Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Object matching with Wildcards Post 302659941 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 21st of June 2012 04:43:11 PM
Old 06-21-2012
Your welcome! If you want to test if any file with that pattern is present you could try something like this, which was written by cfajohnson:
Code:
file_exists()
{
  for _file; do
    [ -f "$_file" ] && return
  done
  return 1
}

Code:
$ if file_exists abc??????; then echo hello; fi
hello
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wildcards in VI

I'm trying to delete lines from a large text file using VI. Every line that I am wanting to delete start with 'S' - all others do not. (A list of users) I've tried using * but doesn't seem to like it...any ideas... Doesn't have to be VI - but I'm better with VI than sed/awk. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards

when writing a shell script (bourne) and using a unix command like 'ls' is there anything special you need to do to use a wildcard (like *)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with wildcards

ok, I'm trying to write a script file that lists files with specific elements in the name into a txt file, it looks like this ls s*.dat > file_names.txt can't figure out whats wrong with that line, any ideas? thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards NOT

Hi All Please excuse another straightforward question. When creating a tar archive from a directory I am attempting to use wildcards to eliminate certain filetypes (otherwise the archive gets too large). So I am looking for something along these lines. tar -cf archive.tar * <minus all *.rst... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I am new to PHP and UNIX. I am using Apache to do my testing on a Windows Vista machine. I am getting this error when I am trying to connect to a web service. I did a search and did not see any posts that pertain to this. Here is my function: <?php function TRECSend($a, $b, $c, $d,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: EddiRae
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED and wildcards

I am using this code to locate and modify one particular ID in a file containing thousands of entries sed 's/^>OldID/>NewID/g' Infile > Outfile How can I modify the code so I can rename all old IDs to a new unique ID? I tried this sed 's/^>*/>NewID/g' Infile > Outfile but it did not... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wildcards

These 2 websites do a GREAT job of explaining different types of wildcards. I learned about the categories of characters which I never knew about at all. GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Guide - Wildcards GREP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep wildcards

Hi all I want to search for number in file presented with wildcard as shown below. cat file.txt 1405 1623 1415 ....... ....... How to search for the number 141526 for example? If the number exist print "Number 141526 exist" if no, print "The number not exist" Thank you in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasil
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file1 for matching line in file2 and print the difference in matching lines

Hello, I have two files file 1 and file 2 each having result of a query on certain database tables and need to compare for Col1 in file1 with Col3 in file2, compare Col2 with Col4 and output the value of Col1 from File1 which is a) not present in Col3 of File2 b) value of Col2 is different from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RasB15
2 Replies

10. Programming

How to initialize an object with another object of different class?

How to initialize an object of class say "A", with an object of type say "B". The following code give the error message "error: conversion from âAâ to non-scalar type âBâ requested" #include <iostream> using namespace std; class B; class A{ public: A() { cout <<"\nA()" << endl; } ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techmonk
1 Replies
GAPPLETVIEWER(1)                                                        GNU                                                       GAPPLETVIEWER(1)

NAME
gappletviewer - Load and runs an applet SYNOPSIS
appletviewer [OPTION]... URL... appletviewer [OPTION]... -code CODE appletviewer [OPTION]... -plugin INPUT,OUTPUT DESCRIPTION
The appletviewer tool loads and runs an applet. Use the first form to test applets specified by tag. The URL should resolve to an HTML document from which the appletviewer will extract applet tags. The APPLET, EMBED and OBJECT tags are supported. If a given document contains multiple applet tags, all the applets will be loaded, with each applet appearing in its own window. Likewise, when multiple URLs are specified, each applet tag instance is given its own window. If a given document contains no recognized tags the appletviewer does nothing. appletviewer http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/ Use the second form to test an applet in development. This form allows applet tag attributes to be supplied on the command line. Only one applet may be specified using the -code option. The -code option overrides the URL form -- any URLs specified will be ignored. appletviewer -code Test.class -param datafile,data.txt gcjwebplugin uses the third form to communicate with the appletviewer through named pipes. OPTIONS
URL OPTIONS -debug This option is not yet implemented but is provided for compatibility. -encoding CHARSET Use this option to specify an alternate character encoding for the specified HTML page. APPLET TAG OPTIONS -code CODE Use the -code option to specify the value of the applet tag CODE attribute. -codebase CODEBASE Use the -codebase option to specify the value of the applet tag CODEBASE attribute. -archive ARCHIVE Use the -archive option to specify the value of the applet tag ARCHIVE attribute. -width WIDTH Use the -width option to specify the value of the applet tag WIDTH attribute. -height HEIGHT Use the -height option to specify the value of the applet tag HEIGHT attribute. -param NAME,VALUE Use the -param option to specify values for the NAME and VALUE attributes of an applet PARAM tag. PLUGIN OPTION -plugin INPUT,OUTPUT gcjwebplugin uses the -plugin option to specify the named pipe the appletviewer should use for receiving commands (INPUT) and the one it should use for sending commands to gcjwebplugin (OUTPUT). DEBUGGING OPTION -verbose Use the -verbose option to have the appletviewer print debugging messages. STANDARD OPTIONS -help Use the -help option to have the appletviewer print a usage message, then exit. -version Use the -version option to have the appletviewer print its version, then exit. -JOPTION Use the -J option to pass OPTION to the virtual machine that will run the appletviewer. Unlike other options, there must not be a space between the -J and OPTION. BUGS
SEE ALSO
AUTHOR
0.98 2010-07-05 GAPPLETVIEWER(1)