Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Matching user alias's to their ID's in the passwd file Post 302656825 by methyl on Friday 15th of June 2012 12:45:12 PM
Old 06-15-2012
Another interpretation of post #1 . Look up each alias in /etc/passwd .

Code:
cat alias.lst | cut -f2 -d= | tr ',' '\n' | sort | uniq | while read username
do
        echo "Checking username: ${username}"
        grep \^${username}: /etc/passwd
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User should not be allowed to change passwd

Hi Group, Can anyone assist me with this? I am on AIX 5.2 ML06. I create the user and assign a passwd. But I do not want the user to change the passwd at all. I like him/her to use the passwd that I have set for him/her. Any ideas would be highly appreciated!!! Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brookingsd
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for specific user ID's from the passwd file

Hello, My issue is that I want to look for specific users that have their first and last initial followed by four numbers. For example: ab1234 I've already got the user ID's out of the passwd file more passwd | awk -F ":" '{print $1}' > userids I just need to know how to just pick... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How the /etc/passwd file is written when user does not have permission

Hi, /etc/passwd file has write permission only for the root user. Now when a normal user changes the its own password using passwd command, how this information has been written to the /etc/passwd file when the user is not having write permission to this file. ~santosh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh149
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Script to search user id in /etc/passwd

Hey all, i have to write a script in Unix that would help me in my department to search certain user ids valid in /etc/passwd file.. here goes the exact question & data to help analyze: Amend a script to tell the user to enter a user id to be searched for in the /etc/passwd file. If there are no... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ally_d
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining if user is local-user in /etc/passwd or LDAP user

Besides doing some shell-script which loops through /etc/passwd, I was wondering if there was some command that would tell me, like an enhanced version of getent. The Operating system is Solaris 10 (recent-ish revision) using Sun DS for LDAP. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

6. Programming

C++ - Problem in asking and checking user's passwd

This is the source code: #include <pwd.h> #include <iostream> #include <string.h> using namespace std; int main() { struct passwd *user; char login="alex", password="qwertyuiop"; if ((user= getpwnam(login)) == NULL) cout << "No such user\n"; else if... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
24 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching user input to a text file loop?

until do read -p "Invalid cars. Try againa" cars1 done Ok i have the above code, im getting users input and if it doesnt match in the file the user has to try again untill its correct But when i run this it gives me an error saying ./Cars.bash: line 43: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gangsta
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User info not present in passwd file

I have logged into a box with some userid,but in this box der is no entry for this userid in /etc/passwd file.this box is used by multiple users but none of them have their enteries in passwd file but for each user there is a directory in /home like for user1 /home/user1 for user2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passwd file define user with special character

Hi all , The FTP user defind in my passwd file has ! in the hash password field and i want to know way is that its usually either MD5(Unix) hash or * can anyone explain to me i'm new for unix and want to learn this how my passwd file looks : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dahash11
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using alias after issuing 'su - user'

Hi, Using ksh, I have set up aliases (which work fine) in my user's .profile like this: alias ll = 'ls -lrt' alias cls = 'clear' How do I call these same aliases so that they will work after issuing this: ? su - user I do not want to add aliases to the su shell's .profile or .kshrc. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocbit
7 Replies
Authen::Simple::Passwd(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Authen::Simple::Passwd(3pm)

NAME
Authen::Simple::Passwd - Simple Passwd authentication SYNOPSIS
use Authen::Simple::Passwd; my $passwd = Authen::Simple::Passwd->new( path => '/etc/passwd' ); if ( $passwd->authenticate( $username, $password ) ) { # successfull authentication } # or as a mod_perl Authen handler PerlModule Authen::Simple::Apache PerlModule Authen::Simple::Passwd PerlSetVar AuthenSimplePasswd_path "/etc/passwd" <Location /protected> PerlAuthenHandler Authen::Simple::Passwd AuthType Basic AuthName "Protected Area" Require valid-user </Location> DESCRIPTION
Authenticate against a passwd file. METHODS
* new This method takes a hash of parameters. The following options are valid: * path Path to passwd file to authenticate against. Any standard passwd file that has records seperated with newline and fields seper- ated by ":" is supported. First field is expected to be username and second field, plain or encrypted password. Required. path => '/etc/passwd' path => '/var/www/.htpasswd' * flock A boolean to enable or disable the usage of "flock()". Defaults to "d_flock" in Config. flock => 0 * log Any object that supports "debug", "info", "error" and "warn". log => Log::Log4perl->get_logger('Authen::Simple::Passwd') * authenticate( $username, $password ) Returns true on success and false on failure. Authentication attempts with a username that begins with a hyphen "-" will always return false. SEE ALSO
Authen::Simple. Authen::Simple::Password. passwd(5). AUTHOR
Christian Hansen "ch@ngmedia.com" COPYRIGHT
This program is free software, you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.8.8 2008-03-01 Authen::Simple::Passwd(3pm)