Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Application running too slow on Sun SPARC T5440 but run normal on sun M3000 Post 302655327 by hergp on Wednesday 13th of June 2012 04:48:46 AM
Old 06-13-2012
Niagara CPUs are best suited for massive parallel loads, like webservers. Your machine can run 256 threads in parallel, giving each thread 1/256th of the overall computing power. But the single thread power is quite low, especially on early Niagara type CPUs, like the T1 and T2.

It seems, your application is composed of a few single threaded programs where each programm runs on a single virtual CPU, leaving most of the computing power unused. Such applications are not very well suited for a Niagara CPU server.

Your application runs well on the M3000, because the SPARC64 CPUs are designed for only few threads with a lot of computing power per thread.

Sun's Rock CPU was supposed to close the gap between those two architectures, but was never brought to market. The new T4 CPU seems to come close to this goal.
This User Gave Thanks to hergp For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Difference between sun sparc 32-bit and sun sparc 64-bit

Hi , could you please clarify me the difference between sun sparc 32-bit and sun sparc 64-bit? means on which processors these are supporting (pentium processors, sun sparc processors) Regards, Rajesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pmrajesh21
1 Replies

2. High Performance Computing

Normal (not crossover) cable for Sun cluster interconnect..

Hi grus, has anybody tried for Sun cluster interconnect normal cable ,, I mean not interconnect .. What do u think ..does it support this ? Not long ago I tried Veritas cluster and its interconnections work great with normal cable .. I wonder what will Sun cluster say to it :)) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samar
3 Replies

3. Solaris

SUN T5240 vs M3000

Hi, We are planning to buy new server for our data center. Sun T5240 or M3000 which one have better performance, we are going to create many dt sessions in this server. So, i need your suggestions. RJS (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajasekg
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Adding new hard drives on Sun SPARC T5440 server with Solaris 10

I need to add two new hard drives of 300 GB capacity to a SunSPARC T5440 server. The server currently has two hard drives of 146 GB each. How do I add the new drives to the existing UFS? What are the procedures involved in setting this server with the new hard drives? I am very new to Solaris... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramatnmcc
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Usb driver update on Sun T5440

I need a help to find the patch for solaris to fix USB drivers issue on Solaris 10. The server has a PCIE card which is not recognised by the OS. I run #fmadm faulty command which report issue and recommandation to apply the new patch. I got a reference to //sun.com/msg/PCIEX-8000-6D but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: espengongo
0 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

disk replacment, SUN M3000

we have a SUN M3000 server. setup as only 1 domain. disk c0t0d0 and c0t1d0 and setup as SVM mirrors. a few days ago disk T1 failed. new we have replaced the disk, but can's see the disk in format. have done cfgadm and devfsadm. still can't access the new disk in format. the output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: robsonde
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Start /SYS on SUN SPARC does not start machine [SUN SPARC ENTERPRISE T-5240]

-> start /SYS Are you sure you want to start /SYS (y/n)? y Starting /SYS ]-> show HOST /HOST Targets: bootmode diag domain Properties: autorestart = reset autorunonerror = false bootfailrecovery = poweroff ... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: z_haseeb
29 Replies
CHCPU(8)							   User Manuals 							  CHCPU(8)

NAME
chcpu - configure CPUs SYNOPSIS
chcpu [-e] [-d] [-c] [-g] cpu-list chcpu [-p] mode chcpu -r chcpu [-h] [-V] DESCRIPTION
chcpu can modify the state of CPUs. It can enable or disable CPUs, scan for new CPUs, change the CPU dispatching mode of the underlying hypervisor, and request CPUs from the hypervisor (configure) or return CPUs to the hypervisor (deconfigure). Some options have a cpu-list argument. Use this argument to specify a comma-separated list of CPUs. The list can contain individual CPU addresses or ranges of addresses. For example, 0,5,7,9-11 makes the command applicable to the CPUs with the addresses 0, 5, 7, 9, 10, and 11. OPTIONS
-r, --rescan Trigger a rescan of CPUs. Use this option on systems that do not automatically detect newly attached CPUs. The Linux kernel then recognizes the new CPUs. -c, --configure cpu-list Configure all specified CPUs. Configuring a CPU means that the hypervisor takes a CPU from the CPU pool and assigns it to the vir- tual hardware on which your kernel runs. -e, --enable cpu-list Enable all specified CPUs. Enabling a CPU means that the kernel sets it online. A CPU must be configured, see -c, before it can be enabled. -p, --dispatch mode Set the CPU dispatching mode (polarization). This option has an effect only if your hardware architecture and hypervisor support CPU polarization. Available modes are: horizontal The workload is spread across all available CPUs. vertical The workload is concentrated on few CPUs. -d, --disable cpu-list Disable all specified CPUs. Disabling a CPU means that the kernel sets it offline. -g, --deconfigure cpu-list Deconfigure all specified CPUs. Deconfiguring a CPU means that the hypervisor removes the CPU from the virtual hardware on which the Linux instance runs and returns it to the CPU pool. A CPU must be offline, see -d, before it can be deconfigured. -h, --help Display help information and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. AUTHOR
Heiko Carstens <heiko.carstens@de.ibm.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright IBM Corp. 2011 SEE ALSO
lscpu(1) AVAILABILITY
The chcpu command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. Linux June 2012 CHCPU(8)