Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Compare files with regular expression Post 302661315 by Scrutinizer on Monday 25th of June 2012 06:38:59 AM
Old 06-25-2012
idx is a mere variable in that script, not a command.. The script is giving syntax errors, therefore file 3 remains empty...

What is your desired output with these two input files?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare variable against regular expression?

is it possible? if so, how? i want to check a variable whether is it a number or letter in an if-else statement (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - compare $0 to regular expression + variable

Hi, I have this script: awk -v va=45 '$0~va{print}' flo2 That returns: "4526745 1234 " (this is the only line of the file "flo2". However, I would like to get "va" to match the begining of the line, so that is "va" is different than 45 (eg. 67, 12 ...) I would not have any output. That... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to apply a regular expression in all the files in a directory

I have say 100 text files (with .txt extension) in a directory. An example of the content in the file is given below "NAME" "cgd1_200" "cgd1_3210" "cgd1_560" "cgd2_2760" "cgd2_290" "cgd3_3210" "cgd3_3310" "cgd3_660" "cgd5_2130" "cgd5_4080" "cgd6_3690" "cgd6_4480" "cgd8_1540"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression to copy files

Hi All, I have a file with the contents as below. Current_path/file1 Current_path/file2 Current_path/file3 Now i want a regular expression to copy this files to cp Current_path/file1 HOME_DIR/Current_path/file1 cp Current_path/file2 HOME_DIR/Current_path/file2 cp Current_path/file3 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a regular expression and match in two (or more files) using bash

Dear all, I have a specific problem that I don't quite understand how to solve. I have two files, both of the same format: XXXXXX_FIND1 bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla ======== (return) XXXXXX_FIND2 bla bla bla bla bla bla (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTransporter
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying files using regular expression

I have 3 files names as HU123.IHS ,SU345.IHS DU567.IHS I have written a script to copy the files to the destination server but I am getting the error. /bin/cp '/dun/homes/11.3.7/packages/HU*.IHS' /dun/homes/11.3.7/Target But I am getting one error :- /bin/cp: cannot stat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maitree
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare a file name with a regular expression !!

Hi, I need to compare file names in a folder with several strings(which are in regular expression format): For example: there is a file "objectMyHistoryBook" and there are several strings to compare this file name with: objectMyMaths*, objectMyEnglish*, objectMyHistory*,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucifer_123
2 Replies

8. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Regular Expression to match files in Perl

Hi Everybody! I need some help with a regular expression in Perl that will match files named messages, but also files named message.1, message.2 and so on. So really I need one that will find messages and messages that might be followed by a period and a digit without matching other files like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hax0rc1ph3r
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find regular expression for two files?

I have files: sum_<INPUT FILENAME>.YYYYMMDDhhmmss.csv and sum_details_<INPUT FILENAME>.YYYYMMDDhhmmss.csv I have no idea, what is input filename, but in the code I would like to catch them in case I process them in the loop above case statement for *.${Today}.*.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
3 Replies
catch(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  catch(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
catch - Evaluate script and trap exceptional returns SYNOPSIS
catch script ?varName? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The catch command may be used to prevent errors from aborting command interpretation. Catch calls the Tcl interpreter recursively to exe- cute script, and always returns without raising an error, regardless of any errors that might occur while executing script. If script raises an error, catch will return a non-zero integer value corresponding to one of the exceptional return codes (see tcl.h for the definitions of code values). If the varName argument is given, then the variable it names is set to the error message from interpret- ing script. If script does not raise an error, catch will return 0 (TCL_OK) and set the variable to the value returned from script. Note that catch catches all exceptions, including those generated by break and continue as well as errors. The only errors that are not caught are syntax errors found when the script is compiled. This is because the catch command only catches errors during runtime. When the catch statement is compiled, the script is compiled as well and any syntax errors will generate a Tcl error. EXAMPLES
The catch command may be used in an if to branch based on the success of a script. if { [catch {open $someFile w} fid] } { puts stderr "Could not open $someFile for writing $fid" exit 1 } The catch command will not catch compiled syntax errors. The first time proc foo is called, the body will be compiled and a Tcl error will be generated. proc foo {} { catch {expr {1 +- }} } SEE ALSO
error(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
catch, error Tcl 8.0 catch(n)