Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Function returns a value but cannot be stored in other variable Post 302663173 by gary_w on Wednesday 27th of June 2012 04:21:38 PM
Old 06-27-2012
This is a duplicate post of: https://www.unix.com/shell-programmin...ction-use.html

I guess you didn't like the answers there? At any rate, you still haven't said what system/shell you are using. Your code worked for me on ksh on Solaris but I think theres a more effecienct way to accomplish this. What is "grep ." supposed to do (I guess remove blank lines)?:
Code:
$ cat x
#!/bin/ksh

PREVIOUS_DATE_FUNCTION()
{

date '+%m %d %Y' |
{
read MONTH DAY YEAR
DAY=`expr "$DAY" - 1`
case "$DAY" in
0)
MONTH=`expr "$MONTH" - 1`
case "$MONTH" in
0)
MONTH=12
YEAR=`expr "$YEAR" - 1`
;;
esac
DAY=`cal $MONTH $YEAR | grep . | fmt -1 | tail -1`
esac
PREVIOUS_TEMP_DATE=$YEAR-$MONTH-$DAY
echo $PREVIOUS_TEMP_DATE
}

}

PREVIOUSDATE="`PREVIOUS_DATE_FUNCTION`"

tempfile=FILENAME_$PREVIOUSDATE

echo $PREVIOUSDATE
echo $tempfile
$ x
2012-06-26
FILENAME_2012-06-26
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

function returns string

Can I create a function to return non-interger value in shell script? for example, function getcommand () { echo "read command" read command echo $command } command=$(getcommand) I tried to do something as above. The statement echo "read command" does not show up. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalelle
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use a stored string in function call

Hi All I have written code for storing data in a string based on pattern. whenever i tried to use in a function call its not getting there. Actually the same logic was applied for another string..then i can use the string at any function. the code goes like this /mp metadata/{... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhaviece
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function returns wrong values - solved

Hi I have a small function which returns a wrong value. The function tries to make a connection to oracle database and tries to get the open_mode of the database in the variable status. However when a database is down the value of the status column is set to READWRITE i am not sure why. I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dlsym() returns 0 for an existing function

Sometimes I observe this in gdb: (gdb) br my_function Breakpoint .. at 0x...: file ..., line ... i.e., "my_function" does exist in the current executable. however, dlsym does not find it: (gdb) p dlsym(0,"my_function") $6 = 0 This is a C program; dlsym does find other defined functions and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sds
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep returns many values into a variable error

I get an error when I grep my results into a variable when the grep finds more than one file. FND="$(find ediout* -mmin -60)" if ; then STR="$(find ediout* -mmin -60 -exec grep -l "ERRORS Encountered" {} +)" fi When there is only one ediout file it works fine. How do I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aispg8
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not found error for a variable which is returned from stored procedure

can anyone please help me with this: i have written a shell script and a stored procedure which has one OUT parameter. now i want to use that out parameter as an input to the unix script but i am getting an error as variable not found. below are the unix scripts and stored procedure... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swap21783
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sqlplus returns leading carriage return into a variable

I am trying to generate some scripts to help manage an Oracle database. When I check the value returned from Oracle it has a leading carriage return in the variable. Is there a way to prevent this? Is there a way to easily strip out the carriage return. See code and output below. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Panzer993
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in function returns value

Hi, I need to return a value from the function. the value will be the output from cat command which uses random fucntion. #!/bin/ksh hello() { var1=$(`cat /dev/urandom| tr -dc 'a-zA-Z0-9-!%&()*+,-/:;<=>?_'|fold -w 10 | head -n 1`) echo "value is" var1 return var1 } hello var=$?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function Returns

I'm having a little trouble returning a value from a function or calling it, I'm not quite sure. I'm calling the function here function region_lookup_with_details { results = $(set_region) echo $results } This is the function I'm calling function set_region { ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akechnie
8 Replies
Bio::TreeIO::svggraph(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				Bio::TreeIO::svggraph(3pm)

NAME
Bio::TreeIO::svggraph - A simple output format that converts a Tree object to an SVG output SYNOPSIS
use Bio::TreeIO; my $in = Bio::TreeIO->new(-file => 'input', -format => 'newick'); my $out = Bio::TreeIO->new(-file => '>output', -format => 'svggraph'); while( my $tree = $in->next_tree ) { my $svg_xml = $out->write_tree($tree); } DESCRIPTION
This outputs a tree as an SVG graphic using the SVG::Graph API FEEDBACK
Mailing Lists User feedback is an integral part of the evolution of this and other Bioperl modules. Send your comments and suggestions preferably to the Bioperl mailing list. Your participation is much appreciated. bioperl-l@bioperl.org - General discussion http://bioperl.org/wiki/Mailing_lists - About the mailing lists Support Please direct usage questions or support issues to the mailing list: bioperl-l@bioperl.org rather than to the module maintainer directly. Many experienced and reponsive experts will be able look at the problem and quickly address it. Please include a thorough description of the problem with code and data examples if at all possible. Reporting Bugs Report bugs to the Bioperl bug tracking system to help us keep track of the bugs and their resolution. Bug reports can be submitted via the web: https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/bioperl/ AUTHOR - Brian OConnor Email brian.oconnor-at-excite.com CONTRIBUTORS
Allen Day Guillaume Rousse, Guillaume-dot-Rousse-at-inria-dot-fr APPENDIX
The rest of the documentation details each of the object methods. Internal methods are usually preceded with a _ new Title : new Usage : my $obj = Bio::TreeIO::svggraph->new(); Function: Builds a new Bio::TreeIO::svggraph object Returns : Bio::TreeIO::svggraph Args :-width => image width (default 1600) -height => image height (default 1000) -margin => margin (default 30) -stroke => stroke color (default 'black') -stroke_width=> stroke width (default 2) -font_size=> font size (default '10px') -nomalize => undef or 'log' (default is undef) write_tree Title : write_tree Usage : $treeio->write_tree($tree); Function: Write a tree out to data stream in newick/phylip format Returns : none Args : Bio::Tree::TreeI object decorateRoot Title : _decorateRoot Usage : internal methods Function: Example : Returns : Args : next_tree Title : next_tree Usage : Function: Sorry not possible with this format Returns : none Args : none perl v5.14.2 2012-03-02 Bio::TreeIO::svggraph(3pm)