Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Windows XP keeps getting virus Post 302656269 by Corona688 on Thursday 14th of June 2012 11:36:06 AM
Old 06-14-2012
Are you running as administrator all the time? There's only so much an antivirus can do when you leave the door wide open. Run as a limited user and many spyware and viruses will be simply unable to install themselves on your computer. Some might get in, but they will only affect the single account.

Keeping separate accounts is also a good idea for this reason. Something which affects one limited account won't affect the other.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

do i have a virus???

nice board, makes interesting reading! glad to know im not the only one to have problems!! :D :D last week, our database started to crash (run on unix / solaris) for no apparant reason. the problem seems to be intermiant which lead us to believe it may be a hardware problem causing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdma
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

virus????????

i tought you can;t get virus in unix ? i have some admins buddys that work in bsd all he time and they sayed you can;t get viurs in unix is that true? download.com is putting virux updates out for mac OS X ................ (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicrawler
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virus !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can linux get a virus on the boot sec from windows? becuse my buddys computer micro trend cmos virus keeps telling him that there is a boot sec virus on my hdd is that possable or is the box being dumb and looking at the linux boot as a virus? it was set up as a windows box not a linux... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicrawler2000
4 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Help Virus Attack Windows Oracle Patches.

Hi, Our Network is attacked by Virus. We are currently looking for all Oracle Database/Product (all possible versions) based patches. Kindly let us know from where can we get them. This is a very urgent requirement. With Thanks Vishwa. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
3 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

virus help:

:confused: folder option is dissapiaring in tool menu iam formatting c drive after removal of this virus & also regedit is also not opening the messerge say's administrater disabled with out formattiung how ican solve this problem i.e iwant to get folder options& regedit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seshumohan
2 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

What is Your Favorite Anti-Virus Software for Windows at Home?

I used to have trendmicro I used it for free when I worked with a previous company, when I left I had to uninstall it and switched to using Zone Alarm. I tell you on some days I really want to pull my hair out when my PC really works like a snail and sometimes really so unresponsive for up to... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
20 Replies
dsenableroot(8) 					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					   dsenableroot(8)

NAME
dsenableroot -- enables or disables the root account. SYNOPSIS
dsenableroot [-d] [-u username] [-p password] [-r rootPassword] DESCRIPTION
dsenableroot sets the password for the root account if enabling the root user account. Otherwise, if disable [-d] is chosen, the root account passwords are removed and the root user is disabled. A list of flags and their descriptions: -u username Username of a user that has administrative privileges on this computer. -p password Password to use in conjunction with the specified username. If this is not specified, you will be prompted for entry. -r rootPassword Password to be used for the root account. If this is not specified for enabling, you will be prompted for entry. EXAMPLES
-dsenableroot Your username will be used and you will be queried for both your password and the new root password to be set to enable the root account. -dsenableroot -d Your username will be used and you will be queried for only your password to disable the root account. -dsenableroot -u username -p userpassword -r rootpassword The supplied arguments will be used to enable the root account. -dsenableroot -d -u username -p userpassword The supplied arguments will be used to disable the root account. Mac OS August 08 2003 Mac OS