Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Speeding up search and replace in a for loop Post 302657533 by hergp on Monday 18th of June 2012 02:10:21 AM
Old 06-18-2012
Wow, I did not expect ex to be so much more efficient than sed.

Do you have the total run-time in seconds for the three approaches too, pbluescript?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Search for string on line then search and replace text

Hi All, I have a file that I need to be able to find a pattern match on a line, search that line for a text pattern, and replace that text. An example of 4 lines in my file is: 1. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData ReplaceMe moreData 2. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData moreData... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crypto
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Speeding up a Shell Script (find, grep and a for loop)

Hi all, I'm having some trouble with a shell script that I have put together to search our web pages for links to PDFs. The first thing I did was: ls -R | grep .pdf > /tmp/dave_pdfs.outWhich generates a list of all of the PDFs on the server. For the sake of arguement, say it looks like... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dave Stockdale
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - replace number of string length from search and replace for a serialized array

Hello, I really would appreciate some help with a bash script for some string manipulation on an SQL dump: I'd like to be able to rename "sites/WHATEVER/files" to "sites/SOMETHINGELSE/files" within the sql dump. This is quite easy with sed: sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: otrotipo
1 Replies

4. Programming

PERL, search and replace inside foreach loop

Hello All, Im a Hardware engineer, I have written this script to automate my job. I got stuck in the following location. CODE: .. .. ... foreach $key(keys %arr_hash) { my ($loc,$ind,$add) = split /,/, $arr_hash{$key}; &create_verilog($key, $loc, $ind ,$add); } sub create_verilog{... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: riyasnr007
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Speeding/Optimizing GREP search on CSV files

Hi all, I have problem with searching hundreds of CSV files, the problem is that search is lasting too long (over 5min). Csv files are "," delimited, and have 30 fields each line, but I always grep same 4 fields - so is there a way to grep just those 4 fields to speed-up search. Example:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Whit3H0rse
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl search and replace - search in first line and replance in 2nd line

Dear All, i want to search particular string and want to replance next line value. following is the test file. search string is tmp,??? ,10:1 "???" may contain any 3 character it should remain the same and next line replace with ,10:50 tmp,123 --- if match tmp,??? then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

search replace with loop and variable

Hi, could anyone help me with this, tried several times but still not getting it right or having enough grounding to do it outside of javascript: Using awk or sed or bash: need to go through a text file using a for next loop, replacing substrings in the file that consist of a potentially multi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wind
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested search in a file and replace the inner search

Hi Team, I am new to unix, please help me in this. I have a file named properties. The content of the file is : ##Mobile props east.url=https://qa.east.corp.com/prop/end west.url=https://qa.west.corp.com/prop/end south.url=https://qa.south.corp.com/prop/end... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tolearn
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Speeding up substitutions

Hi all, I have a lookup table from which I am looking up values (from col1) and replacing them by corresponding values (from col2) in another file. lookup file a,b c,d So just replace a by b, and replace c by d. mainfile a,fvvgeggsegg,dvs a,fgeggefddddddddddg... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: senhia83
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help speeding up script

This is my first experience writing unix script. I've created the following script. It does what I want it to do, but I need it to be a lot faster. Is there any way to speed it up? cat 'Tax_Provision_Sample.dat' | sort | while read p; do fn=`echo $p|cut -d~ -f2,4,3,8,9`; echo $p >> "$fn.txt";... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnN6
20 Replies
Audio::MPD::Common::Time(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			     Audio::MPD::Common::Time(3pm)

NAME
Audio::MPD::Common::Time - class representing time of current song VERSION
version 1.120881 DESCRIPTION
Audio::MPD::Common::Status returns some time information with the "time()" accessor. This information relates to the elapsed time of the current song, as well as the remaining and total time. This information is encapsulated in an Audio::MPD::Common::Time object. An Audio::MPD::Common::Time object does not update itself regularly, and thus should be used immediately. Note: one should never ever instantiate an Audio::MPD::Common::Time object directly - use the mpd modules instead. ATTRIBUTES
$time->time; The time passed to the constructor, used to compute all others values (see methods). It is the time value (on the "time" line) of what the MPD server returns to the status command. Defaults to "0:0". METHODS
my $str = $time->sofar; Return elapsed $time ("minutes:seconds" format). my $str = $time->left; Return remaining $time ("minutes:seconds" format). my $str = $time->left; Return total $time ("minutes:seconds" format). my $percent = $time->percent; Return elapsed $time (percentage, 1 digit). my $secs = $time->seconds_sofar; Return elapsed $time in seconds. my $secs = $time->seconds_left; Return remaining $time in seconds. my $secs = $time->seconds_total; Return total $time in seconds. my $mins = $time->sofar_mins; Return minutes part of elapsed $time. my $secs = $time->sofar_secs; Return seconds part of elapsed $time. my $mins = $time->left_mins; Return minutes part of remaining $time. my $secs = $time->left_secs; Return seconds part of remaining $time. my $mins = $time->total_mins; Return minutes part of total $time. my $mins = $time->total_secs; Return seconds part of total $time. AUTHOR
Jerome Quelin COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2007 by Jerome Quelin. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-04-01 Audio::MPD::Common::Time(3pm)