Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Delete line based on count of specific character Post 302660577 by tiggyboo on Friday 22nd of June 2012 04:07:46 PM
Old 06-22-2012
Delete line based on count of specific character

I'm looking for what I hope might be a one liner along these lines:
Code:
sed '/a line with more than 3 pipes in it/d'

I know how to get the pipe count in a string and store it in a variable, but I'm greedy enough to hope that it's possible via regex in the /.../d context. Am I asking too much? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Franklin52; 06-24-2012 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete a line based on first character of the line

Hi, I need to delete all lines in a file which starts with "|" character. Can some one assist me? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borncrazy
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

count occurences of specific character in the file

For counting the occurences of specific character in the file I am issuing the command grep -o 'character' filename | wc -w It works in other shells but not in HP-UX as there is no option -o for grep. What do I do now? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: superprogrammer
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character(s) very large file

I'm trying to count the number of 2 specific characters in a very large file. I'd like to avoid using gsub because its taking too long. I was thinking something like: awk '-F' { t += NF - 1 } END {print t}' infile > outfile which isn't working Any ideas would be great. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to search and replace based on character count

Hi, I wanted to add a newline character after every 100 characters in a file using a awk or shell without reading each line of the file. I want to run a command on the complete file. This does based on a string but i want to add a new line after every 100 characters ir-respective of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaykrc
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert leading zeroes based on the character count

Hi, I need add leading zeroes to a field in a file based on the character count. The field can be of 1 character to 6 character length. I need to make the field 14bytes. eg: 8351,20,1 8351,234,6 8351,2,0 8351,1234,2 8351,123456,1 8351,12345,2 This should become. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpaulose
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Count specific word or character per line

Hi, I need help regarding counting specific word or character per line and validate it against a specific number i.e 10. And if number of character equals the specific number then that line will be part of the output. Specific number = 6 Specific word or char = || Sample data:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janzper
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File character adjustment based on specific character

i have a reqirement to adjust the data in a file based on a perticular character the sample data is as below 483PDEAN CORRIGAN 52304037528955WAGES 50000 89BP ABCD MASTER352 5434604223735428 4200 58BP SOUTHERN WA848 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pema.yozer
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed delete a line from csv file based on specific data in two separate fields

Hello, :wall: I have a 12 column csv file. I wish to delete the entire line if column 7 = hello and column 12 = goodbye. I have tried everything that I can find in all of my ref books. I know this does not work /^*,*,*,*,*,*,"hello",*,*,*,*,"goodbye"/d Any ideas? Thanks Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chris Eagleson
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the pipes "|" in line and delete line if count greter then number.

Hello, I have been working on Awk/sed one liner which counts the number of occurrences of '|' in pipe separated lines of file and delete the line from files if count exceeds "17". i.e need to get records having exact 17 pipe separated fields(no more or less) currently i have below : awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)