Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Continue problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Continue problem Post 302656907 by Diabadass on Friday 15th of June 2012 03:01:30 PM
Old 06-15-2012
Thanks, Chubler. That works perfectly. I'm new to shell scripting (started grad school a year ago and have been teaching myself shell scripting to do brain image analysis). About your notes:

1) I got this script working so that it took the inputs in the Terminal window (you'd have to type in "Parallel 1 2 3 4 5..." into Terminal), but it only worked with the first shift command, for some reason. The second one was so that I didn't have thousands of "Waiting to open window" notices, but you solved that problem.

2) Yeah, that "done" was from a for loop I have embedded earlier in the script.

3) That makes perfect sense.

One thing I don't understand about your changes, though, is why [ $windows -ge $maxwindows ] is in there twice. Does the first one need to be there for the while loop to run?

Coming up with the script I had so far had been a great learning experience, but I learned more from understanding the changes you made than I have in weeks of reading message boards and guides. Thanks a million.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Continue an 'scp' tranfser?

I was in the middle of transferring a file over a slow link (768k) using 'scp'. The system on this end got rebooted by an overzealous co-worker... I've got 500+ megs of the file here and 725 megs to go. I'd really hate to start over. I fear that the answer to my question is that I will have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

continue example

The following code for search a pattern in file name (or entire file name) and look at its size, code is derived from an ebook about scripting. It is working in HP Unix but I am unable to run in Linux (Ubuntu) Please advise me what is wrong for Linux? And besides , how can I get rid of errors in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xramm
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk continue

I want to print entire row of file awk '{print $0}' inputfile but sometime before every row have space characters. Example: " HVLR is not in service on AP 54" How can i print entire row without space characters ? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anhtt
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no) need a way to pass in the value yes without

Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no) need a way to pass in the value yes without use the except command. I am creating a script to send down files to an application servers every time it reboots as it picks up the newest image. I do not want to manual connect to each server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 3junior
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restart and then continue script

How can I get a script to complete a update, varifiy completion, resboot, and continue with script? Is it possbile to get script to add itself to the "startup application" list #!/bin/bash clear sudo apt-get update #Verify/test the update completed #Reboot #Start/comtinue... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgangcs
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

call b.sh from a.sh, and continue to a.sh after use exit 0 from b.sh

Hi, I have two sh file. a.sh and b.sh b.sh is command and used by other sh's. I want to add below line to b.sh. When it is done with b.sh I want to continue to process a.sh. But when I use exit 0 in b.sh it is exit from b.sh and a.sh How can I make it to continue to process? a.sh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctuncer
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break vs Continue

Okay so I am having trouble understand what the computer will do with a code like this if ; then echo echo "Found the file" blah blah blah for i in `blah blah blah` ; do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shade917
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If else continue to check value until it it is right

i have script which get Input via READ value and compare it from file. when found do some stuff...if not found again ask for Input until you dont enter Right value. #!/bin/ksh echo "SID must be in oratab file" echo "Enter ORACLE_SID of Database:\c " read ORACLE_SID x=`cat /etc/oratab|... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tapia
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Continue the loop if the value is not found

Dear Help, Is it possible to continue the loop by going to the next available value, if the 'expected value' is not found. I have a list of values which might not get incremented by fixed value and hence the loop could break and the script could terminate. Any suggestion is appreciated. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case statement - continue

I have a case statement. IS "continue" working in case? for file in ls dir/* case $file in a) do something continue ;; b) do something continue ;; esac It is a Bourne shell (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
13 Replies
IDLE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   IDLE(1)

NAME
IDLE - An Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python SYNTAX
idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] [ file ...] idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] ( -c cmd | -r file ) [ arg ...] idle [ -dins ] [ -t title ] - [ arg ...] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the idle command. This manual page was written for Debian because the original program does not have a manual page. For more information, refer to IDLE's help menu. IDLE is an Integrated DeveLopment Environment for Python. IDLE is based on Tkinter, Python's bindings to the Tk widget set. Features are 100% pure Python, multi-windows with multiple undo and Python colorizing, a Python shell window subclass, a debugger. IDLE is cross-plat- form, i.e. it works on all platforms where Tk is installed. OPTIONS
-h Print this help message and exit. -n Run IDLE without a subprocess (see Help/IDLE Help for details). The following options will override the IDLE 'settings' configuration: -e Open an edit window. -i Open a shell window. The following options imply -i and will open a shell: -c cmd Run the command in a shell, or -r file Run script from file. -d Enable the debugger. -s Run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP before anything else. -t title Set title of shell window. A default edit window will be bypassed when -c, -r, or - are used. [arg]* and [file]* are passed to the command (-c) or script (-r) in sys.argv[1:]. EXAMPLES
idle Open an edit window or shell depending on IDLE's configuration. idle foo.py foobar.py Edit the files, also open a shell if configured to start with shell. idle -est "Baz" foo.py Run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP, edit foo.py, and open a shell window with the title "Baz". idle -c "import sys; print sys.argv" "foo" Open a shell window and run the command, passing "-c" in sys.argv[0] and "foo" in sys.argv[1]. idle -d -s -r foo.py "Hello World" Open a shell window, run a startup script, enable the debugger, and run foo.py, passing "foo.py" in sys.argv[0] and "Hello World" in sys.argv[1]. echo "import sys; print sys.argv" | idle - "foobar" Open a shell window, run the script piped in, passing '' in sys.argv[0] and "foobar" in sys.argv[1]. SEE ALSO
python(1). AUTHORS
Various. 21 September 2004 IDLE(1)