Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers To Add extra commas to a CSV file. Post 302662143 by chillblue on Tuesday 26th of June 2012 08:26:21 AM
Old 06-26-2012
[Solved] To Add extra commas to a CSV file.

Hi All,

I got this requirement to process a complex CSV file.

Eg File.
Code:
Line 1: Name:,XYz
Line 2: Age:,15
Line 3: Grade:,7
Line 4: 
Line 5: English, Maths, Science,Spanish
Line 6:10,11,13,14

As you can see the maximum column is 4 . The file i need to make is
Code:
Line 1: Name:,XYz,,
Line 2: Age:,15,,
Line 3: Grade:,7,,
Line 4: ,,,,
Line 5: English, Maths, Science,Spanish
Line 6:10,11,13,14

Please notice the extra commas for those lines which is less than 4 ...

This has to be performed in Unix... I have to find out the maximum column length and apply the commas for those lines which does not have them.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by Franklin52; 06-26-2012 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing commas with tilde in csv file.

hello all, i have a comma delimited file. i want to replace the commas in the file with the tilde symbol using sed. how can i do this? thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: femig
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

manipulating csv to add extra row

hi how do i manipulate .csv file to add an extra row after each row using shell script? I need a blank line added for each 1000 records in my file? I will then need to copy and paste some data in the blank row created. thanks 4 ur support neil (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil546
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate commas after exporting excel file to csv

Hello everyone I'm new here and this is my first post so first of all I want to say that this is a great forum and I have managed to found most of my answers in these forums : ) So with that I ask you my first question: I have an excel file which I saved as a csv. However the excel file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spunkerspawn
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to remove extra commas from CSV outp file

Name,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Domain,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Contact,Phone,Email,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Location -----------------------,------------------------------------------------,-------,-----,---------------------------------,------------------------------------ ----... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreenath1037
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Extra Commas to a CSV file

Trying in this forum. Not sure if it is permitted.... but in need of help. Please find the requirements in the below link. https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/191503-add-extra-commas-csv-file-2.html#post302665179 Thanks in Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chillblue
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To Add extra commas to a CSV file using 2 files...

Hi , Based on my previous requirement the code works fine for comma as delimiter. Now my Req is widened up a bit .. There will be two set of files .. one with comma as delimiter and other with semi-colon ; as delimiter. Second Sample file. With Double Quotes (Semi-Colon... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chillblue
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK or SED. Need to replace the commas between double quotes in CSV file

Hello experts, I need to validate a csv file which contains data like this: Sample.csv "ABCD","I",23,0,9,,"23/12/2012","OK","Street,State, 91135",0 "ABCD","I",23,0,9,,"23/12/2012","OK","Street,State, 91135",0 I just need to check if all the records contain exactly the number of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete the commas in a .CSV file that are enclosed in a string with double quotes?

Okay, I would like to delete all the commas in a .CSV file (TEST.CSV) or at least substitute them with empty space, that are enclosed in double quote. Please see the sample file as below: column 1,column 2,column 3,column 4,column 5,column 6,column 7,column 8,column 9,column 10... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Removing commas from CSV file

Hi I'm creating a sh script to generate a csv file. The CSV contains the values from a sql table. The content looks this: a,b,c,c2,c3,,,,,,,,,,,d,e I have some code that can separate the fields using the comma as delimiter, but some values actually contain commas, such as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: preema
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove unwanted commas from a .csv file?

how to remove unwanted commas from a .csv file Input file format "Server1","server-PRI-Windows","PRI-VC01","Microsoft Windows Server 2012, (64-bit)","Powered On","1,696.12","server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R013,server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R031,server-GEN-SFCHT2-VMS-R023"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
5 Replies
RDF::Trine::Exporter::CSV(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			    RDF::Trine::Exporter::CSV(3pm)

NAME
RDF::Trine::Exporter::CSV - Export RDF data to CSV VERSION
This document describes RDF::Trine::Exporter::CSV version 1.000 SYNOPSIS
use RDF::Trine::Exporter::CSV; DESCRIPTION
The RDF::Trine::Exporter::CSV class provides an API for serializing RDF data to CSV strings and files. METHODS
"new ( sep_char => $sep_char, quote => $bool )" Returns a new RDF::Trine::Exporter::CSV object. If $sep_char is provided, it is used as the separator character in CSV serialization, otherwise a comma (",") is used. "serialize_iterator_to_file ( $file, $iterator )" Serializes the bindings objects produced by $iterator, printing the results to the supplied filehandle "<$fh">. "serialize_iterator_to_string ( $iterator )" Serializes the bindings objects produced by $iterator, returning the result as a string. BUGS
Please report any bugs or feature requests to through the GitHub web interface at <https://github.com/kasei/perlrdf/issues>. AUTHOR
Gregory Todd Williams "<gwilliams@cpan.org>" COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006-2012 Gregory Todd Williams. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-29 RDF::Trine::Exporter::CSV(3pm)