Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to remove the last 3 lines from many files? Post 302662777 by balajesuri on Wednesday 27th of June 2012 06:00:17 AM
Old 06-27-2012
Code:
#! /bin/bash

for x in `find vhost/ -type f -name "*.js"`
do
    total=$(wc -l < $x)
    from=$((total - 2))
    sed -i "$from,$total d" $x
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove certain lines in multiple txt files?

Hi , I have this type of files:- BGH.28OCT2008.00000001.433155.001 BGH.28OCT2008.00000002.1552361.001 BGH.28OCT2008.00000003.1438355.001 BGH.28OCT2008.00000004.1562602.001 Inside them contains the below: 5Discounts 6P150 - Max Total Usage RM150|-221.00 P150 EPP - Talktime RM150... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: olloong
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare two files and to remove the matching lines on both the files

I have two files and need to compare the two files and to remove the matching lines from both the files (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripter
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare files and then remove some lines

Hi everyone I have a dilemma and I'm hoping someone has an answer for me. I have two files: # cat masterfile line3 line4 line5 line6 line7 # cat tempfile line1 line2 line3 line4 I want to compare tempfile with masterfile. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the files that have less than certain lines

Hi all, I'm a newbie and I'm sorry if my question is too simple. I'm having problem to delete the files that have less than certain lines, say 16. #!/bin/tcsh set filen = `sh -c 'ls *csv 2> /dev/null'` foreach fil (${filen}) if ]; then rm -f ${filen} fi end exit ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoldenFire
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare one files with strings from another + remove lines

Have two files and want to compare the content of file1 with file2. When matched remove the line. awk 'NR==FNR {b; next} !(b in $0)' file1 file2file1 1. if match 2. removefile2 1. this line has to be removed if match 2. this line has a match, remove 3. this line has no match, no removingThe... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove duplicates lines in a files

I have a file called FILE cat FILE 11/11/2012 11/11/2012 12/11/2012 15/11/2012 need to remove the duplicates dates ( ie 11/11/2012 is present two times i need remove one duplicates date ) Need outputs like this 11/11/2012 12/11/2012 15/11/2012 I have tried using awk... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can you extract (remove) lines from log files?

I use "MineOS" (a linux distro with python scripts and web ui included for managing a Minecraft Server). The author of the scripts is currently having a problem with the Minecraft server log file being spammed with certain entries. He's working on clearing up the spam. But in the meantime, I'm... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two files, remove lines from second based on lines in first

I have two files, a keepout.txt and a database.csv. They're unsorted, but could be sorted. keepout: user1 buser3 anuser19 notheruser27 database: user1,2343,"information about",field,blah,34 user2,4231,"mo info",etc,stuff,43 notheruser27,4344,"hiya",thing,more thing,423... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: esoffron
4 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Remove duplicate lines from text files.

So, I have text files, one "fail.txt" And one "color.txt" I now want to use a command line (DOS) to remove ANY line that is PRESENT IN BOTH from each text file. Afterwards there shall be no duplicate lines. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pasc
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines from output in files using awk

I have two large files (~250GB) that I am trying to remove the where GT: 0/0 or 1/1 or 2/2 for both files. I was going to use a bash with the below awk, which I think will find each line but how do I remove that line is that condition is found? Thank you :). Input 20 60055 . A ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
TOTAL(1)						      General Commands Manual							  TOTAL(1)

NAME
total - sum up columns SYNOPSIS
total [ -m ][ -sE | -p | -u | -l ][ -i{f|d}[N] ][ -o{f|d} ][ -tC ][ -N [ -r ]] [ file .. ] DESCRIPTION
Total sums up columns of real numbers from one or more files and prints out the result on its standard output. By default, total computes the straigt sum of each input column, but multiplication can be specified instead with the -p option. Likewise, the -u option means find the upper limit (maximum), and -l means find the lower limit (minimum). Sums of powers can be computed by giving an exponent with the -s option. (Note that there is no space between the -s and the exponent.) This exponent can be any real number, positive or negative. The absolute value of the input is always taken before the power is computed in order to avoid complex results. Thus, -s1 will produce a sum of absolute values. The default power (zero) is interpreted as a straight sum without taking absolute values. The -m option can be used to compute the mean rather than the total. For sums, the arithmetic mean is computed. For products, the geomet- ric mean is computed. (A logarithmic sum of absolute values is used to avoid overflow, and zero values are silently ignored.) If the input data is binary, the -id or -if option may be given for 64-bit double or 32-bit float values, respectively. Either option may be followed immediately by an optional count, which defaults to 1, indicating the number of double or float binary values to read per record on the input file. (There can be no space between the option and this count.) Similarly, the -od and -of options specify binary double or float output, respectively. These options do not need a count, as this will be determined by the number of input channels. A count can be given as the number of lines to read before computing a result. Normally, total reads each file to its end before producing its result, but this behavior may be overridden by inserting blank lines in the input. For each blank input line, total produces a result as if the end-of-file had been reached. If two blank lines immediately follow each other, total closes the file and proceeds to the next one (after reporting the result). The -N option (where N is a decimal integer) tells total to produce a result and reset the calculation after every N input lines. In addition, the -r option can be specified to override reinitialization and thus give a running total every N lines (or every blank line). If the end of file is reached, the current total is printed and the calculation is reset before the next file (with or without the -r option). The -tC option can be used to specify the input and output tab character. The default tab character is TAB. If no files are given, the standard input is read. EXAMPLE
To compute the RMS value of colon-separated columns in a file: total -t: -m -s2 input To produce a running product of values from a file: total -p -1 -r input BUGS
If the input files have varying numbers of columns, mean values will certainly be off. Total will ignore missing column entries if the tab separator is a non-white character, but cannot tell where a missing column should have been if the tab character is white. AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), rlam(1), tabfunc(1) RADIANCE
2/3/95 TOTAL(1)