Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find command not searching path when -newer specified Post 302657761 by fletchdb2 on Monday 18th of June 2012 10:36:44 AM
Old 06-18-2012
find command not searching path when -newer specified

When this command is issued from a directory other than where the file is located it works fine:
Code:
find /db2/D01/log_archive/ -name "S0002166.LOG" -type f
/db2/D01/log_archive/db2d01/D01/NODE0000/C0000000/S0002166.LOG

When I change -name to -newer, it doesn't work. Find only searches the current directory, not the path specified:

Code:
find /db2/D01/log_archive/ -newer "S0002166.LOG" -type f
find: S0002166.LOG: No such file or directory

There are files in the path newer than the one specified. The correct results are returned only if I execute the command in the same directory as the file, so it appears that with -newer, the find path isn't being searched.
What am I doing wrong?

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use next time code tags for your code and data

Last edited by vbe; 06-18-2012 at 11:42 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find files newer than...

Is there a way to use the find command to locate files newer than a specific date? Thanks! --Alex (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertigo23
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with find ! -newer

Hi, I would like to find if a file called test.log is older than 10 min. So i wrote : #!/usr/bin/ksh FICLOG="/home/uuu/result_test.log" FIC="/home/uuu/test.log" touch -t `perl -e 'use POSIX qw(strftime); printf("%s\n",strftime("%m%d%H%M",localtime(time-3600*0.17)));'`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbfree
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command to find the path of a file

What is the command to find the path of a file if we know the file name and the root directory where the file resides.. For eg. if a file abc.dat resides in /home/mydir/myfiles/. I am looking for a command which will be fired from / directory, takes abc.dat as input and display the path of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilashnair
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create PATH from find command output

I'm trying to autogenerate a PATH variable from the output of a find command as follows: PATH=`find $dir -name "*.jar" | sed 's/$/:/'` The output looks similar like this if I echo it: PATH=/path/to/1.jar: /path/to/2.jar: /path/to/3.jar: I want the path to be on one line. I'm on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find -cmin or fin -newer

I am running SUSE/8 and SUSE/9 on a high end server (4 CPU, 8G RAM etc) I have a huge directory structure with over 4million files in it. I have find the files that are modified (created, modified, renamed etc etc) in the last 10 minutes periodically. I have tried "find -cmin -10" and "find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xxxyyyy
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with find's -newer Flag

I am writing a script that looks in a reports directory, copies a specified script to a working folder, copies some data files into the working folder, runs the report, zips the new files, then uploads them. Right now to determine what files to zip (as I don't know how many report files there... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: droppedonjapan
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command to find the absolute path

i understand by using the pwd command we get the present working directory. which command is used to find absolute path from home directory to root.. What is absolute path to your and root user's home directory.:confused::confused::confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaziafathima
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find files newer than x days

We had an arrant rsync run and started copying over new files from one system to another. Although this is what we will want to do at some point, for now, we want to maintain the system as it was a few days ago. I am looking for a script that will find files that are newer than x days. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leyva62
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command not searching recursively

I'm searching for particular scripts that contain pattern "BASIS" so I used the following command: find . -type f -print | xargs grep "BASIS" or find . -type f -exec grep "BASIS" {} \; However, I found out that the find command in the UNIX box that I'm working on doesn't find files... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Gamemaster
6 Replies

10. Red Hat

How to find the path of a command?

Hi guys. I want to know the path of a command. I tried "which" command also . But no luck. Please tell me how to find and update the correct path of the command. Here I'm unable to find the path of ext2online command # resize2fs /dev/vg01/lvora_backup resize2fs 1.39 (29-May-2006)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
3 Replies
DOVEADM-LOG(1)							      Dovecot							    DOVEADM-LOG(1)

NAME
doveadm-log - Locate, test or reopen Dovecot's log files SYNOPSIS
doveadm [-Dv] log errors doveadm [-Dv] log find [directory] doveadm [-Dv] log reopen doveadm [-Dv] log test DESCRIPTION
The doveadm log commands are used to locate and reopen the log files of dovecot(1). It's also possible to test the configured targets of the *log_path settings. OPTIONS
Global doveadm(1) options: -D Enables verbosity and debug messages. -v Enables verbosity, including progress counter. COMMANDS
log errors doveadm log errors The log errors command is used to show the last - up to 1,000 - errors and warnings. If no output is generated, no errors have occurred since the last start. log find doveadm log find [directory] The log find command is used to show the location of the log files, to which dovecot(1) sends its log messages. If dovecot(1) logs its messages through syslogd(8) and doveadm(1) could not find any log files, you can specify the directory where your syslogd writes its log files. log reopen doveadm log reopen This command causes doveadm to reopen all log files, configured in the log_path, info_log_path and debug_log_path settings. These settings are configured in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-logging.conf. This is for example useful after manually rotating the log files. log test doveadm log test This command causes doveadm to write the message "This is Dovecot's priority log (timestamp)" to the configured log files. The used prior- ities are: debug, info, warning, error and fatal. EXAMPLE
This example shows how to locate the log files used by dovecot(1). doveadm log find Looking for log files from /var/log Debug: /var/log/dovecot.debug Info: /var/log/mail.log Warning: /var/log/mail.log Error: /var/log/mail.log Fatal: /var/log/mail.log REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs, including doveconf -n output, to the Dovecot Mailing List <dovecot@dovecot.org>. Information about reporting bugs is avail- able at: http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html SEE ALSO
doveadm(1) Dovecot v2.1 2012-02-22 DOVEADM-LOG(1)