Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Randomize letters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Randomize letters Post 302658079 by jeppe83 on Monday 18th of June 2012 06:18:18 PM
Old 06-18-2012
Randomize letters

Hi,

Is there a tool somewhat parallel to rev, but which randomizes instead of reverses?

I've tried rl, but I can only get it to randomize words.

I was hoping for something like this
Code:
echo "hello" | ran 
leolh

less simpler solutions are also welcome.
Sorry if the question is trivial or answered before, but I cant seem to find a solution..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

capital letters GONE!

I have an odd issue. I am trying to copy some files/folders to my linux box via a burned CD which I created on my mac. When I browse the files on the mac (or my windows box), everything looks fine (some of the folder names start with a capital letter, which is needed for everything to work... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: blogg
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim letters

Hello, I have a list of words.. ranging from 4 to any characters long.. to not more than 20 though. How can I select only first seven letters of the list of words? example:- wwwwwwwwww eeeee wererreetf sdsarddrereewtewt sdsdsds sdsd ereetetttt ewtwertwrttrttrtrtwtrww I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to strip few letters

Hey guys.. Can experts help me in achieving my purpose.. I have a file which contains email address of some 100 to 1000 domains, I need only the domain names.. Eg: abc@yahoo.com hd@gamil.com ed@hotmail.com The output should contain only Yahoo.com ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: achararun
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add letters

I want to add letters A,B,C,… in front of every line of input while printing them out using PERL. eg A file is parsed as a cmd line arg and its context will be displayed as A line1... B line 2.. I tried this..but I want better and perfect solution! !perl -p my $counter; BEGIN { $counter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aadi_uni
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Randomize a matrix

--please have a look at my third post in this thread! there I explained it more clearly-- Hey guys. I posted a complex problem few days back. No reply! :| Here is simplified question: I have a matrix with 0/1: * col1 col2 col3 row1 1 0 1 row2 0 0 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: @man
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Randomize a file

Hi, I have a large file that looks like this: @FCC189PACXX:2:1101:1420:2139/1 AGCGAGACTCCGTCTCAAAAAGAAAAAATTTTTCAAAATATTGCAATGGGCTTGTAATTTCTGCTTAAATGTCAGGAGGTCTGAGCCATT + bbbeeeceggggghiiiiiiiiiihfihihiiihhhghiihhihifhihiihhhhhhhhiiigfggggdceeeeebdcc^``bbcbccbb... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cut only letters?

I was wondering how I could cut only the names of items from the following list: spoons50 cups29 forks50 plates29 I used "man cut" and thought -c would help, but the items have different character lengths. Please note that there is no space between the item and number (so I can't use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: PTcharger
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Randomize columns in CSV file

Hi there, friends! Writing exams again! This time my wish would be to randomize certain columns in a csv file. Given a file containing records consisting of 3 columns tab-separated: A B C A B C A B C I would love to get the columns of each record in random order...separated by a tab as... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldeingles
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Random letters

Hi there, first of all this is not homework...this is a new type of exercise for practicing vocabulary with my students. I have a file consisting of two columns, separated by a tab, each line consisting of a word and its definition, separated by a line break. What i need is to replace a... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldeingles
15 Replies
STRFRY(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 STRFRY(3)

NAME
strfry - randomize a string SYNOPSIS
#define _GNU_SOURCE /* See feature_test_macros(7) */ #include <string.h> char *strfry(char *string); DESCRIPTION
The strfry() function randomizes the contents of string by using rand(3) to randomly swap characters in the string. The result is an ana- gram of string. RETURN VALUE
The strfry() functions returns a pointer to the randomized string. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +----------+---------------+---------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +----------+---------------+---------+ |strfry() | Thread safety | MT-Safe | +----------+---------------+---------+ CONFORMING TO
The strfry() function is unique to the GNU C Library. SEE ALSO
memfrob(3), string(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2015-03-02 STRFRY(3)