Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? How Would You Like Your Loops Served Today? Post 302656433 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 14th of June 2012 04:49:36 PM
Old 06-14-2012
I did execute all tests various times in different order, on two different platforms it produced no significant difference (per platform). There was a dramatic difference with the repeated plain cat to /dev/null test due to caching which I had also performed of course in prior to these tests (to check its effect), but this thread was not about that. It was about two different methods of feeding into a while read loop, which is what I tested and these results are reproducible.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 06-14-2012 at 06:02 PM..

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

to serve or be served??

I have two machines on my network - one OSX mac and one linux box. The mac is my main workhorse, and the linux box does occasional chores and webserving. Currently the mac shares (via NFS) files with the Liinux box. Would it be less demanding on the mac if I made it a client, and moved my files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mistafeesh
2 Replies

2. Web Development

Symbol Links amongst Apache's served files, is this a security-don't?

I read somewhere that you should make sure Apache is configured to not allow symbolic links to be followed outside the webroot, as this can compromise security. I can imagine how this could lead to a security risk: eg: Is my assumption correct? -- Is it nothing more than: "its just... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jzacsh
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

meaning of today=${1:-${today}}

what does today=${1:-${today}} mean??? I saw a script which has these two lines: today=`date '+%y%m%d'` today=${1:-${today}} but both gives the same value for $today user:/export/home/user>today=`date '+%y%m%d'` user:/export/home/user>echo $today 120326... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vidhyaprakash
2 Replies

4. AIX

VIOS backupios -mksysb - does it need to be served by a NIM server ?

working through VIOS backup options. Generally, we store mksysb's on a server and then NFS mount them from it to copy to a VIO optical library, etc. In the case of a VIO backup, I see the -mksysb option to backupios and understand that it doesn't include the NIM resources in the backup. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maraixadm
3 Replies
SHUNIT2(1)																SHUNIT2(1)

NAME
shunit2 - A unit test framework for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
shunit2 unitfile DESCRIPTION
shUnit2 is a xUnit unit test framework for Bourne based shell scripts, and it is designed to work in a similar manner to JUnit, PyUnit, etc.. If you have ever had the desire to write a unit test for a shell script, shUnit2 can do the job. You can either run shunit2 directly from the commandline and specify the unit file or directly source the shunit2 executable. If you directly execute shunit2 and don't specify a unitfile shunit2 assumes a empty testfile and will return without an error message. EXAMPLE
Simple script to test if 1 equals 1 #! /bin/sh testEquality() { assertEquals 1 1 } # load shunit2 . shunit2 Execute shUnit2 unit tests directly from the commandline shunit2 /path/to/unit/file OPTIONS
shunit2 does not support any commandline options at all. You can either source shunit2 to execute your unit tests or directly run shunit2 as a commandline script. SEE ALSO
For more information see http://code.google.com/p/shunit2/ or have a look at the installed documentation in /usr/share/doc/shunit2/ AUTHOR
shunit2 was written by Kate Ward <kate.ward@forestent.com>. This manpage was written by Ulrich Dangel <mru@spamt.net>. 2.1.6 03/25/2012 SHUNIT2(1)