Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? How Would You Like Your Loops Served Today? Post 302656293 by methyl on Thursday 14th of June 2012 12:05:46 PM
Old 06-14-2012
I much prefer top-down flow in any programming language and adopt the modular approach with the main program logic as the simplest control flow possible.

Each time this debate comes up there is no proof that the Shell inward redirect is faster than using cat. I can't see why the Posix folks don't make cat a Shell built-in rather than try to retire the command.

Have you read the "Useful uses of cat" collection from the excellent Mascheck site:
Useful use of cat(1)
That list includes a contribution from a certain Chris F.A. Johnson !
An enhanced version of the "convert file contents into arguments" contribution came up on unix.com yesterday.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

to serve or be served??

I have two machines on my network - one OSX mac and one linux box. The mac is my main workhorse, and the linux box does occasional chores and webserving. Currently the mac shares (via NFS) files with the Liinux box. Would it be less demanding on the mac if I made it a client, and moved my files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mistafeesh
2 Replies

2. Web Development

Symbol Links amongst Apache's served files, is this a security-don't?

I read somewhere that you should make sure Apache is configured to not allow symbolic links to be followed outside the webroot, as this can compromise security. I can imagine how this could lead to a security risk: eg: Is my assumption correct? -- Is it nothing more than: "its just... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jzacsh
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

meaning of today=${1:-${today}}

what does today=${1:-${today}} mean??? I saw a script which has these two lines: today=`date '+%y%m%d'` today=${1:-${today}} but both gives the same value for $today user:/export/home/user>today=`date '+%y%m%d'` user:/export/home/user>echo $today 120326... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vidhyaprakash
2 Replies

4. AIX

VIOS backupios -mksysb - does it need to be served by a NIM server ?

working through VIOS backup options. Generally, we store mksysb's on a server and then NFS mount them from it to copy to a VIO optical library, etc. In the case of a VIO backup, I see the -mksysb option to backupios and understand that it doesn't include the NIM resources in the backup. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maraixadm
3 Replies
gnomevfs-cat(1)                                                    User Commands                                                   gnomevfs-cat(1)

NAME
gnomevfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gnomevfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gnomevfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gnomevfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gnomevfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnomevfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnomevfs-copy(1), gnomevfs-info(1), gnomevfs-ls(1), gnomevfs-mkdir(1) NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 6 Sep 2004 gnomevfs-cat(1)