Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity basic shellcode - why it runs on my system, if .data is not executable Post 302656345 by Corona688 on Thursday 14th of June 2012 02:12:27 PM
Old 06-14-2012
The CPU type being compiled for may have an effect here.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic menu system

Hi Could anyone please tell me how to create a basic menu system that enables a user to select and run a script from a list of choices? I was thinking along the lines of "push 1 to start script 1", "push 2 to start script 2" etc If anyone could help that would be great, thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: straight_edge
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Submit A Basic System Administration Command

Come and create a new thread to post a basic system administration command to share with all .. :) #df -h -- to list down mounted filesystem with the capacity #uname -a -- to provide brief system information (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: osca7578
7 Replies

3. Solaris

basic hardware & system requirements for solaris 10

hi all, i want to setup a solaris10 lab for 50 trainees. kindly let me know all the basic hardware & system requirements for the lab . with regards, Raj (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajp_8007
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is this a permission issue I got this shl that runs okay in one data base but not in another DB

Is this a permission issue I got this shl that runs okay in one data base but not in another DB in UNIX i changed the real names for xxx for this post !/bin/ksh set -x ##SID="$1"; ##SIDQ="@${SID}"; ##ORACLE_SID="@${SID}"; # set database name SID=$ORACLE_SID; LOWER_SID=`echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rechever
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic System Info Template

If your boss ask you to create a template for all UNIX systems. Max 10 questions of the system. What would you put down? The system can be any UNIX flavor. Some examples: 1. system name 2. OS 3. ETC What would be for you the most important and relevants. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 300zxmuro
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic data validation

hpux. older version. don't have alot of the newer features in some utilities. How do I verify that a variable starts with the letter A. I would like to make it case insensitive. Also, if I have a variable that has letters and numbers. I want to change all the lower case letters to upper case.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inputs required in decoding file on AIX- executable (RISC System/6000) or object module not stripped

Hi, We are in the process of migrating from AIX to Linux. There is a script of type "executable (RISC System/6000) or object module not stripped" on AIX and we are unable to read the contents of it. Is there a way to read the contents of the file on AIX, so that we can rewrite the code in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesh17
3 Replies
less(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						 less(3pm)

NAME
less - perl pragma to request less of something SYNOPSIS
use less 'CPU'; DESCRIPTION
This is a user-pragma. If you're very lucky some code you're using will know that you asked for less CPU usage or ram or fat or... we just can't know. Consult your documentation on everything you're currently using. For general suggestions, try requesting "CPU" or "memory". use less 'memory'; use less 'CPU'; use less 'fat'; If you ask for nothing in particular, you'll be asking for "less 'please'". use less 'please'; FOR MODULE AUTHORS
less has been in the core as a "joke" module for ages now and it hasn't had any real way to communicating any information to anything. Thanks to Nicholas Clark we have user pragmas (see perlpragma) and now "less" can do something. You can probably expect your users to be able to guess that they can request less CPU or memory or just "less" overall. If the user didn't specify anything, it's interpreted as having used the "please" tag. It's up to you to make this useful. # equivalent use less; use less 'please'; "BOOLEAN = less->of( FEATURE )" The class method "less->of( NAME )" returns a boolean to tell you whether your user requested less of something. if ( less->of( 'CPU' ) ) { ... } elsif ( less->of( 'memory' ) ) { } "FEATURES = less->of()" If you don't ask for any feature, you get the list of features that the user requested you to be nice to. This has the nice side effect that if you don't respect anything in particular then you can just ask for it and use it like a boolean. if ( less->of ) { ... } else { ... } CAVEATS
This probably does nothing. This works only on 5.10+ At least it's backwards compatible in not doing much. perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 less(3pm)