Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem in Concatination of string in bash scripts containing back slashes. Post 302656093 by dchoudhury on Thursday 14th of June 2012 08:37:53 AM
Old 06-14-2012
Problem in Concatination of string in bash scripts containing back slashes.

My script is as follows:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
STR1="test"
echo $STR1
STR2="/bldtmp/"$STR1
echo $STR2
STR3=$STR2'/tmp'
echo $STR3

output i am geting
----------------
Code:
test
/bldtmp/test
/tmptmp/test

but my need is:
------------------
Code:
test
/bldtmp/test
/bldtmp/test/tmp

please help me in this?

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 06-14-2012 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

slashes in a bash shell

Substituting the / for the \ I came up with this: sed s/\\\\usr\\\\qm/\\\\\\\\qmi/g Can anyone explain to me please, why I have to pass the slash four times? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shakey21
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command for using with back slashes

hi all, im trying to use a sed command to remove all occurenes of \p\g what i used so far is : sed 's!\p\g!!g' file but this doesnt work ? Any ideas, thanks for helping. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seaten
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing scripts in back ground

Hi, Test1.ksh #! /bin/ksh for i in $* do #echo "$i" ksh test2.ksh $i & done test2.ksh #! /bin/ksh sleep 5s echo "From Test 1 ==> $1" exit 0; I am executing as follows: ksh test1.ksh a b c (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using concatination for commands

I would like to know a way that we can exec.......some thing like this from the prompt for EG when we type ftp then we could got ftp> prompt and all the ftp related commands would execute instead i need to use the ftp commands like get put from the normal user prompt it self somethinmg like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingnagan
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Back up scripts

Hi Everyone, I would like to write a Back-up script for huge files and 3 day old file. I think i need to use Tar command for it. But I am not sure how this can be done. Can someone please assist me on this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
4 Replies

6. AIX

Help with back ground scripts...

I have a user that runs a menu driven application, is there a way to see what scripts this application is executing in the back ground? OS=AIX 4.3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mangolinux
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the Bash Scripts to Bourne Scripts:URGENT

Hi, I have to write a program to compute the checksums of files ./script.sh I wrote the program using bash and it took me forever since I am a beginner but it works very well. I'm getting so close to the deadline and I realised today that actually I have to use normal Bourne shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgarg1989
3 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Date comparison with 'string date having slashes and time zone' in Bash only

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have standard web server log file. It contains different columns (like IP address, request result code, request type etc) including a date column with the format . I have developed a log analysis command line utility that displays... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TariqYousaf
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Requesting full back up scripts

hi guys linux noob here wanting to learn linux scripting, i need help with a backup script that not only allows me to back up my files but restore them to my own personal directory, had a look at some of the coding from the scripts section on this site but still lost. any help is much appreciated (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: burnie35
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell script: Str(007) to int(7),increment it(8) & convert back to string(008)

Hi, I have the following requirement. There will be following text/line in a file (eg: search-build.txt) PRODUCT_VERSION="V:01.002.007.Build1234" I need to update the incremental build number (eg here 007) every time I give a build through script. I am able to search the string and get... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drwatson_droid
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)