Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: issue with grep -B option
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting issue with grep -B option Post 302656665 by elixir_sinari on Friday 15th of June 2012 07:47:32 AM
Old 06-15-2012
I assume that you meant "variable" instead of "file".

In that case, try

Code:
word="as"
awk "/^$word$/{print p}{p=\$0}" file

This User Gave Thanks to elixir_sinari For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grep -- option?

Does anyone know what the double dashes in the following grep line mean? grep -c -- "->" The intent of the line is to have a long listing of a directory piped to it, and for it to count off the symbolic links based on the "->" characters. I'm not sure why the scripter decided to search for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dmwatan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grep using -f option

Dear all I have a file with more than one patters to search.Such as pattern.txt. I have to grep these patterns into a data file such as data.txt.how to do this ,i tried /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -f <pattern_file> <data_file> Its not working. why or how to search pattern file ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkbharani
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep -m option

I am new to unix environment, can somebody help me with the grep options like -m. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_kesarwani
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep -v '#' option

Hi, I've the following code in my program. grep 'FILE_PREFIX' /cblconfig |grep -v '#' > $fpfx-filename I'm not sure what second grep does. Can someone explain this command? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ani12345
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Grep -A -B -C option

Hi, Does anyone know why -A/B/C is not working with grep on my solaris box? Thanks, Prince (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_prince
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Grep Option

Hi, I was wondering, if there is any option with Grep, so that i can have couple of lines appearing before and after the search line within a result ? Thanks in Advance. Rgds - Prince. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_prince
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with cut option??

This is my command-line code in my script, passwd=`grep $passwd $userfile | cut -f2 -d: login_users > retrieve` the cut -f2 -d: login_users > retrieve searches and prints the whole column two. what I need is one of the items in the column two only.. what option can I add to my cut... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jenimesh19
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use the -B option with grep

I am trying to parse out a file using grep - I would like to use the -B option so that the grep command prints the previous 2 lines if/when my string is matched - listed below are two examples - one with the info I want printed to a new file and one with info I want ignored. Any help with the grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjdamon
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep -C option not available

grep -C option is not availbale and i am using korn shell. Even -C option in man grep is not showing.. Input file : test.txt 111 333 444 555 aaa bbbb Command : grep -C1 555 test.txt Required output: 444 555 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: NareshN
8 Replies

10. Programming

DB2 - Performance Issue using MERGE option

Dear Team, I am using DB2 v10.5 and trying to load huge data using MERGE option ( 10-12 Million) using below query. Basically it loads data from staging to target . Staging table schemaname.Customer_Staging has 12 Million records . Runs for 25 Mins for just select query. But while doing merge... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
2 Replies
mm(1)							      General Commands Manual							     mm(1)

NAME
mm, osdd - print documents formatted with the mm macros SYNOPSIS
[options] [files] [options] [files] DESCRIPTION
can be used to format and print documents using and the text-formatting macro package (see nroff(1)). It has options to specify prepro- cessing by and/or (see tbl(1) and neqn(1)), and postprocessing by various terminal-oriented output filters. The proper pipelines and the required arguments and flags for and are generated, depending on the options selected. is equivalent to the command Options recognizes the following options and command-line arguments. Any other arguments or options (such as are passed to or to as appropriate. Such options can occur in any order, but they must appear before the files arguments. If no arguments are given, prints a list of its options. Specifies the type of output terminal; for a list of recognized values for term, type If this option is used, uses the value of the shell variable from the envi- ronment (see profile(4) and environ(5)) as the value of term if is set; otherwise, uses as the value of term. If several terminal types are specified, the last one is used. Indicates that the document is to be produced in 12-pitch. Can be used when is set to one of and (The pitch switch on the DASI 300 and 300s terminals must be manually set to if this option is used.) Causes to invoke col(1); note that col(1) is invoked automatically by unless term is one of and Causes to invoke Causes to invoke Invokes the option of DIAGNOSTICS
sends the message if none of the arguments is a readable file and is not used as a filter. EXAMPLES
Assuming that the shell variable is set in the environment to the two command lines below are equivalent: reads the standard input when is specified instead of any file names (mentioning other files along with leads to disaster). This option allows to be used as a filter, as in this example: Hints o invokes with the option. With this option, assumes that the terminal has tabs set every 8 character positions. o Use the option of to specify ranges of pages to be output. Note, however, that if invoked with one or more of the and options, together with the option of may cause a harmless ``broken pipe'' diagnostic if the last page of the document is not specified in list. o If you use the option of (to stop between pages of output), use line-feed (rather than return or new-line) to restart the output. The option of does not work with the option of or if automatically invokes (see option above and col(1)). o If you specify an incorrect output terminal type, produces (often subtle) unpredictable results. However, if you are redirecting output into a file, use the option, then use the appropriate terminal filter when actually printing the formatted file. SEE ALSO
col(1), env(1), nroff(1), tbl(1), profile(4), term(4), mm(5). mm(1)