Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Role password permission denied Post 302660611 by bartus11 on Friday 22nd of June 2012 05:02:51 PM
Old 06-22-2012
Are you running "passwd" as root?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permission denied??

i'm trying to set up my internet connection and i was told i need to edit the file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets but i get a permission denied message...why?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchillin
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission Denied

I just started computer science at UW Milwaukee. When I access the university Solaris system from PuTTY, I get permission denied when I try to access the file I wrote. Now I really have no idea what I'm doing, I just don't understand why I get permission denied in my won directory. Thank You ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: howeezy
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ERROR : Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).

Hello, when I try to connect to a remote machine through SSH username@host I am getting the error message Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive). Can any one tell me what is the problem. the key is added in the remote machines authorized_keys file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepusunil
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why do I keep getting .:Permission denied?

I'll start off by saying that I know very little about Unix - however, I do know that I have a .profile file in my home directory, and that I should be able to invoke it by typing . profile. However, when I do this for ANY .filename, I get ".: Permission denied". I'm pretty sure that there is... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbersani
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission denied

I would like to copy data from local mechine to cluster. Basically, I typed scp -r DVD/ acount@cluster:/ it shows Permission denied. Could anyone please give me a clue to write permission on cluster, please? The poperty of where on cluster I'd like to put is drwxr-xr-x Any idea would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: su_in99
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing password with sudo user " permission denied"

HI All, I am using solaris i created a user adam and updated his permissions in vi sudoers file as follows adam ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWORD: ALL ........... when i create user by logging as sudo user . $ sudo useradd -d /home/kalyan -m -s /bin/sh kalyan sudo: not found ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission denied when changing root password after reset

I have a Solaris 10 machine that I didn't know the root password to so I went into single user mode and removed the password from the shadow file and rebooted and I am able to login with no password now. But my problem is that when I try to change the root password from no password to something... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkone_d1_2000
0 Replies

8. Linux

Permission denied

I am using korn shell When I type in Telnet on cmd line, I get message "cannot execute" How can I get permission to execute command ? In which dir is telnet located ? I looked in /usr/bin dir. but its not there Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paramshamnani
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission denied

when i run echo "User” > /dev/tty5 why do i get permission denied? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinababy
2 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

"Permission denied" when trying to SSH my iPhone though password is correct

Hi, I hope this is the correct section in the forum to post as I'm trying to SSH from my MacBook. I was looking to see whether ssh on my jailbroken iPhone 6s (10.3.1) still works fine and was following this old reddit guide. I installed OpenSSH&OpenSSL from Cydia and changed the password using... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hss1
7 Replies
cvsd-buildroot(8)					      System Manager's Manual						 cvsd-buildroot(8)

NAME
cvsd-buildroot - create a chrooted directory structure for use in cvsd. SYNOPSIS
cvsd-buildroot DIRECTORY DESCRIPTION
cvsd-buildroot creates and populates a directory that can be used as a chroot jail for running cvsd (see cvsd(8) ) in. This script should be run as the root user since the creation of devices and the changing of ownership and permissions require this. The script gives warnings about files that it's not expecting. cvsd-buildroot creates the following directory structure: /bin This directory is populated with the cvs binary that is found on the system. /lib This directory is populated with all the libraries that are required for running programs in the /bin directory as well as some predefined required libraries that are present on the system. /dev Here null and zero devices are created. /etc In this directory a passwd file is created that is used for matching user id's with usernames. The root and cvsd user are added to this file if they're not there yet. The passwd file is checked for consistency with the system /etc/passwd to prevent mistakes. The passwd file is also populated with users referenced in the repository directories. Note that no password data from /etc/passwd or any other file is stored in the generated passwd file, all password entries are set to 'x'. /usr Here symbolic links are placed to /bin and /lib for some common library and binary directories found on the system. This is done for systems that have hard-coded paths for libraries. /libexec and /usr/libexec Symbolic links for these directories are created if they are present on the system. /tmp This directory is cleaned out on systems that have tmpreaper. After the directories are created and populated ownership and rights are set to a reasonable value (root:root,umask=022). OPTIONS
cvsd-buildroot takes one argument, namely a directory in which the chroot jail will be created. The directory should be specified with an absolute path. NOTES
Creating a chroot environment is a terribly non-portable thing to do and therefore you may experience problems with missing libraries and system files. For more information see the FAQ and the README. If you have to install libraries or perform actions not covered by cvsd-buildroot please report your findings to <cvsd-users@lists.arthurdejong.org>. Rerunning cvsd-buildroot after you have created your repository is advised since the repositories are checked for references to userid's and lockfile directories. SEE ALSO
cvsd(8) README FAQ AUTHOR
Arthur de Jong <arthur@arthurdejong.org>. Version 1.0.24 Jun 2012 cvsd-buildroot(8)