Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing error message back to script Post 302662619 by AcerAspirant on Tuesday 26th of June 2012 11:15:39 PM
Old 06-27-2012
Passing error message back to script

I have one script that calls another script during execution. The other script does some processing, then either returns with exit 0 (if successful), or exits with error code numbers (if failed). However, in addition to the error code, I would like for that second script to be able to pass a message, in a string perhaps, to the initial script.

Would that be feasible?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to passing message along pipes??

Dear All, Would you tell me how I can passing a message along pipes? I have built a token ring connected with pipes, but I don't know how to pass the message along it through the command line... Thx. Yours, i- (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iminus
1 Replies

2. Programming

Passing Parameters and getting values back from a c program to Shell script

I am having a shell script which has to be called from a C program. I have to pass two parameters to this script. HOw can I do that? eg: int main() { char st1; char str2; // call a shell script call_sh(str1,str2) where call_sh is the name of the shell script. then i need to get the return... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeshsu
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing oracle parameters back to Shell

Hi All, Does anyone have any solutions for passing back multiple variables back to the SHELL from a call to an ORACLE procedure: eg #username='scott' #password='tiger' #database='orcl' username='ITGCD03D03' password='tC5epIew' database='ITGCD03D' sqlplus -s... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
4 Replies

4. Linux Benchmarks

What are the benchmark programs for Message passing?

Is there any benchmark programs for Message Passing like SPLASH-2 for Shared Memory. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkreddy
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Message passing to kerenel

i want to add a system call(successfuly added) and pass the message(which contains int and a string) /*code i used my program calling system call printmsg*/ message mm; mm.m1_i1=10; mm.m1_p1="hello"; printmsg(&mm); /*user library*/ printmsg(*m1) { printf("integer... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kathir_dz
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable from a child script back to the parent

Hi I have written a script using ftp to get files from one server and copy them to 2 dirrerent servers. I wish to call this script from a parent script that will check the number of files copied and run a check sum for each file. As the filenames for the files in the get portion of the script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andy82
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable to Expression in back ticks.

Hi, In my perl script I want to check whether *.csv files exist and take the count . Below is the code: $path = “/home/usr/jan/myfiles” my $File_Count = `ls *.csv | wc -l `; # Checks in the current directory #Works fine if files exists. my $File_Count = `ls $path/*.csv | wc -l `; # I need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Message passing toolkit

Hello, Has somebody download it before oracle deleted from support section? I tried dl it from: oracle.com/us/products/tools/message-passing-toolkit-070499.html Oracle Message Passing Toolkit but: section decommissioned. Same in support and edelivery I phoned to oracle support and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: time0ut
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Mail loops back to me error in /var/adm/message after patching

Hi, I am getting the below messsage in /var/adm/message after patching but sendmail is working after restoring the backup file. sendmail: q4G7U1Cj014774: SYSERR(root): 127.0.0.1 config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?) sendmail: q4G801cw025824: SYSERR(root): 127.0.0.1 config... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fayaz
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing control back to the shell script

Hi All, I have a shell script(test_abc.sh) with the following shell commands, which are invoking the same shell script with different parameters. test_abc.sh . ./test.sh abc >> test.log . ./test.sh xyz >> test.log . ./test.sh pys >> test.log . ./test.sh abc >> test.log . . ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
4 Replies
catch(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 catch(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
catch - Evaluate script and trap exceptional returns SYNOPSIS
catch script ?varName? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The catch command may be used to prevent errors from aborting command interpretation. The catch command calls the Tcl interpreter recur- sively to execute script, and always returns without raising an error, regardless of any errors that might occur while executing script. If script raises an error, catch will return a non-zero integer value corresponding to the exceptional return code returned by evaluation of script. Tcl defines the normal return code from script evaluation to be zero(0), or TCL_OK. Tcl also defines four exceptional return codes: 1 (TCL_ERROR), 2 (TCL_RETURN), 3 (TCL_BREAK), and 4 (TCL_CONTINUE). Errors during evaluation of a script are indicated by a return code of TCL_ERROR. The other exceptional return codes are returned by the return, break, and continue commands and in other special situa- tions as documented. Tcl packages can define new commands that return other integer values as return codes as well, and scripts that make use of the return -code command can also have return codes other than the five defined by Tcl. If the varName argument is given, then the variable it names is set to the result of the script evaluation. When the return code from the script is 1 (TCL_ERROR), the value stored in varName is an error message. When the return code from the script is 0 (TCL_OK), the value stored in resultVarName is the value returned from script. If script does not raise an error, catch will return 0 (TCL_OK) and set the variable to the value returned from script. Note that catch catches all exceptions, including those generated by break and continue as well as errors. The only errors that are not caught are syntax errors found when the script is compiled. This is because the catch command only catches errors during runtime. When the catch statement is compiled, the script is compiled as well and any syntax errors will generate a Tcl error. EXAMPLES
The catch command may be used in an if to branch based on the success of a script. if { [catch {open $someFile w} fid] } { puts stderr "Could not open $someFile for writing $fid" exit 1 } The catch command will not catch compiled syntax errors. The first time proc foo is called, the body will be compiled and a Tcl error will be generated. proc foo {} { catch {expr {1 +- }} } SEE ALSO
break(1T), continue(1T), error(1T), return(1T), tclvars(1T) KEYWORDS
catch, error ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl 8.0 catch(1T)