Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix vs linux in the job place and other questions Post 302661787 by j0n1n on Monday 25th of June 2012 07:00:52 PM
Old 06-25-2012
Bug Unix vs linux in the job place and other questions

hello all,

im new to this site...and look forward to corresponding with you all.

i am a microsoft kid (sad) currently i work on small networks and repair computers for home and business.

i want to better my skill set...but dont want to carry on down the MS route. Basically i want to acquire higher end skills to allow myself to be more employable by bigger organizations in future.

i was thinking about learning a flavor of linux and starting the LPI course.
but then i spoke to a good friend of mine who works in the UK and he suggested i rather learn Solaris Unix.

I was reading a report that said Unix is alive and well and is only growing in the large business sector.

So im thinking about it, but have a few questions.

1) are there a lot of unix jobs vs linux (in fact are there a lot of linux jobs)
2) If i learn unix will linux be easy to pick up
3) if i am to learn unix is solaris the way to go, or is there many other options
4) is solaris something that can be self taught and studied
5) If i learn to use solaris, does that mean i will be familiar with other types of unix like sco open bsd etc...
6) are there any prerequisites to learning solaris unix
7) are there other skills required to work with unix in the real world (i suppose it would depend on what you doing)

sorry so many questions, just looking for a push in the right direction...

thanks for reading
eagerly waiting your input

j0n1n

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a place like this for LINUX questions?

Is there some place like this unix.com for linux questions? a forum like area to ask questions? I love this site, i've learned a lot (use unix - solaris, and linux - redhat). Unfortunately redhat.com has gotten rid of their support forums, everything is in a list type format and I don't want to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Absolute n00b questions about Unix / Linux

Hi All, I have absolutely no experince with either one, and would LOVE to start from somewhere! So please guide me to some web sites (beside these great forums of course!) that I can obtain n00b information. (Books, links, resources, etc.) What software OS? should I begin with? I have heard... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CodeHunter
2 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Questions about Unix/Linux

Hello all. Im a young lad with very limited experience with computers, even though I have been playing with them the past 5 years. I have the experience of the random World of Warcraft player that plays games all day. I have a huge interest in learning everything about computers and I was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vallzi
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux Scripts questions

Hi All, You have a very large file, named 'ColCheckMe', tab-delimited, that you are asked to process. You are told that each line in 'ColCheckMe' has 7 columns, and that the values in the 5th column are integers. Using shell functions (and standard LINUX/UNIX filters), indicate how you would... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: am2007
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are job prospects for Unix Linux administrator?

What are job prospects for Unix Linux administrator? How much does the Linux administrator suppose to earn nowadays? I notice that the IT wage scale has been dropping across the board in Canada so I wonder if Linux administrator enumeration is affected too. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sito
3 Replies

6. Advertise with Us

How to Post to The UNIX and Linux Forums Job Board

The UNIX and Linux Job Board is a service provided by the The UNIX and Linux Forums to help employers connect with UNIX and Linux professionals. All proceeds from this service go towards supporting the forums. Please PM Neo or email with any questions about this service. Promotion A: $99 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

UNIX/Linux for Windows? and a few other questions...

1) I want UNIX but I don't want to partition my hard drive. I have heard of programs that allow you to start UNIX from Windows but I don't know which one is good. Something like WinLinux (not too sure???) Anyone know which programs I'm talking about? 2) Is Linux UNIX? 3) How do you pronounce... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: CornNuts
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Few questions on unix/linux

Hi , please give few answers for this questions:confused::confused: ...thanks in advance What shell do you use when you log in to a UNIX/Linux host? What command will show you the shell you're using? Describe 5 things you can do in Linux/UNIX. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hecker007
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix and Linux questions

Sorry for the dumb question......I got my B.S. in computer science Amazing how I don't these answers).....I wrote mostly in the language C in my college career. I wrote all my programs using a windows application for writing C.....and then after testing it, I would upload it to a UNIX system and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bruuuuce78
1 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)