Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Pinging IP located on another interface Post 302657275 by NH2 on Sunday 17th of June 2012 03:38:33 AM
Old 06-17-2012
Pinging IP located on another interface

Hi,

I have a rather strange IP question...

Here's my problem:
  • I have a Linux box (call it "turing") with 2 NICs.
  • One network interface (eth0) has an IP assigned, say 192.168.42.50.
  • The other interface (eth1) is up, but has no IP yet.
My question: is it possible to determine from another computer connected to eth1 per ICMP echo request that the IP 192.168.42.50 is already assigned to my box "turing"? IOW:
  • the ICMP Echo request comes from eth1
  • the IP asked in the request is assigned to eth0
  • What I'd want to achieve: turing sends ICMP reply through eth1.
I am not sure if that's make any sense, or is possible...

You may wonder why on the earth I'm trying to solve such a twisted problem... It's a epic story... But in essence that is the problem (shaved to the bone) I need to solve for some new use cases of a system with bad architecture that I can't fix because it would break compatibility with other systems Smilie

Thanks,
/NH2

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

pinging IP's in a file

Hey all. I have a long list of IP addresses I want to ping. The IP's are located in a flat file "ping_info.dat". I was wondering what the best way to go about this would be. Can someone help me out? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalge2
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

pinging an ip

Hi, How to ping an ip from an unix machine. Can you please let me know the exact command. I used and i got the below error ping 171.18.17.2 bash: ping: command not found Thanks n regards Ammu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ammu
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Command line Interface or GUI Interface not shown on solaris

Dear all, I am a newbie in solaris and I need your advice. I have a Solaris version 5.9 installed on Sunfire V240. I am able to ssh the machine from putty remotely. My problem is that I cannot see the display from KVM switch I have connected to it. I need also to be able to see the GUI... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbouster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Forking and Pinging

Keep in mind that I haven't done Perl scripting for a LONG time, so I'm quite rusty. This is what I would like to do: - using fork, create 3 or 4 processes to read 3 or 4 different text documents containing server names or IP addresses - in each of those processes, Perl will ping each of those... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kooshi
7 Replies

5. SCO

Change SCO - GUI or Desktop interface to DOS based interface

Hi all I have installed a demo version of SCO OpenServer 5.0.2, I finally found it is Desktop Interface, I would like to know how to change its interface to dos based interface? If you have any ideas, please tell me then. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TinhNhi
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Server Pinging Problem

Dear all, I face some problem as below. I have a sun fire 280r server in a network. From that server i am able to ping any system in any network. But i am facing the problem when i try to ping the server from outside netwok. Once i give ping command in the server then only i try to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhansu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pinging a domain

how can you ping a domain and store the ip? like given a url in a variable $url how can i ping it? also how can i find the local server's ip address on a cpanel server? (i have multiple servers and didnt want to hard code it in) (basically i want to check the domain accounts on the server,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
11 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Pinging Host

I need to ping websites and I need to see which one has the highest delay. My problem is I need to extract the name Facebook and the time=74.0 ms using awk. I need help doing this please... PING facebook.com (173.252.90.36) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 5sku5
5 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Script for pinging continuously

Hi, I need to set up a script that would write the results of the ping command from one AIX server to another file may be every minute. Like this I need to gather the data for a period of 24 hours. Can someone please help me with this? G (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
5 Replies
IFNDP-PROXY(5)						       Network configuration						    IFNDP-PROXY(5)

NAME
ifndp-proxy[-<interface name>] - IPv6 NDP and IPv4 ARP proxy entries SYNOPSIS
/etc/sysconfig/network/ifndp-proxy /etc/sysconfig/network/ifndp-proxy-<interface name> DESCRIPTION
These files contain IPv6 NDP and IPv4 ARP proxy settings, that should be applied using the ip neigh add proxy command documented in the ip(8) manual page that provides a common interface for IPv4 and IPv6. The NDP/ARP proxy is required, e.g. when IP addresses from the same subnet have to be used on the interface of the host as well as on interfaces behind a (tunnel) interface and using a bridge is not an option. Don't forget to enable forwarding and the NDP/ARP proxy by setting net.ipv6.conf.<all|default|interface name>.proxy_ndp = 1 net.ipv6.conf.<all|default|interface name>.forwarding = 1 and/or net.ipv4.conf.<all|default|interface name>.proxy_arp = 1 net.ipv4.conf.<all|default|interface name>.forwarding = 1 or net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1 either as global all setting in the /etc/sysctl.conf file or using the ifsysctl(5) files, that allow per-interface setup. Forwarding can be also enabled in the /etc/sysconfig/sysctl file using the IP_FORWARD and IPV6_FORWARD variables. The proxy entries are added and deleted using the if-{up|down}.d/ndp-proxy script, every time after an involved interface has been set up or down. SYNTAX
The format of the ifndp-proxy file is: <address> <address interface> <proxy interface list> The format of the ifndp-proxy-<address interface> file is same to above, but allows also to omit the address interface by using a "-" as placeholder inside of the file, because it is already available in the file name: <address> <address interface | -> <proxy interface list> Lines beginning with # and blank lines are ignored. Each line defines to add a proxy NDP/ARP entry with the address of or behind address interface to all interfaces in the proxy interface list. EXAMPLES
Let's assume, your machine is connected via eth0 to a switch with the networks 2001:db8:abba::/64 and 192.168.100.1/24 and is using the IP address 1 itself. You'd like to use the addresses 11 and 12 e.g. for virtual machines behind the tap1 and tap2 interface, that is: 2001:db8:abba::1/64 -- local eth0 address 2001:db8:abba::11/64 -- address behind tap1 2001:db8:abba::12/64 -- address behind tap2 192.168.100.1/24 -- local eth0 address 192.168.100.11/24 -- address behind tap1 192.168.100.12/24 -- address behind tap2 then set up the following entries in the ifndp-proxy file: 2001:db8:abba::1 eth0 tap1 tap2 2001:db8:abba::11 tap1 eth0 tap2 2001:db8:abba::12 tap2 eth0 tap1 192.168.100.1 eth0 tap1 tap2 192.168.100.11 tap1 eth0 tap2 192.168.100.12 tap2 eth0 tap1 additionally to the routing entries in the routes or ifroute-<interface name> files. BUGS
Please report bugs at <https://bugzilla.novell.com/> AUTHOR
Marius Tomaschewski <mt@suse.de> SEE ALSO
ifup(8) ifcfg(5) ifsysctl(8) sysconfig December 2009 IFNDP-PROXY(5)