Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search for string in a file, extract two another strings and concatenate to a variable Post 302659705 by Corona688 on Thursday 21st of June 2012 10:21:46 AM
Old 06-21-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by garg
Thank you,Corona688! One more question:
I have to change " < file > "to my real file name with path ( /usr/arch/suite.xml )
Naturally you have to give it the real file's location one way or another. The < > must stay, though! That's redirection, not fluff.
Quote:
Should I change $$ in /tmp/$$ ?..
Why change it? Does it not work?

$$ is the shell's PID, which I use to pick a unique temporary file. /tmp/ is the location for temporary files.
Quote:
I found one more thing, from this thread:_https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/105016-search-string-file-extract-another-string-variable.html (since I don't have permission to publish URLs yet, I posted like that)
Code:
MYVAR=`awk -F'"' '/build/ { print $6 "_" $10 }' suite.xml`
export MYVAR
echo $MYVAR

It looks like
Code:
iway@garg-ln:~/scripts> ./new.sh
30772_6.1.5

Of cause it will work only for specific string
If the order of things changes, it will break down. If it uses ' instead of ", it will break down. If they split the tag across lines, it will break down.
Quote:
I still waiting for your advises, your code and idea I like better...
Thank you for your time and consideration!
What advice are you needing? You figured out the one thing you needed to change -- the file location -- yourself. Does it work or not?

If it doesn't work, post the complete script you have including all changes you've made.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatenate two strings or several strings into one string in B-shell?

like connect "summer" and "winter" to "summerwinter"? Can anybody help me? thanks a lot. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fontana
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatenate a string and a variable

I need a way to build variable in this manner: variable_$i Inside a for loop i need to create it. where i goes from 1 to 30.. and then i need to print them on screen with echo $variable_$i which is the best way to do this? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreedivia
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to conditionally extract stanzas of a file based on a search string

Dear All, I have a file with the syntax below (composed of several <log ..... </log> stanzas) I need to search this file for a number e.g. 2348022225919, and if it is found in a stanza, copy the whole stanza/section (<log .... </log>) to another output file. The numbers to search for are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aitayemi
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string in a file and extract another string to a variable

Hi, guys. I have one question: I need to search for a string in a file, and then extract another string from the file and assign it to a variable. For example: the contents of the file (group) is below: ... ftp:x:23: mail:x:34 ... testing:x:2001 sales:x:2002 development:x:2003 ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search multiple strings on a file and copy the string next to it

I tried awk for this, but failed <or my code is not correct? I dont know>. Can anyone help me on this? ---------- Post updated at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:29 PM ---------- my working file looks like this: <empty> <empty> <empty> NAME :ABC AGE :15 GENDER... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate a string to a variable

Hello All, How to concatenate a string to a variable in a script I'm having a file which is consisting of data and i need to extract the first line of the file and append it to a string. /tmp/samp.list containg 60000 I like to concatenate it with a string (SS_) grep -w SS_$(head -1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nkamalkishore
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Extract data between two strings

hi, In a given directory, i need to search for a string (eg:ABCD). For a given file, i have to extract the text between START and END strings . I need to extract all the text between START and END and there can be multiple START and END in a file. Sample: There is a directort... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flamingo_l
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a string from a file and store it in variable

Hi, I've a file ImageSizeDetails.txt with the following contents: Image Name: swncd 01.10.00.04 Created: Wed Jan 9 14:05:48 2013 Image Type: ARM Linux Multi-File Image (gzip compressed) Data Size: 7351011 Bytes = 7178.72 kB = 7.01 MB Load Address: 00008000 Entry Point: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Parameswaran
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in search strings from text file, search for string in second text file and output to CSV

Hi guys, I have a text file named file1.txt that is formatted like this: 001 , ID , 20000 002 , Name , Brandon 003 , Phone_Number , 616-234-1999 004 , SSNumber , 234-23-234 005 , Model , Toyota 007 , Engine ,V8 008 , GPS , OFF and I have file2.txt formatted like this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: An0mander
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search strings from a file in files in a directory recursively; then print the string with a status

Hi All, I hope somebody would be able to help me. I would need to search a string coming from a file, example file.txt: dog cat goat horse fish For every string, I would need to know if there are any files inside a directory(recursively) that contains the string regardless of case.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
9 Replies