Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Execute a function in background and then suspend it Post 302660619 by methyl on Friday 22nd of June 2012 05:16:04 PM
Old 06-22-2012
Quote:
I poll recent changes by identifiers. So when someone updates something the script knows.
Please post the solution - it might help explain the question.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

subshell & background function

Hello all, Can someone explain to me the advantage between using subshell over a function call in scripts? To me these are the same. Am I wrong to think this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry
4 Replies

2. Programming

want to run a function in background

consider the given prg. main() { ..... function1(); /* to write into a file or log */ printf(" "); ..... } when the control reaches function1(), it should get executed in the background.At the same time main's printf(" ") statement should also get executed.i.e... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankpro
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

unable to execute background job

I am unable to execute the below command in background. Plz suggest. #> ./test input >out & 913618 + Stopped (SIGTTIN) ./test input >out & Suresh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

A question about the PID of a background function

Dear all, I'm writing a KornShell script that calls inside it a function in background mode #!/bin/ksh function myfunction { . . .} myfunction |& . . . How can I capture the PID of the function myfunction that runs in background? Thanks in advance :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

suspend a *background* running job

Is there a way to suspend (TSTP?) a job that is running in the background, _without_ first bringing it to the foreground and inputting Ctrl-Z from the keyboard? IOW, something similar to issuing the shell's bg builtin command on a job ID to resume a job that is suspended in the background,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

A puzzle with a printing function executing in background

Somebody on a thread in the (french) Mandriva Forum recently suggested a script, designed to provide a tool to display kind of "temporisation widgets" on the console (to be ultimately pasted in other more complex scripts). One version of this script was something like the following, which seems... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: klease
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using ssh to execute a remote script in the background

Help please!! I want to use ssh to execute a remote exe and while it's running I want to query for the process ID of the exe (2 different ssh commands) 1. sshpass -p "<passwd>" ssh -f -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no root@<ipaddress> nohup /tmp/mmds_asyn & 2.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rvompoluTMW
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i execute nohup and background job inside the korn script for db2

load_cursor_stmt() { ls /db/admin/ddl/rmn01000/load_cursor*.sql|while read file do echo "${file}" `nohup db2 -tvf "$file" \&` done }Error: ------- /admin/ddl/rmn01000/load_cursor5.sql /db/admin/ddl/rmn01000/load_cursor6.sql + read file + echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop hangs in function running in background

Hello Everyone, I am writing a shell script to fetch log files from remote servers within a time range. It copies log files to local server, grep for date and then compares the time stamp of each log entry with the once specified. Below is the code. # Get log and Parsing function ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kanagalamurali
1 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)