Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Parsing records in file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parsing records in file Post 302655623 by SkySmart on Wednesday 13th of June 2012 11:56:08 AM
Old 06-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
Please post sample data for a single digit day.

the date format is exactly the same as that of the unix messages file.

meaning:

Code:
Jun  8 13:02:04
Jun 10 14:05:98

notice the two spaces in the single digit date

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing out records from one huge record

Hi, I have one huge record and know that each record in the file is 550 bytes long. How do I parse out individual records from the single huge record. Thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwrynz1
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Parsing records from one record

Hi, I got a file which is one huge record. I know each record should be 550 bytes long. How do I parse out the records from the one huge record. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bwrynz1
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use records from one file to delete records in another file

file_in_1: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 file_in_2: 9 10 11 12 21 22 23 24 1 2 3 4 17 18 19 20 file_out: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenneth.mcbride
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing of file for Report Generation (String parsing and splitting)

Hey guys, I have this file generated by me... i want to create some HTML output from it. The problem is that i am really confused about how do I go about reading the file. The file is in the following format: TID1 Name1 ATime=xx AResult=yyy AExpected=yyy BTime=xx BResult=yyy... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: umar.shaikh
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing record into multiple records in Shell Script

Hi, I am trying to parse a very long record in a text file into multiple records by checking ADD, DELETE, or MODIFY field value in a shell script. Input # File name xyz.txt ADD|N000|8015662|DELETE|N001|9915662|MODIFY|N999|85678 Output ADD|N000|8015662| DELETE|N001|9915662|... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveed
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a very specific awk command for parsing records

I have data in a file where the first line of the file identifies the fields. I need to be able to parse out any single record, field-by-field, with the fields identified. So if my file looks like this: NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE Jim Smith, 123 Main Street, 999-888-7777 Bob Jones, 555 Park Avenue,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Finja
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting duplicate records from file 1 if records from file 2 match

I have 2 files "File 1" is delimited by ";" and "File 2" is delimited by "|". File 1 below (3 record shown): Doc1;03/01/2012;New York;6 Main Street;Mr. Smith 1;Mr. Jones Doc2;03/01/2012;Syracuse;876 Broadway;John Davis;Barbara Lull Doc3;03/01/2012;Buffalo;779 Old Windy Road;Charles... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate records of a file on 2 types of records

Hi I am new to shell programming in unix Please if I can provide help. I have a file structure of a header record and "N" detail records. The header record will be the total number of detail records I need to split the file in 2: One for the header Another for all detail records Could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcogar
1 Replies
sttime(3)						    ShapeTools Toolkit Library							 sttime(3)

NAME
stMktime, stWriteTime - date and time handling SYNOPSIS
#include <config.h> #include <sttk.h.h> time_tstMktime (char *string); char*stWriteTime (time_t date); DESCRIPTION
stMktime scans the given string and tries to read a date and time from it. It understands various formats of date strings. The following is a list of all valid formats, optional parts in brackets. [Tue] Jan 5[,] [19]93 This includes the standard asctime(3) format. Jan 5 With no year given, the year defaults to the current year. [19]93/01/05 This notation requires month and day represented by exactly two digits. 5.1.[19]93 This is the usual German notation. 5.1. German notation referencing the current year. A certain time, given together with the date must always have the following form. hours:minutes[:seconds] Each of the fields must be an integer value within the proper range (hours: 0-23, minutes and seconds: 0-59). Values below 10 may be written as one digit numbers. The time value may be placed anywhere in the date string: at the beginning, at the end, or somewhere in the middle. Any amount of white- space may be given between a field of the time value and the separating colon. The time is always considered to be local time. stWriteTime generates a time string similar to asctime(3) from its date argument. SEE ALSO
asctime(3) BUGS
Time Zone Names within the time string (like `MET') are not handled properly. In most cases they will cause a failure. sttk-1.7 Thu Jun 24 17:43:35 1993 sttime(3)