Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To find difference between two files on a whole Post 302658939 by anandek on Wednesday 20th of June 2012 07:58:36 AM
Old 06-20-2012
To find difference between two files on a whole

Hi,

The requirement is to compare two files that has single column of records each. Comparison is to happen on a whole and not line by line.

File1.txt

File2.txt

Now the output should be

I tried diff command, but it is checking the data line by line.
Please advise.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

to find difference between two files

I have a file which gets appended with records daily..for eg. 1st day of the month i get 9 records ,2nd day 9 records .....till the last day in the month...the no of records may vary...i store the previous days file in a variable oldfile=PATH/previousdaysfile....i store the current days file in a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh_248
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find difference in two files

Hola, Tengo un texto texto1.txt con el siguiente contenido: Malaga Cadiz Sevilla Hola Y otro .txt texto2.txt con: Malaga Cadiz Sevilla Cordoba Huelva quiero obtener en otro .txt la diferencia entre estos dos archivos: (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: danietepa
14 Replies

3. Solaris

Need help to find difference between two files

I need to find the difference between two files in UNIX. I tried diff, but couldn't get it right. There are two files: file1: apple mango strawberry banana grape file2: grape apple banana I need an output file like below: ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kisaad
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find difference between two files

I have two files as below File1: a b c d File2: a b When i find the difference the output would be c&d.. How can i get my requirement...pls help... Many thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagadish_gaddam
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find file size difference in two files using awk

Hi, Could anyone help me to solve this problem? I have two files "f1" and "f2" having 2 fields in each, a) file size and b) file name. The data are almost same in both the files except for few and new additional lines. Now, I have to find out and print the output as, the difference in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find difference between 2 files

I have 2 files as follows. file1.txt <cell>123</cell> <cell>345</cell> file2.txt <cell>123</cell> <cell>456</cell> out out should be output.txt <cell>456></cell> How do we achieve this> The difference betwenn the two files should be wirtten to the output file.. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanthrajgowda
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to find whether the difference between two files in only additions but not modifications

i basically have 2 files and sdiff of the files is given below sdiff file1 file 2 control_file < path INDEX < size 613 < mode 0444 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: under_cons
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find difference between 2 files by column

Hi , i am newbie to shell scripting and am trying to do the below job, A shell script to be run with a command like sh Compare.ksh file1.txt file2.txt 1 2 > file3.txt 1 2-are the key columns Consider the delimiter would be Tab or comma File 1: SK TEST NAME MATHS PHYSICS 21 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shakthi666
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Script to find difference between 2 files by column

Hi , i am newbie to shell scripting and am trying to do the below job, A shell script to be run with a command like sh Compare.ksh file1.txt file2.txt 1 2 > file3.txt 1 2-are the key columns Consider the delimiter would be Tab or comma File 1: SK TEST NAME MATHS PHYSICS 21 1 AAA... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shakthi666
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find difference in content between two particular lines in two files

I have two files named Before.txt and After.txt: Now i want to find the difference in content between <Marker 1> and <Marker 2> in the two files. ---------- Post updated at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:50 PM ---------- Any help will be highly appreciated..:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies
cmp(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cmp(1)

Name
       cmp - compare two files

Syntax
       cmp [-l | -s] file1 file2  [ skip1 ]  [ skip2 ]

Description
       The  command  compares two files.  If either file1 or file2 is `-', standard input is used for the file.  With no options, makes no comment
       if the files are the same.  If they differ, it reports the byte and line number at which the difference occurred to  standard  output.	If
       one file is an initial subsequence of the other a message including the file name is written to standard error.

The optional skip1 and skip2 parameters are initial byte offsets into file1 and file2 respectively and may be either octal, by specifying a
       leading 0, or decimal.  When using skip1 and skip2 the offset is treated as the start of the respective input file.  Only one option may be
       specified  at  a  time.	Only one of the input files may be standard input at a time.  Because the line number is not calculated when using
       either of the options the use of either flag will increase the speed of

Options
       -l Long format:	prints the byte number (decimal) and the differing bytes (octal) for each difference.

-s Suppresses normal output and sets the exit code only.

Diagnostics
       Exit code 0 is returned for identical files, 1 for different files, and 2 for an inaccessible or missing argument.

See Also
       comm(1), diff(1)

cmp(1)