the 3rd column has common values between the two files and i want to produce a 3rd file with 4 columns. file 1 a, ,b c file 2 a, b ,d I want to compare the 3rd value and if a match print to file 3 with the 3 columns from the first file... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

error "awk: (FILENAME=- FNR=23) fatal: division by zero attempted"

Hi , I have file : after i run this command : there are error can we print blank line if output error ?? thanks.. ^^ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: justbow
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple Column print after lookup using NR==FNR (awk)

foo.txt FAMID IID AFF SEX Group AgeCat Dis1 Dis2 Dis3 Dis4 Dis5 Dis6 Dis6 AMD0001 Mayo_49542 1 2 AMD 8 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 AMD0002 Mayo_49606 1 1 AMD 3 1 1 1 1 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk NR==FNR output control

Hi Guys, I have two files: f1: A B C D E F G H f2: A X Y Z f1 has 48000 lines, and f2 has 68. I have been matching f1 $3 to f2 $1, and getting f3: A A B C D E F G I would like f3 too look like this: A X Y Z A B C D E F G (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heecha
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use NA and FNR?

Hi i have file1: conn=232257 client=16218.19488.218.86:51237 protocol=LDAP file2: conn=232257 dn="uid=apple,ou=xxxx,ou=usfgfhfers,dc=example,dc=com" conn=232370 dn="uid=ball,ou=yyyyyy,ou=usfhfhfhers,dc=example,dc=com" In the output file it should match first column from above both files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: buzzme
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tip: alternative for NR==FNR in awk

Example: $ cat file1 2 3$ cat file2 1 2 3 4 5 6The following awk script works like a charm, NR==FNR is true for file1, the remainder runs for file2: awk ' NR==FNR {A; next} ($1 in A) ' file1 file2 2 3Now have an empty file1: >file1and run the awk script again. The result is empty... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MadeInGermany
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk --> selective printout with FNR

Hi everybody! need some awk-support. i want a line-selective printout of a file. wat i normally will do with ... awk ' FNR==8' sample.txt But now i need the data from line 8, 10 and the following data from line13 to 250 wich is not end of the file. I tried allready to combine it but without... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explanation of FNR in this awk script

To merge mutiple *.tab files as: file1.tab rs1 A A rs2 A A rs3 C C rs4 C Cfile2.ind rs1 T T rs2 T T rs3 G G rs4 G Gand file3.tab rs1 B B rs2 B B rs3 L L rs4 L LOutput: file1.tab file2.tab file3.tab AA TT BB AA TT BB CC GG LL CC GG ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Assigning a variable to be the value of FNR at a certain line

Sorry for the probably strangely worded title but I don't really know how else to put it. Background context: Post processing LAMMPS simulation data. tl;dr: I'm making two spheres collide, every defined timestep the simulation outputs a bunch of data including total energy of the particles,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ThomasP
10 Replies
VOS_APROPOS(1)						       AFS Command Reference						    VOS_APROPOS(1)

NAME
vos_apropos - Displays each help entry containing a keyword string SYNOPSIS
vos apropos -topic <help string> [-help] vos ap -t <help string> [-h] DESCRIPTION
The vos apropos command displays the first line of the online help entry for any vos command that has in its name or short description the string specified by the -topic argument. To display the syntax for a command, use the vos help command. OPTIONS
-topic <help string> Specifies the keyword string to match. Use lowercase letters only, except for the acronym "VLDB". If the string is more than a single word, surround it with double quotes ("") or other delimiters. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The first line of a command's online help entry names it and briefly describes its function. This command displays the first line for any vos command where the string specified with the -topic argument is part of the command name or first line. EXAMPLES
The following command displays all vos commands that include the word lock in their names or short descriptions: % vos apropos lock lock: lock VLDB entry for a volume unlock: release lock on VLDB entry for a volume unlockvldb: unlock all the locked entries in the VLDB PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
vos(1), vos_help(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 VOS_APROPOS(1)