Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix vs linux in the job place and other questions Post 302662315 by vbe on Tuesday 26th of June 2012 11:52:05 AM
Old 06-26-2012
ITs more a question of what do you want to do: development or administration?
To be good in UNIX depends what you call good... Being able to sort yourself out is the first step...
e.g. Todays issue at work : a dept cannot access their NAS, the enigineers responsible restarted the smb /CIFs etc..
I was called after 2 1/2 hours when people got desperate, I know nothing bout the OS ( weird Debian with what looks like half of the commands existing reminding me of a chroot...) its a VM, it took me 15 minutes to get things working... all I needed was 1: vi 2: a valid account, 3: sudo root when needed...
The linux engineers know I am sure far more commands than me (I am not linux ) but I have many years of UNIX experience and so I see issues with a different approach...

Last edited by vbe; 06-26-2012 at 01:04 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to vbe For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a place like this for LINUX questions?

Is there some place like this unix.com for linux questions? a forum like area to ask questions? I love this site, i've learned a lot (use unix - solaris, and linux - redhat). Unfortunately redhat.com has gotten rid of their support forums, everything is in a list type format and I don't want to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Absolute n00b questions about Unix / Linux

Hi All, I have absolutely no experince with either one, and would LOVE to start from somewhere! So please guide me to some web sites (beside these great forums of course!) that I can obtain n00b information. (Books, links, resources, etc.) What software OS? should I begin with? I have heard... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CodeHunter
2 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Questions about Unix/Linux

Hello all. Im a young lad with very limited experience with computers, even though I have been playing with them the past 5 years. I have the experience of the random World of Warcraft player that plays games all day. I have a huge interest in learning everything about computers and I was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vallzi
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux Scripts questions

Hi All, You have a very large file, named 'ColCheckMe', tab-delimited, that you are asked to process. You are told that each line in 'ColCheckMe' has 7 columns, and that the values in the 5th column are integers. Using shell functions (and standard LINUX/UNIX filters), indicate how you would... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: am2007
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are job prospects for Unix Linux administrator?

What are job prospects for Unix Linux administrator? How much does the Linux administrator suppose to earn nowadays? I notice that the IT wage scale has been dropping across the board in Canada so I wonder if Linux administrator enumeration is affected too. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sito
3 Replies

6. Advertise with Us

How to Post to The UNIX and Linux Forums Job Board

The UNIX and Linux Job Board is a service provided by the The UNIX and Linux Forums to help employers connect with UNIX and Linux professionals. All proceeds from this service go towards supporting the forums. Please PM Neo or email with any questions about this service. Promotion A: $99 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

UNIX/Linux for Windows? and a few other questions...

1) I want UNIX but I don't want to partition my hard drive. I have heard of programs that allow you to start UNIX from Windows but I don't know which one is good. Something like WinLinux (not too sure???) Anyone know which programs I'm talking about? 2) Is Linux UNIX? 3) How do you pronounce... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: CornNuts
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Few questions on unix/linux

Hi , please give few answers for this questions:confused::confused: ...thanks in advance What shell do you use when you log in to a UNIX/Linux host? What command will show you the shell you're using? Describe 5 things you can do in Linux/UNIX. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hecker007
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix and Linux questions

Sorry for the dumb question......I got my B.S. in computer science Amazing how I don't these answers).....I wrote mostly in the language C in my college career. I wrote all my programs using a windows application for writing C.....and then after testing it, I would upload it to a UNIX system and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bruuuuce78
1 Replies
STG-REPAIR(1)							   StGit Manual 						     STG-REPAIR(1)

NAME
stg-repair - Fix StGit metadata if branch was modified with git commands SYNOPSIS
stg repair DESCRIPTION
If you modify an StGit stack (branch) with some git commands -- such as commit, pull, merge, and rebase -- you will leave the StGit metadata in an inconsistent state. In that situation, you have two options: 1. Use "stg undo" to undo the effect of the git commands. (If you know what you are doing and want more control, "git reset" or similar will work too.) 2. Use "stg repair". This will fix up the StGit metadata to accomodate the modifications to the branch. Specifically, it will do the following: o If you have made regular git commits on top of your stack of StGit patches, "stg repair" makes new StGit patches out of them, preserving their contents. o However, merge commits cannot become patches; if you have committed a merge on top of your stack, "repair" will simply mark all patches below the merge unapplied, since they are no longer reachable. If this is not what you want, use "stg undo" to get rid of the merge and run "stg repair" again. o The applied patches are supposed to be precisely those that are reachable from the branch head. If you have used e.g. "git reset" to move the head, some applied patches may no longer be reachable, and some unapplied patches may have become reachable. "stg repair" will correct the appliedness of such patches. "stg repair" will fix these inconsistencies reliably, so as long as you like what it does, you have no reason to avoid causing them in the first place. For example, you might find it convenient to make commits with a graphical tool and then have "stg repair" make proper patches of the commits. Note If using git commands on the stack was a mistake, running "stg repair" is not what you want. In that case, what you want is option (1) above. STGIT
Part of the StGit suite - see linkman:stg[1] StGit 03/13/2012 STG-REPAIR(1)