Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to find from / but exclude certain folder? Post 302657701 by gjackson123 on Monday 18th of June 2012 09:05:43 AM
Old 06-18-2012
Bug How to find from / but exclude certain folder?

Hi All,

Thanks to all 3 respondent to my queries. Below are the out the outcome from your suggestions:

Quote:
Len wrote:
find / -type d -path /export/home -prune -o -ls
find: bad option -path
find: [-H | -L] path-list predicate-list (Solaris does not support -path syntax)

Quote:
alister wrote:
find / -type d -name home -exec test {} = /export/home \; -prune -o -ls
Brief to the point and works fine and make use of all the functionalities available in find.

Quote:
methyl wrote:
#!/bin/ksh
mount | awk '{print $1}' |grep -v "\/export\/home" | sort | while read filesystem
do
find ${filesystem} -xdev -type f -print
done
Too much scripting which doesn't make use of all the built-in features in find even though it also worked.

The second suggestion is most useful even though it is much appreciated for all your inputs.

Thanks,

George

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i exclude the current directory when using find?

i want to compile a list of files in all sub directories but exclude the current directory. the closest i could get was to search 'only' the current directory, which is the opposite of what i wanted. find . ! -name . -prune (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find but exclude directories

Hello, I have a line in my script to find the files changed in the last 24 hours. It is as below: find /home/hary -type f -mtime -1 I now want to exclude a directory named "/home/hary/temp/cache" from the above find command. How do I add it to my script? Any help is appreciated. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tadi18
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all text files in folder and then copy to a new folder

Hi all, *I use Uwin and Cygwin emulator. I´m trying to search for all text files in the current folder (C/Files) and its sub folders using find -depth -name "*.txt" The above command worked for me, but now I would like to copy all found text files to a new folder (C/Files/Text) with ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - Find command to exclude sub-directories

Hi Forum. I'm trying to write a script that finds and deletes files that are older than 300 days. The script will read a table that contains the following 3 columns: 1st col: “Y” means sub-directory scan; "N" means no subdirectory scan 2nd col: sub-directory location 3rd col: File prefix... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude a directory in 'find'

Hi, I'm in the process of writing a shell script which will be ran under cron hourly and will check for files of specific age in my ftp folder, then moves those over inside a folder called "old" (which is within the ftp dir). But, I'm unable to figure out how to exclude the "old" folder when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mutex1
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find folder within folder, then find other folder in same dir

Hi all I'm new to your forum but not new to shells. I'm having a little trouble though as it's been quite some time since I scripted. Here's what I'm trying to do: I'm trying to search a directory named '/var/root/Applications' for another directory 'fooBar'. The "Applications" directory... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DC Slick
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command with exclude

I had a Shell script that removes the files that are in a directory older than the specified days. find /test/files -mtime +10 I would like to add another condition to the find command above that is to exclude any file starting with ‘CGU' Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: db2dbac
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

[Solved] Using Find with an exclude/exclude file

I am familiar with using tar and exclude/include files: tar zcf backup.dirs.tgz --files-from=include.mydirs --exclude-from=exclude.mydirs --no-recursion but was wondering if I could use find in the same way. I know that you can just specify the directories to exclude but my list is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How-To Exclude Directory in find command

How can i tweak the below find command to exclude directory/s -> "/tmp/logs" find . -type f \( ! -name "*.log*" ! -name "*.jar*" \) -printNote: -path option/argument does not work with the version of find that i have. bash-3.2$ uname -a SunOS mymac 5.10 Generic_150400-26 sun4v sparc sun4v (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and exclude what is in file

Hello everyone, I try to find folders older than 3 years and display them, but excluding some directories, the below code does NOT exclude listed directories: find . -maxdepth 3 -mtime +1095 -type d -exec ls -l {} \; | grep -vFf oldExclude >> older oldExclude Folder1/ Folder2/... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abu Rayane
7 Replies
TRUNCATE(1)							   User Commands						       TRUNCATE(1)

NAME
truncate - shrink or extend the size of a file to the specifed size SYNOPSIS
truncate OPTION... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Shrink or extend the size of each FILE to the specified size A FILE argument that does not exist is created. If a FILE is larger than the specified size, the extra data is lost. If a FILE is shorter, it is extended and the extended part (hole) reads as zero bytes. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --no-create do not create any files -o, --io-blocks Treat SIZE as number of IO blocks instead of bytes -r, --reference=FILE use this FILE's size -s, --size=SIZE use this SIZE --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE is a number which may be followed by one of the following suffixes: KB 1000, K 1024, MB 1000*1000, M 1024*1024, and so on for G, T, P, E, Z, Y. SIZE may also be prefixed by one of the following modifying characters: `+' extend by, `-' reduce by, `<' at most, `>' at least, `/' round down to multiple of, `%' round up to multiple of. Note that the -r and -s options are mutually exclusive. AUTHOR
Written by Padraig Brady. REPORTING BUGS
Report truncate bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
dd(1), truncate(2), ftruncate(2) The full documentation for truncate is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and truncate programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'truncate invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 TRUNCATE(1)