Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Backup script to split and tar files Post 302657489 by Chubler_XL on Sunday 17th of June 2012 11:19:16 PM
Old 06-18-2012
To find any file that is larger than 5Gb AND has been modified in the last week you can use:

Code:
find / mtime -7 -size +10485760 -print

Note: size is in 512 byte blocks hence 10485760 x 512 = 5,368,709,120 (5Gb).
mtime -7 is modification time less than 7 days ago

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to process the files using .tar.gz files in script

Hi, I have some file in /users/xyz directoty with .tar.gz extension. i need to find these files and if found in need to run other commands. I now the command for finding files,but how to put if condition ?please help me Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmkreddy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff. Backup Script Using TAR. Should be simple.

I'm specifically trying to find help or insight on using the --incremental ('-G') option for creating a tar. Please resist the urge to tell me to use --listed-incremental ('-g') option. That's fairly well documented in the GNU tar manual. GNU tar 1.19 This is what the manual does say in section... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: protienplant
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with tar in a backup script

I had an idea of very-very easy bacup script that packs ALL of the files in current dir (including the subfulders and with spaces in name), packs them with tar+gz and moves to a directory. I'm using Cywin under WinXP. But I have a problem with tar. When I do in a single line "tar -rf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TennageWerewolf
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Do incremental backup without tar files up

I'm trying to do a incremental backup for a big NFS. Since space is not an issue, I don't want to compress them or end up with a big tarball for full backup( and a series of small tarballs for incremental backup). Basically I want the TAR backup/restore functionality but not TAR files up.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: overmindxp
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

lvm/tar/rsync backup script feedback/criticism

I have written a shell script to perform backups using tar, rsync and optionally utilise lvm snapshots. The script is not finished but is in a working state and comments/descriptions are poor. I would greatly appreciate any criticism and suggestions of the script to help improve my own learning... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not correct processing of “\ “ in names of dirs inside shell script (tar command - system backup scr

Hello, Recently, I've started with shell scripting, and decided to write a script for my system backup using tar. When I was dealing with tar execution inside shell script I found this, inside shell we have the following code: tar $TAR_PARAMS $ARCHIVE_FILE $EXCLUDE $BACKUP_STARTwith... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilnar
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup files in tar format

Hi, I need backup all the files(including sub directories files ) which we modified today and create the tar file with the filename_<current_date>.tar Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gavemani
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote FTP Backup -Tar archive+ encrypt+ split to a remote ftp

I have a huge directoy(200+ gb) for backup. I want upload the tar file(split files) simultaneous to a remote ftp. (pipeline, stdout, stdin etc.) I don't want write a data to local hdd. I have a ssd hdd. thanks. this code doesn't work.( yes i know the problem is split command!) tar cvzf -... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tara123
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append files (backup .tar)

Hi all, I have to write a script which will keep for a particular user (username is first argument) backups of the account area to another. The script should accept as the second argument is a directory (or file), create one by storing a copy of the argument (using tar) and copies it to the list... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter20
0 Replies
DD(1)							      General Commands Manual							     DD(1)

NAME
dd - disk dumper SYNOPSIS
dd [option = value] ... EXAMPLES
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/fd1 # Copy disk 0 to disk 1 dd if=x of=y bs=1w skip=4 # Copy x to y, skipping 4 words dd if=x of=y count=3 # Copy three 512-byte blocks DESCRIPTION
This command is intended for copying partial files. The block size, skip count, and number of blocks to copy can be specified. The options are: if = file - Input file (default is stdin) of = file - Output file (default is standard output) ibs = n - Input block size (default 512 bytes) obs = n - Output block size (default is 512 bytes) bs = n - Block size; sets ibs and obs (default is 512 bytes) skip = n - Skip n input blocks before reading seek = n - Skip n output blocks before writing count = n - Copy only n input blocks conv = lcase - Convert upper case letters to lower case conv = ucase - Convert lower case letters to upper case conv = swab - Swap every pair of bytes conv = noerror- Ignore errors and just keep going conv = silent- Suppress statistics (Minix specific flag) Where sizes are expected, they are in bytes. However, the letters w, b, or k may be appended to the number to indicate words (2 bytes), blocks (512 bytes), or K (1024 bytes), respectively. When dd is finished, it reports the number of full and partial blocks read and writ- ten. SEE ALSO
vol(1). DD(1)