Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help comparing Base Pairs within PERL Post 302655115 by ddreggors on Tuesday 12th of June 2012 09:14:36 PM
Old 06-12-2012
There are some big errors in there...

I see where you have tried to adopt some of what I have done but there are some points that you are missing.

Let's start here:

Code:
my $outputfile = "COUNTBASE";
unless (open(COUNTBASE, ">$outputfile")) {print "cant open file\n\n";
exit;}
print COUNTBASE "$dataline[7]";
close (COUNTBASE);
my $dnafile = <COUNTBASE>;
#Remove the newline from the dna file name
chomp $dnafile;
#Open this file or exit 
unless (open(COUNTBASE, $dnafile)){
         print  "can't open file \"$dnafile\"\n\n";
        exit;
}
#store dna information
my @dna = <COUNTBASE>;
#close now read file
close COUNTBASE;

At the top you are trying to open a file, and you appear to want to "READ" it because you try to set $dnafile with the filehandle. However your method is a slightly off, to read is "<", if writing (">") you would not try to GET content from the file into a variable (unless using read & write ("+<" or "+>").

Code:
my $outputfile = "COUNTBASE";
unless (open(COUNTBASE, ">$outputfile")) {print "cant open file\n\n";
exit;}
close (COUNTBASE);

should be something more like (if reading the file):

Code:
open(COUNTBASE, "<", "countbase.log") or die $!;
@data = <COUNTBASE>; 
close (COUNTBASE);

The open function is easiest to use when you stick to the 3 argument form. Also, when using a variable, you should escape the "$" symbol in the open function...
Taken from perldoc.org:
Quote:
open($fh, ">", \$variable) || ..
While that is not to say "only" takes 3 arguments, it is most often used that way. You can read more on that function at:
Perl Doc - Open Function

The "or die $!" says if we couldn't open the file, exit with the error that was returned while trying to open it. The "$!" variable contains the actual error that was returned to perl from the OS. You will want to see that error not "Could't open file". A generic error message is confusing and makes debugging very hard. The actual error will be more helpful in tracking down errors.

I suggest changing to this style for the rest of your file operations as well.

The errors you see are are actually correct because you try to use "COUNTBASE" which is the file handle (not the file name or even the file itself) AFTER you have closed it.

Code:
unless (open(COUNTBASE, ">$outputfile")) {print "cant open file\n\n"; exit;}
close (COUNTBASE); # CLOSE FILEHANDLE HERE
my $dnafile = <COUNTBASE>; # ERROR GENERATED HERE

Given that as a start, I am not sure exactly what you are trying to do with that section of code.

Consider this code:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;

open(FILE1,"<","file1.txt") or die $!; 
while (<FILE1>) {
	print $_;
}
close(FILE1);

RESULTS:
Code:
blah blah one
blah blah two
blah blah three

Now consider this code (more like yours):

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;

my $data;
$data = <FILE1>;
close(FILE1);
chomp $data;
print $data . "\n";

RESULTS:
Code:
blah blah one

That code is not what you want, you have type cast "data" as a string not an array!
Because of this you only managed to get the first line into the string variable.
What I think you wanted was something more like this though...

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;

my (@data, $row, @dataline);
@data = <FILE1>; 
close(FILE1);
foreach $row (@data) {
	@dataline = split('\s',$row);
	print $dataline[2] . "\n";
}

RESULTS:
Code:
one
two
three

Last edited by ddreggors; 06-12-2012 at 10:32 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl search and replace pairs

Hello all im facing some kind of problem i have this string : functionA() $" "$ functionB("arg1") $" = "$ i will like to replace all the pairs of opening and closing "$" to be something like that functionA() <#" "#> functionB("arg1") <#" = "#> i cant of course do is with simple ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Variables in Perl

Hi. I have three arrays. @a=('AB','CD','EF'); @b=('AB,'DG',HK'); @c=('DD','TT','MM'); I want to compare the elements of the first two array and if they match then so some substition. I tried using the if statement using the scalar value of the array but its not giving me any output. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamitsin
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing arrays in perl

Hi all, I am trying to compare two arrays in perl using the following code. foreach $item (@arrayA){ push(@arrayC, $item) unless grep(/$item/, @arrayB); ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL name value pairs substituions

I have a main file with variable tokens like this: name: File1 =========== Destination/Company=@deploy.company@ Destination/Environment=@deploy.env@ Destination/Location=@deploy.location@ Destination/Domain=@deploy.location@ MIG_GatewayAddresses=@deploy.gwaddress@ MIG_URL=@deploy.mig_url@... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uandme2k2
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing list values in Perl

Hi, I have tab separated list: KB0005 1019 T IFVATVPVI 0.691 PKC YES KB0005 1036 T YFLQTSQQL 0.785 PKC YES KB0005 1037 S FLQTSQQLK 0.585 DNAPK YES KB0005 508 S ENIISGVSY 0.507 cdc2 YES KB0005 511 S ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karla
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: simple comparing arrays question

Hi there, i have been trying different methods and i wonder if somebody could explain to me how i would perform a comparison on two arrays for example my @array1 = ("gary" ,"peter", "paul"); my @array2 = ("gary" ,"peter", "joe"); I have two arrays above, and i want to something like this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Comparing to two files and displaying the differences

Hi, I'm new to perl and i have to write a perl script that will compare to log/txt files and display the differences. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to use any complied binaries or applications like diff or comm. So far i've across a code like this: use strict; use warnings; my $list1;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dont_be_hasty
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Need help comparing huge files

What do i need to do have the below perl program load 205 million record files into the hash. It currently works on smaller files, but not working on huge files. Any idea what i need to do to modify to make it work with huge files: #!/usr/bin/perl $ot1=$ARGV; $ot2=$ARGV; open(mfileot1,... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in comparing two files using shell or Perl

I have these two file that I am trying to compare using shell arrays. I need to find out the changed or the missing enteries from File2. For example. The line "f nsd1" in file2 is different from file1 and the line "g nsd6" is missing from file2. I dont want to use "for loop" because my files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sags007_99
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl for comparing numbers from previous lines in a file?

Hi everyone I have a question for you, as I am trying to learn more about Perl and work with some weather data. I have an ascii file (shown below) that has 10 lines with different columns. What I would like is have Perl find an "anomalous" value by comparing a field with the values from the last... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucshi09
2 Replies