Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu How to Get Started on Ubuntu Desktop for the first time Post 302658449 by Northern Star on Tuesday 19th of June 2012 09:24:43 AM
Old 06-19-2012
Look up "Ubuntu Precise"

There you go. This site seems to hold a lot of useful information.

Good luck on your adventures!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The Desktop Messaging System Could Not Be Started HP-UX

Hi People! I've just got a HP-UX system dumped on me. I've started it, followed all the install/setup questions, and everything was going ok, right upto when going into the desktop enviroment I got the message "The Desktop Messaging System Could Not Be Started". Now I've checked the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpiuk
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is there any way to know how much time process was running from the moment it started

i have process that was started few days ago , is there way to know by its id how long it was alive in the system ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Would like to install x86 desktop Ubuntu over AMD64 Ubuntu server

My intention was to build a dual boot XP Pro 64 and Ubuntu media server. I had installed the AMD64 version of Ubuntu 8.10 server and thought that I would be able to install Apache server. I need a GUI to work in. I tried to boot and install Mythbuntu 32 bit 8.10, but my machine now won't recognize... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: docflyboy
0 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Ubuntu creating a new user with Desktop

Hi, I am using Ubuntu 8.04 32-bit x86 m/c. I am using the following command to create an user. useradd -d /home/new_user -m new_user -s /bin/bash But, I am not get to see the "Desktop" directory automatically created. May I know how to create it by default? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time elapsed since script started

Hi I want to know if there is anyway I can find out how long it has been since I started my script or total time it has been since my script is executing. Idea here is I want to check if my script is taking more than 30minutes to execute I want to kill that process. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dashing201
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I link my Ubuntu desktop to a separate partition?

I have a dual boot system on my laptop running Windows 7 professional and Ubuntu 10.10. I would like my windows 7 desktop C:\users\username\Desktop and also my Ubuntu 10.10 desktop /home/username/Desktop to both save their files to the same location somewhere...perhaps /windows (a 40 gb win32... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marcus Aurelius
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check whether a process started at particular time

I want to check whether a particular process has started at 10:00a.m or not. I can check process by ps -fu but dont know how to check it with respect to time. Could anyone help me with this? ---------- Post updated at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:52 AM ---------- can i use... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishore kumar
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting started with windows and screens without desktop environment

Hi there, Hope the title is sufficiently self explaining. I have no idea how to start and where to start. I don't even know what keywords to google for. I need to build a machine : based on Debian without desktop environment with a quite powerful multi-monitor graphic card able to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
9 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Installing latest Ubuntu on my desktop

I wish to install the latest ubuntu on my desktop. How do I go about doing this ? Also how do I create the superuser or admin once the installation is done ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundaresh
3 Replies
WHAT-PATCH(1)						      General Commands Manual						     WHAT-PATCH(1)

NAME
what-patch - detect which patch system a Debian package uses SYNOPSIS
what-patch [options] DESCRIPTION
what-patch examines the debian/rules file to determine which patch system the Debian package is using. what-patch should be run from the root directory of the Debian source package. OPTIONS
Listed below are the command line options for what-patch: -h, --help Display a help message and exit. -v Enable verbose mode. This will include the listing of any files modified outside or the debian/ directory and report any additional details about the patch system if available. AUTHORS
what-patch was written by Kees Cook <kees@ubuntu.com>, Siegfried-A. Gevatter <rainct@ubuntu.com>, and Daniel Hahler <ubuntu@thequod.de>, among others. This manual page was written by Jonathan Patrick Davies <jpds@ubuntu.com>. Both are released under the GNU General Public License, version 3 or later. SEE ALSO
The Ubuntu MOTU team has some documentation about patch systems at the Ubuntu wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/PatchSystems cdbs-edit-patch(1), dbs-edit-patch(1), dpatch-edit-patch(1) DEBIAN
Debian Utilities WHAT-PATCH(1)