Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Restarting inetd picks up environment, passed on via telnet Post 302660513 by mde on Friday 22nd of June 2012 02:49:09 PM
Old 06-22-2012
Restarting inetd picks up environment, passed on via telnet

Curious problem I just encountered: needing to restart inetd, I su'd to root and executed the usual commands
Code:
# /etc/init.d/inetsvc stop
# /etc/init.d/inetsvc start

Shortly after this, users started reporting unexpected behaviour after logging in with telnet, and it turned out they all had environment variables set to values that only I would use.

It appears (at least, this is the only explanation I have been able to come up with) that inetd inherited my environment (carried over via su) when I executed the 'inetsvc start' script, and telnet, and thence the login shell, then also inherited that environment.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a bug? Or should I have restarted the service some other way?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inetd and security

Ok, So I've been lazy over the past 3 years with the SCO server I maintain, as it just primarily hosts my private networked proprietary software, until now. We have dedicated net access, in which the SCO server is not setup for and not going to be setup to connect to the internet by any direct... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ftn96
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

refreshing inetd

Hi I have a question, what is the purpose of this command and what will it do "refresh -s inetd" Thanks in Advance Swaraj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kswaraj
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

inetd process

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi All , I have a client an server among which i want to make the server an inetd process. I have enries in etc/services and etc/inetd.conf The enries looks like below etc/services servername 5551/tcp... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: binums
4 Replies

4. IP Networking

Error inetd

Hi , I need help, today I restarted the server, when the machine was up, it had been to writte in the file osmlog that : "inetd: talk/udp: bind: Address already in use" This message appears in ten minutes every time. Why ? Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: By_Jam
6 Replies

5. Solaris

cannot telnet after restarting server

Dear guys, Pls help me this case. I telnet normally to Solaris. After restarting it manually, I can only console, cannot telnet from my latop although I can ping it. I checked /etc/default/login /usr/sbin/in.telnetd /etc/inet/inetd.conf All these files are the same. I don't see telnet... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wipi
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Inetd problem

Hi All, When i am trying to restart the inetd daemon it throughing error. Please find the message and tell me what i need to do ? Apr 7 22:57:37 HYDOHS01 inetd: ISTATE not in environment Apr 7 22:57:41 HYDOHS01 inetd: stop: No such file or directory Apr 7 22:58:01 HYDOHS01 inetd: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbreddy
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop picks up password for 2 entry...how to avoid that ?

hello all, i am trying to find a better to do what i am doing right now... i have a file called sidlist...which has my database_name and password to the respective database so something like below.. file is called sidlist and entry is below... test, abc123 kes12, abcd12 pss, abcd1234... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul.irfan2
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

From where mv command picks

Hi, I am using mv command for moving file mv /tmp/test /tmp/test_bkp but I am getting change from notrun to 0 failed: Could not find command 'mv' I am using mv command in puppet language, so generally we use like below command => "/usr/bin/awk '/search/ { print $1}' /tmp/test ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stew
1 Replies
UPDATE-INETD(8) 						      rlinetd							   UPDATE-INETD(8)

NAME
update-inetd - manage rlinetd (and inetd) configuration entries SYNOPSIS
update-inetd [options] --add ENTRY update-inetd [options] --remove SERVICE update-inetd [options] --enable SERVICE update-inetd [options] --disable SERVICE DESCRIPTION
update-inetd is a rlinetd's compatibility script, which can be used to by various Debian post-installation scripts to manage services in rlinetd configuration files directory /etc/rlinetd.d. update-inetd will spawn update-inetd.real(8) for managing entries in /etc/inetd.conf file. Please see update-inetd.real(8) for details. ACTIONS
--add ENTRY Adds an entry, which should be a line in a inetd.conf(5) format. --remove SERVICE Removes a service. --enable SERVICE Enables a service. --disable SERVICE Disables a service. OPTIONS
--version Prints version information on standard output and exit successfully. --debug Enables debugging mode. Note the option is also passed to update-inetd.real(8). Any other option is passed directly to update-inetd.real(8). FILES
/etc/rlinetd.conf, /etc/rlinetd.d/*, /etc/inetd.conf SEE ALSO
update-inetd.real(8), inetd.conf(5), rlinetd.conf(5), inetd2rlinetd(8) AUTHOR
Robert Luberda <robert@debian.org> Debian January 3rd, 2009 UPDATE-INETD(8)