Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Delete first 100 lines from a BIG File Post 302659365 by methyl on Wednesday 20th of June 2012 07:27:33 PM
Old 06-20-2012
IMHO @drl's solution in post #15 nearly fulfils the requirement.

Reading between the lines, we are again presented with a faulty solution without a definition of the actual problem.

Taking into account Corona688's comment about inodes, this code would be safer on most unix/Linux Operating Systems:
Code:
cp test.log back.log
sed '1,100d' test.log>temp.log 
cat temp.log > test.log

I have used a similar code construct (albeit with grep -v)to remove persistent irrelevant entries from a system log where it was causing unwanted alerts (pending a fix).

Last edited by methyl; 06-20-2012 at 08:55 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to methyl For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

delete first 100 lines rather than zero out of file

Hi experts, in my solaris 9 the file- /var/adm/messeages growin too first. by 24 hours 40MB. And always giving the below messages-- bash-2.05# tail -f messages Nov 9 16:35:38 ME1 last message repeated 1 time Nov 9 16:35:38 ME1 ftpd: wtmpx /var/adm/wtmpx No such file or directory Nov 9... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
7 Replies

2. Solaris

delete first 100 lines from a file

I have a file with 28,00,000 lines of rows in this the first 80 lines will be chunks . I want to delete the chunks of 80 lines. I tried tail -f2799920 filename. is there any efficient way to do this. Thanks in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: salaathi
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete lines in a file that have duplicates or derive the lines that aper once

Input: a b b c d d I need: a c I know how to get this (the lines that have duplicates) : b d sort file | uniq -d But i need opossite of this. I have searched the forum and other places as well, but have found solution for everything except this variant of the problem. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: necroman08
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print #of lines after search string in a big file

I have a command which prints #lines after and before the search string in the huge file nawk 'c-->0;$0~s{if(b)for(c=b+1;c>1;c--)print r;print;c=a}b{r=$0}' b=0 a=10 s="STRING1" FILE The file is 5 gig big. It works great and prints 10 lines after the lines which contains search string in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash184u
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re: Deleting lines from big file.

Hi, I have a big (2.7 GB) text file. Each lines has '|' saperator to saperate each columns. I want to delete those lines which has text like '|0|0|0|0|0' I tried: sed '/|0|0|0|0|0/d' test.txt Unfortunately, it scans the file but does nothing. file content sample:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipeshvshah
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

In a huge file, Delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines

Hi All, I have a very huge file (4GB) which has duplicate lines. I want to delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines. Sort, uniq, awk '!x++' are not working as its running out of buffer space. I dont know if this works : I want to read each line of the File in a For Loop, and want to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnix
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete rows from big file

Hi all, I have a big file (about 6 millions rows) and I have to delete same occurrences, stored in a small file (about 9000 rews). I have tried this: while read line do grep -v $line big_file > ok_file.tmp mv ok_file.tmp big_file done < small_file It works, but is very slow. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tibbeche
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete records from a big file based on some condition

Hi, To load a big file in a table,I have a make sure that all rows in the file has same number of the columns . So in my file if I am getting any rows which have columns not equal to 6 , I need to delete it . Delimiter is space and columns are optionally enclosed by "". This can be ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hemantraijain
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to extract certain lines from big file

Hi All, I am trying to get some lines from a file i did it with while-do-loop. since the files are huge it is taking much time. now i want to make it faster. The requirement is the file will be having 1 million lines. The format is like below. ##transaction, , , ,blah, blah... (38 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad man
38 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to copy only some lines from very big file?

Dear all, I have stuck with this problem for some days. I have a very big file, this file can not open by vi command. There are 200 loops in this file, in each loop will have one line like this: GWA quasiparticle energy with Z factor (eV) And I need 98 lines next after this line. Is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phamnu
6 Replies
DOVEADM-LOG(1)							      Dovecot							    DOVEADM-LOG(1)

NAME
doveadm-log - Locate, test or reopen Dovecot's log files SYNOPSIS
doveadm [-Dv] log errors [-s min_timestamp] doveadm [-Dv] log find [directory] doveadm [-Dv] log reopen doveadm [-Dv] log test DESCRIPTION
The doveadm log commands are used to locate and reopen the log files of dovecot(1). It's also possible to test the configured targets of the *log_path settings. OPTIONS
Global doveadm(1) options: -D Enables verbosity and debug messages. -v Enables verbosity, including progress counter. COMMANDS
log errors doveadm log errors [-s min_timestamp] The log errors command is used to show the last - up to 1,000 - errors and warnings. If no output is generated, no errors have occurred since the last start. -s min_timestamp An integer value, representing seconds since the epoch - also known as Unix timestamp. When a min_timestamp was given, doveadm(1) will only show errors occurred since that point in time. log find doveadm log find [directory] The log find command is used to show the location of the log files, to which dovecot(1) sends its log messages. If dovecot(1) logs its messages through syslogd(8) and doveadm(1) could not find any log files, you can specify the directory where your syslogd writes its log files. log reopen doveadm log reopen This command causes doveadm to reopen all log files, configured in the log_path, info_log_path and debug_log_path settings. These settings are configured in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-logging.conf. This is for example useful after manually rotating the log files. log test doveadm log test This command causes doveadm to write the message "This is Dovecot's priority log (timestamp)" to the configured log files. The used prior- ities are: debug, info, warning, error and fatal. EXAMPLE
This example shows how to locate the log files used by dovecot(1). doveadm log find Looking for log files from /var/log Debug: /var/log/dovecot.debug Info: /var/log/mail.log Warning: /var/log/mail.log Error: /var/log/mail.log Fatal: /var/log/mail.log REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs, including doveconf -n output, to the Dovecot Mailing List <dovecot@dovecot.org>. Information about reporting bugs is avail- able at: http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html SEE ALSO
doveadm(1) Dovecot v2.2 2013-11-24 DOVEADM-LOG(1)