Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sun Hard Drive Wipes
Operating Systems Solaris Sun Hard Drive Wipes Post 302655079 by fpmurphy on Tuesday 12th of June 2012 05:34:04 PM
Old 06-12-2012
If you can boot a system and get to the root prompt, you could do
Code:
eeprom auto-boot?=false

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hard drive in Sun Ultra 10

What are the options on upgrading disk space in an Ultra 10 workstation? Sun states they are EIDE drives, are they standard or Sun specific? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
1 Replies

2. SCO

Processor and Hard Drive

I trying to learn Unix and I am using SCO Unixware 7.1. Below are three question that I have: 1) Can someone tell me what command I can use to find out the system processor speed. 2) Can someone tell me what command I can use to find out what's the hard drive size of my unix box. 3) Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etaup02
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing hard drive

Hi, Can someone answer to my question.I' totally new to Unix. What is the command for removing the hard drive from the system? Thanks a lot, Puja (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pujathakral
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to copy old hard drive to new hard drive.

:confused: ........I have a new hard drive and I need to copy ALL info from the old to the new. I would like to use the dd command. I know the command is as follows...... dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/???????? Where I have the question marks is the problem. How do I find out what the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

6. AIX

Hard Drive Question

Good day, I have an rs/6000 server, model 7044-270. I bought a 2nd hard drive for it but im not sure its the right one. (fru:H13060) As you surely know, the 7044-270 hard drives are put in some sort of tray/carrier. There is a cable that will interface the HDD with the tray/carrier so the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Netghost
0 Replies

7. Solaris

USB Hard Disk Drive Supported by Sun Fire V890

Hi, Can anyone suggest me any USB Hard Disk Drive which I can connect to Sun Fire V890 and take backup at a quick speed. A test with SolidState USB Hard Drive for backup work was taking writing at 2GB per hour for a 75GB backup. Regards, Tushar Kathe (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tushar_kathe
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Sun Ultra 2 Hard Drive Replacement

Hi all...I have an old Sun Ultra 2 running SunOS 5.7 (I know old). These machines have 2 hard drives and one of my drives fried. I bought some replacement drives and wanted to a simple "dd" command from my one good drive to copy all to the new replacement drive. The new drives however give me a... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: psantinello
11 Replies

9. Hardware

[solved] Sun Netra X1 - Adding a Second Hard Drive

As the title suggests, I'm trying to install a second drive (really want an OS mirror) on a Sun Netra X1. I've taken the spacer out, and had a go at with the drill-press so now I have a nice HDD tray. Have installed an IDE drive in the tray, plugged in the power and data cables that were... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
0 Replies
platform(4)							   File Formats 						       platform(4)

NAME
platform - directory of files specifying supported platforms SYNOPSIS
.platform DESCRIPTION
The Solaris operating environment release includes the .platform directory, a new directory on the Solaris CD image. This directory con- tains files (created by Sun and Solaris OEMs) that define platform support. These files are generically referred to as platform definition files. They provide a means to map different platform types into a platform group. Platform definition files in the .platform directory are used by the installation software to ensure that software appropriate for the architecture of the system will be installed. Sun provides a platform definition file named .platform/Solaris . This file is the only one that can define platform groups to which other platform definition files can refer. For example, an OEM platform definition file can refer to any platform group specified in the Solaris platform definition file. Other platform definition files are delivered by OEMs. To avoid name conflicts, OEMs will name their platform definition file with an OEM- unique string. OEMs should use whatever string they use to make their package names unique. This unique string is often the OEM's stock symbol. Comments are allowed in a platform definition file. A "#" begins a comment and can be placed anywhere on a line. Platform definition files are composed of keyword-value pairs, and there are two kinds of stanzas in the file: platform group definitions and platform identifications. o Platform group definitions: The keywords in a platform group definition stanza are: PLATFORM_GROUP The PLATFORM_GROUP keyword must be the first keyword in the platform group definition stanza. The value assigned to this keyword is the name of the platform group, for example: PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4c The PLATFORM_GROUP name is an arbitrary name assigned to a group of platforms. However, PLATFORM_GROUP typically equals the output of the uname -m command. PLATFORM_GROUP value cannot have white space and is limited to 256 ASCII characters. INST_ARCH The instruction set architecture of all platforms in the platform group, for example: INST_ARCH=sparc The INST_ARCH keyword value must be the value returned by the uname -p command on all platforms in the platform group. o Platform identifications: The keywords in a platform identification stanza are: PLATFORM_NAME The PLATFORM_NAME keyword must be the first keyword in the platform identification stanza. The PLATFORM_NAME is the name assigned to the platform, for example: PLATFORM_NAME=SUNW,SPARCstation-5 Typically, this name is the same as the value returned by the uname -icommand on the machine, but it need not be the same. The PLATFORM_NAME value cannot have white space and is limited to 256 ASCII characters. If it contains paren- theses, it must contain only balanced parentheses. For example. the string "foo(bar)foo" is a valid value for this keyword, but "foo(bar" is not. The other keywords in the platform identification stanza can be in any order, as long as the PLATFORM_NAME keyword is first. PLATFORM_ID The value returned by the uname -i command on the machine, for example: PLATFORM_ID=SUNW,SPARCstation-5 MACHINE_TYPE The value returned by the uname -m command on the machine, for example: MACHINE_TYPE=sun4c IN_PLATFORM_GROUP The platform group of which the platform is a member, for example: IN_PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4c The platform group name must be specified in the same file as the platform identification stanza or in the platform definition file with the name .platform/Solaris . The IN_PLATFORM_GROUP keyword is optional. A platform doesn't have to belong to a platform group. If a plat- form is not explicitly assigned to a platform group, it essentially forms its own platform group, where the platform group name is the PLATFORM_NAME value. The IN_PLATFORM_GROUP value typically equals the output of the uname -m command. IN_PLATFORM_GROUP value cannot have white space and is limited to 256 ASCII characters. INST_ARCH The instruction set architecture of the platform, for example: INST_ARCH=sparc This field is only required if the platform does not belong to a platform group. The INST_ARCH keyword value must be the value returned by the uname -i command on all platforms in the platform group. COMPATIBILITY
The installation program will remain compatible with the old Solaris CD format. If a Solaris CD image does not contain any platform defini- tion files, the installation and upgrade programs will select the packages to be installed based on machine type, that is, the value returned by the uname -p command. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Platform Group Definitions The following example shows platform group definitions from the .platform/Solaris platform definition file. # PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4u INST_ARCH=sparc Example 2: Platform Identification Stanzas The following example shows platform identification stanzas, which define systems that belong in a platform group, from the .plat- form/Solaris platform definition file. # PLATFORM_NAME=SUNW,SunFire PLATFORM_ID=SUNW,SunFire IN_PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4u PLATFORM_NAME=SUNW,Ultra-80 PLATFORM_ID=SUNW,Ultra-80 IN_PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4u # PLATFORM_NAME=SUNW,SunFire PLATFORM_ID=SUNW,SunFire IN_PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4u # PLATFORM_NAME=SUNW,Ultra-80 PLATFORM_ID=SUNW,Ultra-80 IN_PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4u FILES
The .platform directory must reside as /cd_image/Solaris_vers/.platform, where cd_image Is the path to the mounted Solaris CD (/cdrom/cdrom0/s0 by default) or the path to a copy of the Solaris CD on a disk. Solaris_vers Is the version of Solaris, for example, Solaris_2.9. NOTES
Typically, a platform identification stanza contains either a PLATFORM_ID or a MACHINE_TYPE stanza, but not both. If both are specified, both must match for a platform to be identified as this platform type. Each platform identification stanza must con- tain either a PLATFORM_ID value or a MACHINE_TYPE value. If a platform matches two different platform identification stanzas--one which matched on the value of PLATFORM_ID and one which matched on the value of MACHINE_TYPE , the one that matched on PLATFORM_ID will take precedence. The .platform directory is part of the Solaris CD image, whether that be the Solaris CD or a copy of the Solaris CD on a system's hard disk. SunOS 5.10 19 Nov 2002 platform(4)