Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string Post 302655985 by vivek d r on Thursday 14th of June 2012 05:47:17 AM
Old 06-14-2012
sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb

Code:

cat dump.sql

INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10 13:00:00'),(2,'dsfsd','2000-04-06 00:00:00','Updated','2011-02-10 13:00:00'),(3,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10 13:00:00')
INSERT INTO `table2` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `lastModified`, `dynamics`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','2012-02-10 13:00:00',null),(2,'dsfsd','2000-04-06 00:00:00','2011-02-10 13:00:00',null),(3,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','2012-02-10 13:00:00',123)

.many tables

the above are just sample data... here some table lastModified field can be at end or somewhere in between.... what i want to achieve is replace all corresponding lastModifed parameter with '0000-0000 00:00:00' instead of exisiting values. i can make this by directly updating it in database but i want to modify it directly it in this dump file rather than updating it in database first and then taking the dump. so is this feasible..? the logic should happen like this it should compare from one "INSERT INTO" to next INSERT INTO and between this from find the position of last modified and replace it with 000's.. but a table can have many timestamp parameter. but the command or script should modify only the corresponding lastModified column. any help would be appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the position of a string and replace with another string

Hi, I have a file named "Test_2008_01_21" The file contains a string "manual" that occurs many times in the file How can i find the positions of the string "manual" in the file Ex: if the string " manual " occurs three times in the file. i want to replace the second occurance of string... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bab123
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string and replace the searched string in the same position

Hi All, My requisite is to search for the string "0108"(which is the year and has come in the wrong year format) in a particular column say 4th column in a tab delimited file and then replace it with 2008(the correct year format) in the same position where 0108 was found..The issue is the last... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh_248
15 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string and replace the searched string in the same position in samefile

Hi All, My requisite is to search for the string "0108"(which is the year and has come in the wrong year format) in a particular column say 4th column in a tab delimited file and then replace it with 2008(the correct year format) in the same position where 0108 was found in the same file..The... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh_248
27 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search a string in the file and then replace another string after that position

Hi I am looking for a particular string in a file.If the string exists, then I want to replace another string with some other text.Once replaced, search for the same text after that character position in the file. :wall: E.g: Actual File content: Hello Name: Nitin Raj Welcome to Unix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in a specific position

I asked this before, but my problem got more complicated. Heres what I am trying to do: I'm trying to replace a string at a certain location with another string. Heres the file I'm trying to change: \E I want to replace the escape code at the 3rd line, 2nd column with this escape code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinman47
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string at a particular position and replace with blank based on position

Hi, I have a file with multiple lines(fixed width dat file). I want to search for '02' in the positions 45-46 and if available, in that lines, I need to replace value in position 359 with blank. As I am new to unix, I am not able to figure out how to do this. Can you please help me to achieve... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in XML file with awk/sed with string from another

Sorry for the long/weird title but I'm stuck on a problem I have. I have this XML file: </member> <member> <name>TransactionID</name> <value><string>123456789123456</string></value> </member> <member> <name>Number</name> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cozzin
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies
INSERT(7)							   SQL Commands 							 INSERT(7)

NAME
INSERT - create new rows in a table SYNOPSIS
INSERT INTO table [ ( column [, ...] ) ] { DEFAULT VALUES | VALUES ( { expression | DEFAULT } [, ...] ) [, ...] | query } [ RETURNING * | output_expression [ [ AS ] output_name ] [, ...] ] DESCRIPTION
INSERT inserts new rows into a table. One can insert one or more rows specified by value expressions, or zero or more rows resulting from a query. The target column names can be listed in any order. If no list of column names is given at all, the default is all the columns of the table in their declared order; or the first N column names, if there are only N columns supplied by the VALUES clause or query. The values sup- plied by the VALUES clause or query are associated with the explicit or implicit column list left-to-right. Each column not present in the explicit or implicit column list will be filled with a default value, either its declared default value or null if there is none. If the expression for any column is not of the correct data type, automatic type conversion will be attempted. The optional RETURNING clause causes INSERT to compute and return value(s) based on each row actually inserted. This is primarily useful for obtaining values that were supplied by defaults, such as a serial sequence number. However, any expression using the table's columns is allowed. The syntax of the RETURNING list is identical to that of the output list of SELECT. You must have INSERT privilege on a table in order to insert into it. If a column list is specified, you only need INSERT privilege on the listed columns. Use of the RETURNING clause requires SELECT privilege on all columns mentioned in RETURNING. If you use the query clause to insert rows from a query, you of course need to have SELECT privilege on any table or column used in the query. PARAMETERS
table The name (optionally schema-qualified) of an existing table. column The name of a column in table. The column name can be qualified with a subfield name or array subscript, if needed. (Inserting into only some fields of a composite column leaves the other fields null.) DEFAULT VALUES All columns will be filled with their default values. expression An expression or value to assign to the corresponding column. DEFAULT The corresponding column will be filled with its default value. query A query (SELECT statement) that supplies the rows to be inserted. Refer to the SELECT [select(7)] statement for a description of the syntax. output_expression An expression to be computed and returned by the INSERT command after each row is inserted. The expression can use any column names of the table. Write * to return all columns of the inserted row(s). output_name A name to use for a returned column. OUTPUTS
On successful completion, an INSERT command returns a command tag of the form INSERT oid count The count is the number of rows inserted. If count is exactly one, and the target table has OIDs, then oid is the OID assigned to the inserted row. Otherwise oid is zero. If the INSERT command contains a RETURNING clause, the result will be similar to that of a SELECT statement containing the columns and val- ues defined in the RETURNING list, computed over the row(s) inserted by the command. EXAMPLES
Insert a single row into table films: INSERT INTO films VALUES ('UA502', 'Bananas', 105, '1971-07-13', 'Comedy', '82 minutes'); In this example, the len column is omitted and therefore it will have the default value: INSERT INTO films (code, title, did, date_prod, kind) VALUES ('T_601', 'Yojimbo', 106, '1961-06-16', 'Drama'); This example uses the DEFAULT clause for the date columns rather than specifying a value: INSERT INTO films VALUES ('UA502', 'Bananas', 105, DEFAULT, 'Comedy', '82 minutes'); INSERT INTO films (code, title, did, date_prod, kind) VALUES ('T_601', 'Yojimbo', 106, DEFAULT, 'Drama'); To insert a row consisting entirely of default values: INSERT INTO films DEFAULT VALUES; To insert multiple rows using the multirow VALUES syntax: INSERT INTO films (code, title, did, date_prod, kind) VALUES ('B6717', 'Tampopo', 110, '1985-02-10', 'Comedy'), ('HG120', 'The Dinner Game', 140, DEFAULT, 'Comedy'); This example inserts some rows into table films from a table tmp_films with the same column layout as films: INSERT INTO films SELECT * FROM tmp_films WHERE date_prod < '2004-05-07'; This example inserts into array columns: -- Create an empty 3x3 gameboard for noughts-and-crosses INSERT INTO tictactoe (game, board[1:3][1:3]) VALUES (1, '{{" "," "," "},{" "," "," "},{" "," "," "}}'); -- The subscripts in the above example aren't really needed INSERT INTO tictactoe (game, board) VALUES (2, '{{X," "," "},{" ",O," "},{" ",X," "}}'); Insert a single row into table distributors, returning the sequence number generated by the DEFAULT clause: INSERT INTO distributors (did, dname) VALUES (DEFAULT, 'XYZ Widgets') RETURNING did; COMPATIBILITY
INSERT conforms to the SQL standard, except that the RETURNING clause is a PostgreSQL extension. Also, the case in which a column name list is omitted, but not all the columns are filled from the VALUES clause or query, is disallowed by the standard. Possible limitations of the query clause are documented under SELECT [select(7)]. SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 INSERT(7)